DSL runs good than computer crashes

edited March 2005 in Hardware
I was talked into taking DSL. I installed the software and followed the instructions to hook up everything on my Compaq Presario 6000z. Because I had so many worms, germs and viruses I downloaded and ran the Anti Virus software that came with the SBC-DSL. All this bad stuff was then gone.

DSL ran great for 6 days. During a period of time I was suppose to leave the modem on so the DSL Internet can be optimize. However it was OK to turn my computer off which I did. But, after the DSL ran so good after 6 days I was no longer able to log in on the Internet. I tried 2 or 3 times with no success and the message I was getting was more or less blaming the DSL server for this problem. Then I started getting error messages associated with this server and I was force to send the messages using dial-up. No more error messages.

But, the next time I turned on my computer all I got was a cursor in the top left corner on a black screen. And if I got the screens with the word Compaq and the screen to enter the BIOS, it only stayed on a couple of seconds then faded into a black screen and the cursor again. So in order to get these 2 screens which looked normal then and stayed on longer I have to press CTRL ALT and Delete. This computer just wasn't acting normal as a result of DSL messing it up. I couldn't even use the restore disk to restore the harddrive and the floppy didn't even work.

Can anyone give me any advice as how to get my Compaq Presario up and running again or should I just chalk it up to a really bad experience?

:bawling:

Comments

• gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    DSL can not be the reason that your computer is on the fritz...

What OS are you running?

It sounds like the bugs and virus's are not out of your system or the damage that they have done is not been fixed, that is if it can be fixed...

First off here is what I suggest... I don't know how experienced you are at this but you are in the right place, hopefully we can talk you through this.

You have to realize that you are most likely going to lose all of your data and have to start fresh.

I would start by clearing the CMOS/BIOS on your machine and set it back to defaults.

You need to see if you can find the information on your machine to tell you how to clear your CMOS.

Usually there is a jumper close to the battery onboard the mother board that you move from one position to another then back... Its easy if you know where to look.

I would also disconnect the power first then remove the CMOS battery. I'd let it rest that way for 5 to 10 min's or so just to be sure that all voltages have zeroed out and no stray power is filtering through the board... You can leave it longer if you want...

Then put the batt back in and the jumper back in the orgional position.

Then try and boot. you will most likely boot right into the BIOS setup screen where you will have to go and make some adjustments like the date and time and stuff, we can walk you through that when the time comes if you need it.

then if you can get past the BIOS screen and it trys to boot into your OS you have a few choices, you can try to scan your system again for bugs and see if you still have any or you can try to go in and save as much data that you can because my next suggestion is that you wipe out everything and start over.

sometimes you can get into a system long enough to save documents and pics or music to CD's so you can keep your important stuff and then reload them after you get the OS reloaded and running stable.

You could also try to do a repair of the OS by putting in your OS CD and letting it reinstall itself. You will have to answer some questions but for the most part it is not to difficult, we can help there too...

I'm positive that DSL itself is not the cause of your problem... Either you still have bugs in the system or the fixes that your anti-virus did to get rid of them has left major holes in your OS and mow it will not run right... I suspect that a little of both is true. Hopefully any of the bugs that you have/had did not cause any actuall damage to hardware or the CMOS.

With out a doubt if your system was as infected as your post suggested the absolute best way to fix your problem is a format and reinstall....

"g"
  • edited January 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    DSL can not be the reason that your computer is on the fritz...

What OS are you running?

It sounds like the bugs and virus's are not out of your system or the damage that they have done is not been fixed, that is if it can be fixed...

First off here is what I suggest... I don't know how experienced you are at this but you are in the right place, hopefully we can talk you through this.

You have to realize that you are most likely going to lose all of your data and have to start fresh.

I would start by clearing the CMOS/BIOS on your machine and set it back to defaults.

You need to see if you can find the information on your machine to tell you how to clear your CMOS.

Usually there is a jumper close to the battery onboard the mother board that you move from one position to another then back... Its easy if you know where to look.

I would also disconnect the power first then remove the CMOS battery. I'd let it rest that way for 5 to 10 min's or so just to be sure that all voltages have zeroed out and no stray power is filtering through the board... You can leave it longer if you want...

Then put the batt back in and the jumper back in the orgional position.

Then try and boot. you will most likely boot right into the BIOS setup screen where you will have to go and make some adjustments like the date and time and stuff, we can walk you through that when the time comes if you need it.

then if you can get past the BIOS screen and it trys to boot into your OS you have a few choices, you can try to scan your system again for bugs and see if you still have any or you can try to go in and save as much data that you can because my next suggestion is that you wipe out everything and start over.

sometimes you can get into a system long enough to save documents and pics or music to CD's so you can keep your important stuff and then reload them after you get the OS reloaded and running stable.

