Latest Linux distros thread?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I remember there was a thread at icf about the latest distros of the various versions of Linux... we getting one here?

I'm planning on installing RH9 dual boot with XP Pro on my secondary PC. I lost the link to Redhat's download site for it. Anybody have it?

Also, does anybody wanna dissuade me from using Redhat? If you can convince me to use another form of Linux (i.e. if it's superior) have at it!

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I use mandrake 9.1 just cause it was the simplest for me to get. I couldn't find the download sites for the others without a stupid subscription and stuff. I have learned the basics of the command line and can run stuff from it. Unfortunatly I still need to use the GUI when I setup permissions and move programs around and stuff.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    http://linuxiso.org/ for all your distro needs.

And I think redhat is a very good place to start. Only thing that makes one linux box superior to another is the administrator.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well, wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, sir!
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Rob said

And I think redhat is a very good place to start. Only thing that makes one linux box superior to another is the administrator. [/B]

/me totally agrees

I mean they all use the same kernel, the only difference is the software and installer that comes with each distro. Some people swear by Debian, others SLackware. If you really want to learn the ins and outs, I highly recommend doing a Linux From Scratch (LFS)
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    you have to install everything yourself and you really get a feel for how the whole system works instead of just letting a GUI install your system for you and leaving you to figure out the rest. I t can be a pain in the a$# sometimes, but it's really worth trying. Besides, you get to build your own 1337 distro, I mean, how cool is that?
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I would try a new one, but I already have all my server programs running and it would just be a pain to install a new OS, along with all the programs I need.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    -tk said
    I mean they all use the same kernel, the only difference is the software and installer that comes with each distro. Some people swear by Debian, others SLackware. If you really want to learn the ins and outs, I highly recommend doing a Linux From Scratch (LFS)
    you have to install everything yourself and you really get a feel for how the whole system works instead of just letting a GUI install your system for you and leaving you to figure out the rest. I t can be a pain in the a$# sometimes, but it's really worth trying. Besides, you get to build your own 1337 distro, I mean, how cool is that?

Gentoo also tries to achieve this by allowing you to compile- or as they call it, emerge- just what you need, using whatever C compiler you want, with whatever flags you want, with processor optimizations. Be warned- even on a fast system, compiling Gnome or KDE from source takes over 24 hours.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    you ever give blackbox or flubox a shot? very cool WM. totally configurable, and pretty small. Compiles in a few minutes. Fluxbox has KDE support and partial GNOME support so you can run a lot of those apps on it. If there's something you can't run, you may have to install some of the GNOME development libraries, but if you're looking to try a new WM on an existing system, chances are you've got most of that stuff installed already.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    Flux really rocks. Probably my favorite single monitor WM.

I use E, I have dual monitors and the little extra's that are bloat in some circumstances really pick up and give me added control. With dual monitors, 10 desktops, all wraped with a 3d pager, those little extra's help out.
  • -tk-tk
    wants dual monitors in a bad way
    Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    wants dual monitors in a bad way
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Heh, emerging KDE takes 60 hours on an XBox, rofl.......

NS
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    -tk said
    Rob said

And I think redhat is a very good place to start. Only thing that makes one linux box superior to another is the administrator.

* -tk totally agrees

you have to install everything yourself and you really get a feel for how the whole system works instead of just letting a GUI install your system for you and leaving you to figure out the rest. I t can be a pain in the a$# sometimes, but it's really worth trying. Besides, you get to build your own 1337 distro, I mean, how cool is that? [/B]

THANKS! Tomorrow I am gonna reformat and install WIndows 2000, along with it I'll begin this guide after printing it out or something.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    When using LinuxISO.org make sure you check the official website for the Distro as LinuxISO has a habbit of being slightly out of date sometimes.

NS