You could also try to do a repair of the OS by putting in your OS CD and letting it reinstall itself. You will have to answer some questions but for the most part it is not to difficult, we can help there too...

I'm positive that DSL itself is not the cause of your problem... Either you still have bugs in the system or the fixes that your anti-virus did to get rid of them has left major holes in your OS and mow it will not run right... I suspect that a little of both is true. Hopefully any of the bugs that you have/had did not cause any actuall damage to hardware or the CMOS.

With out a doubt if your system was as infected as your post suggested the absolute best way to fix your problem is a format and reinstall....

"g"

My Compaq Presario 6000z has Windows XP Home Edition on it. And as you can see by my username I don't like XP.

Yes, I agree that a virus did get my computer through the DSL. Sorry that I didn't mention this since I was very aware of this problem.

I'm pretty experienced and here is what I did.

Of course, I have all my files from that computer backed up. I'm a firm believer of backing up files pretty often, because I have some really important stuff.

And yes, I successfully clear the cmos and went into the BIOS and reset some things. The only 2 things that I still need to set is the time and date.

I don't have an OS CD with this computer. And I had to order the restore disks because I didn't get these either although the disks that I order says for use with new Compaq Computers. I was not happy because I didn't get any disk with the computer which I bought new at the time,

But, I have myself to blame as far as the Restore disks are concern, because I didn't bother to take time to make these disks from my computer before it crashed, big time.

Sorry, I didn't give you enough info. If you need more info, I will give it to you, if I know. Thanks.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    What happens if you try to boot into Safe Mode?
  • edited January 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What happens if you try to boot into Safe Mode?

Didn't get that far. I'm doing good to get the Screen that says Compaq and then the screen that has "Set Up" and "System Recovery". This thing is messed up bad.

But, when my computer first crashed I only got the screen a couple of times that had the various Safe Mode options. And nothing happened there either, not allowing me to go into Windows XP.

But, I might add that I set up another harddrive more than a year ago with ME on that Computer and went back to Windows XP when I realized that my other CD rom drives( one was a CD burner) wouldn't fit in the bays and the front wouldn't fit on the thing properly. Anyhow this harddrive which there was nothing wrong , didn't even work after I hooked it up.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    UM.....

Make sure CD-R Drive is not plugged into data or power, then try checking questions below if still issues other than Cd-R drive not detected any more-- Bad CD-R drive can cause a major IDE bus lock (HD might not get found, even). Give the Presario a good 15 minutes to "think" with blinking cursor (normally blinking cursor is BIOS and then Windows resetting video from scratch, takes a while).
    CMOS Battery??? RAM loose?????????? Video card or network card loose or modem card loose???? Cable of right kind plugged into network port????

Yes, in fact DSL and Presarios can hate each other, but nomrally you get a ccapp conflict and NOT a complete computer failure.
  • edited January 2005
    UM..... CMOS Battery??? RAM loose?????????? Video card or network card loose or modem card loose???? Cable of right kind plugged into network port????

It was recommended that I take all the cards out before I try to reinstall the system. But, I was going to take all of the cards out anyhow because common sense was telling me this since Windows have it's own drivers for the various components. Battery is fine, ram is tight and I checked everything else in the computer to make sure everything was tight. In fact I went ahead and replaced the ribbon cable for the hard drive. My DSL wouldn't have run great for 6 days if I had the wrong cables hooked up and I probably wouldn't have gotten errors messages pertaining to the DSL server.

But, I forget to say something as there is a lot to remember. Despite me using an Anti-Virus program, I was also getting messages that if I don't run an anti virus program that my computer may crash. Well the thing crashed anyhow even though I wasn't getting the messages anymore after running the Anti-Virus programs.

I'm really at a loss, because I have done everything so far that everyone has mentioned. Normally, I can fix a computer pretty quit, but this thing that happen is quite a different animal. :bawling:
    edited January 2005
    XPhater wrote:
    ...I was also getting messages that if I don't run an anti virus program that my computer may crash. Well the thing crashed anyhow even though I wasn't getting the messages anymore after running the Anti-Virus programs...
    That might be a result of SP2's new Security Center. It will pester you no end if it can't find an AV program.

Judging by your remarks, it appears that you are getting ready to reinstall Windows. Is that correct? If not, I'll toss a few more ideas out there for you. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Is this machine out of warranty??? It's just barely possible you got hit with a BIOS virus....
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Go into the BIOS and see if there's a hard drive test utility. I just fixed my friend's laptop, the hard drive mysteriously died. There were two tests in the BIOS, a quick and a thourough hard drive test. Both failed within 3 seconds of starting. The computer worked right away with the new hard drive.
    edited January 2005
    kanezfan wrote:
    Go into the BIOS and see if there's a hard drive test utility...
    That's a good idea. :thumbsup:

If there is no test in the BIOS, download the test utility from the drive manufacturer. A BIOS hang usually means that it's trying it's darndest to identify hardware that just plain doen't want to cooperate. Like a dying/dead drive... :rolleyes:
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    Well I suggest that you disconect the DSL and remove all cards and stuff except for the CPU/RAM/Video card. Clear the CMOS again after that and then try and boot into the system. if you get past the compac screen then I'd press F8 to try and boot into XP's safe mode.

Also, if the only thing you have is the recovery CDs they have the OS on them but it will reinstall everything back to the way it was when the machine was bought.

Also, XP is the best MS OS ever, peroid. If you are having problems with it you are most likely haveing compatibility issues or other hardware problems provided that you are useing the proper drivers for your hardware.

I'm not sure why DSL would be a factor other than to acknologe the fact that the always on connection and lack of proper protection allowed a virus to stirke your system.

I don't have DSL, I use a cable modem myself, but as far as I know the main difference is that you bring a telephone line into a DSL modem simular to a cable modem and then you connect the modem to a NIC or USB... I assume that any software that was installed on your computer was a propitery software that your DSL company uses to make the proper network and IP settings along with installing its own version of a browser for the internet and what not... For the most part I fail to see how the actual DSL itself can cause the issues that you are having.

I'm sorry I don't mean to offend anyone I am trying to help. I hate to see you so convinced that the installation of DSL caused you problem... If you have not gotten a virus you would likely not have encounted these issues.

It is possible that the DSL software that was installed did conflict with your system, I could see that, but that is not the DSL's fault its the company that provided you with a bogus software program that is used to set up your connection. There are many differnt DSL companys and Cable modem companys some use software and others do not.

Hopefully after you pull everytihng and reinstall your recovery CDs everything will settle down, don't forget to get your OS updated after you get it running and everything bak installed, it is possible that if you didin't have XP updated with SP2 and all the security updates that the DSL software could not properly install.

Keep us upto date as to how its going... Keep positive thoughts...

"g"
  • edited January 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    Well I suggest that you disconect the DSL and remove all cards and stuff except for the CPU/RAM/Video card. Clear the CMOS again after that and then try and boot into the system. if you get past the compac screen then I'd press F8 to try and boot into XP's safe mode.

Also, if the only thing you have is the recovery CDs they have the OS on them but it will reinstall everything back to the way it was when the machine was bought.

Also, XP is the best MS OS ever, peroid. If you are having problems with it you are most likely haveing compatibility issues or other hardware problems provided that you are useing the proper drivers for your hardware.

I'm not sure why DSL would be a factor other than to acknologe the fact that the always on connection and lack of proper protection allowed a virus to stirke your system.

I don't have DSL, I use a cable modem myself, but as far as I know the main difference is that you bring a telephone line into a DSL modem simular to a cable modem and then you connect the modem to a NIC or USB... I assume that any software that was installed on your computer was a propitery software that your DSL company uses to make the proper network and IP settings along with installing its own version of a browser for the internet and what not... For the most part I fail to see how the actual DSL itself can cause the issues that you are having.

I'm sorry I don't mean to offend anyone I am trying to help. I hate to see you so convinced that the installation of DSL caused you problem... If you have not gotten a virus you would likely not have encounted these issues.

It is possible that the DSL software that was installed did conflict with your system, I could see that, but that is not the DSL's fault its the company that provided you with a bogus software program that is used to set up your connection. There are many differnt DSL companys and Cable modem companys some use software and others do not.

Hopefully after you pull everytihng and reinstall your recovery CDs everything will settle down, don't forget to get your OS updated after you get it running and everything bak installed, it is possible that if you didin't have XP updated with SP2 and all the security updates that the DSL software could not properly install.

Keep us upto date as to how its going... Keep positive thoughts...

"g"

Did you read my post to gtghm and what I said? That I failed to tell you in my earlier post? If you did maybe you wouldn't have been so judgmental. I'm here to get help not a speech.

Although the DSL may not be the direct cause, a virus getting into the system can be the cause. All of the messages I get points to the DSL server.

I've done everything you said in your first paragraph except to clear the CMOS again and press F8 to force a boot. I will try this as soon as I get done with my post here and let you know.

This broad at SBC used high pressure tactics until I gave in to take DSL. How stupid of me to not have done my homework first. I found out that I needed to update my computer with the SP2. I know I was getting all sorts of messages to download patches which I did, but it wasn't good enough.

Lastly, A lot of people don't like XP and went to other OS's. The main reason I don't like it is it's too heavy with layered graphics and animations which don't add anything to it as far as speed. So it's the way the graphics work is the main reason I don't like XP.
  • edited January 2005
    I decided to try another disk as a boot disk in my CD rom drive. It is a Maxtor disk to prepare the hard drive. It at least got me to drive letters like C: and view the directories. Well, you know how those disks for new drives do taking you through a bunch of status reports. And here is what I'm finding when the status reports are done:

DriveX
    DriveY
    Command or filename not recognized.

And then I get X:\ for a drive letter.

But, now I can change to the C drive. I can now change to the floppy drive, but I have to change it to B: in order for the drive to work. I can now view all of the directories on these drives on any disk I have in.

I see that drive a is now drive b and drive is is now drive a. So what I'm seeing is all of the drive letters are all screwed up.

I was able to view the contents of drive d(partition of drive c). There isn't as much as one file on it. So I see that is probably the main problem. So if the file allocation tables are gone or anything else that is really important, I guess the restore disks isn't going to restore anything. So since I've decided to by another computer like it, maybe I can reformat that drive or another drive and than copy the XP OS to it and try it in the Compaq I have now.

I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing now that I'm seeing this. But, I'm still at a loss. I'm going to try something else now.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    I apologize if I was judgmental, I did't mean to, looking back on my posts I can see how you might have thought that. I was not judgeing at all just trying to educate.

You are right about just needing to get help.

It sounds like you have gotten past the BIOS screen now which is an improvement.

I wonder if you can get a hold of a utility like partition magic or sometihng like that that allows you to boot into a DOS enviroment and then set up or delete and format drives and partitions. Even if you could find a trial version that allows you to use it for a short peroid of time.

If you can dig that up then you can boot into it and format the drivevs in question back to pre-os installation... Even better yet is a utility that includes the ability to format it back to all zeros or ones on the whole drive and making it totaly clean.

That would give you a clean drive to installl the restore disks on and hopefully remove any information that might be on the drive that is causeing the problem.

"g"
    edited January 2005
    gtghm makes a good point about cleaning out your drive. The only thing I'd caution you on is that Compaq is famous for hiding the restore info on a hidden partition on your drive. This "restore info" often contains the cab files needed for restoring your OS.

As far as this goes:
    The main reason I don't like it is it's too heavy with layered graphics and animations which don't add anything to it as far as speed. So it's the way the graphics work is the main reason I don't like XP.
    It's easy to turn that stuff off, just yell if you want help doing it. (Assuming you get your other troubles settled.)

:wave:
  • edited January 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    I apologize if I was judgmental, I did't mean to, looking back on my posts I can see how you might have thought that. I was not judgeing at all just trying to educate.

You are right about just needing to get help.

It sounds like you have gotten past the BIOS screen now which is an improvement.

I wonder if you can get a hold of a utility like partition magic or sometihng like that that allows you to boot into a DOS enviroment and then set up or delete and format drives and partitions. Even if you could find a trial version that allows you to use it for a short peroid of time.

If you can dig that up then you can boot into it and format the drivevs in question back to pre-os installation... Even better yet is a utility that includes the ability to format it back to all zeros or ones on the whole drive and making it totaly clean.

That would give you a clean drive to installl the restore disks on and hopefully remove any information that might be on the drive that is causeing the problem.

"g"

I have partition magic. I just got to find it. But, will that straighten out the messed up drive letters? My computer can't find drive C: unless I put it there after running the Maxtor software. But, once I take that disk out and reboot the BIOS defaults back to X again?
    edited January 2005
    XPhater wrote:
    I have partition magic. I just got to find it. But, will that straighten out the messed up drive letters? My computer can't find drive C: unless I put it there after running the Maxtor software. But, once I take that disk out and reboot the BIOS defaults back to X again?
    Run Partition Magic (once you find it!) and tell us what it finds in the way of drive partitions. I wouldn't change anything until we have a chance to comment on what you actually have set up on your drive.
  • edited January 2005
    I found the Partition Magic. Don't have a working O.S to run Partition Magic. I'm only able to view the files and directories of the C partition. There is absolutely nothing on the D partition of this drive. They all been wiped out. Partition Magic needs to be installed.
    edited January 2005
    Installing Partition magic is a waste of time. To make use of it you need to boot from the CD/Floppies and go from there in DOS mode.

What version of PQMagic do you have?
  • edited January 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Installing Partition magic is a waste of time. To make use of it you need to boot from the CD/Floppies and go from there in DOS mode.

What version of PQMagic do you have?

I tried booting from the Partition Magic CD, but it doesn't work. I just feel like this thing has probably sung it's swan song since I don't get any beeps, error messages, nothing when I try to boot. I just get a blinking cursor when the Compaq screen isn't on or I'm not in the BIOS. I wished I got some kind of message. When I get another computer which is going to be a used one I will then do something with those 2 drives.

I had another Compaq before this one and it crashed too. But, fortunately I was able to fix that one and get it running good. Since I've had a lot of trouble with it before that, I got rid of it after I got it fixed. This Compaq was for the birds also.

But, the Computer I'm using now I built myself and it has never given me a moment's trouble. I built this one 3 or 4 years ago. The first computer that I built really ran good as well, but it quickly became obsolete and was too slow for the Internet. But, strangely I still have the motherboard, processor and everything else that goes with it including the power supply. The case was falling apart and I got rid of it. But, I can put all that stuff in another case and it would work just fine.

Anyhow, I would like to thank everyone here for helping me. I feel like you know more about getting computers fix than those people that HP calls computer technicians. I quit using technical support a long time ago, because they knew very little and I ended up finding the problem myself. But, in the case of this 2nd Compaq, the only way that I will probably be able to fix it is to replace the mother board. I can't see where the BIOS chip can be removed like on other computers. Looks like everything is soldered on except for the processor.

This is the first computer I couldn't fix and I've had many computers over the years which quickly became obsolete, but was always able to fix anything that was thrown at me. I got my first computer in 1982 and it was a Radio Shack TRS-80 color. Whew, talk about slow. Didn't even have a floppy drive in it.
    edited January 2005
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. :rolleyes:

As one last-gasp idea, depending on your version of Partition Magic, sometimes you need to use the CD to make some bootable floppies. My PQM version 8.0 makes a couple disks which boot up under DrDos.

Just a thought...
  • edited January 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. :rolleyes:

As one last-gasp idea, depending on your version of Partition Magic, sometimes you need to use the CD to make some bootable floppies. My PQM version 8.0 makes a couple disks which boot up under DrDos.

Just a thought...

This Partition Magic allows me to make a bootable disk, but I would have to install the software in order to do it. I'm just going to chalk this up to a bad experience and be weary of high pressure slick talkers wanting to sell me anything like DSL before I have a chance to do some homework first. I did my homework when I first got on the Internet and went with the ISP I have now. I've had this ISP since day one.
    edited January 2005
    XPhater wrote:
    ...I'm just going to chalk this up to a bad experience and be weary of high pressure slick talkers wanting to sell me anything like DSL before I have a chance to do some homework first. I did my homework when I first got on the Internet and went with the ISP I have now. I've had this ISP since day one.
    There are millions of people who use DSL to get on the 'net. The vast majority of them have no problems once it's up and working.

There is something else in play here.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Precisely. The DSL is not at fault, and technically speaking it's impossible for it to be <i>at</i> fault at all.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2005
    I am one of the millions of happy DSL customers! I even have SBC DSL....and i love it.

Sorry to hear about you Compaq troubles, but i also agree that it has absolutely nothing to do with your DSL being inherently "bad." I think you got a few nasty virus/trojans b/c your system was hooked up directly to a high speed line without proper protection, and it has spoiled your DSL experience. I think we can help you overcome this problem and get you back on the DSL train. Another thing is that the SBC DSL software is NOT neccesary in order to get Internet access. And i believe this is where your troubles started.

The bundled A/V software that comes with the SBC DSL setup stuff is probably old and out of date. You should have skipped that install, and went with something else. You can download a free A/V like AVG, AntiVir, etc... or you can spend some money and get Norton A/V 2005. I know all of this is a mute point b/c you can't get into windows to do anything, but it is more for future reference.

I also think you should be behind a router with a built-in hardware firewall. You can find them for very cheap if you don't wan't wifi. I am assuming (since you installed the SBC software) that you had your DSL modem hooked directly to your Compaq. The safer way would be to have it set up like this...

phoneline---->DSl modem----> router
    > pc(s)

This way you don't need the SBC software, since your router will connect to the SBC servers for your internet access, and then "route'" it to your pc(s). You should enable the firewall built-in to your router, add a good A/V app, and be careful when surfing/clicking, and your security will have improved greatly.

Ok, all of this is assuming you can get your Compaq back up and running. I think it is still possible. First off, ditch the restore cd's. Spend $100 and get a regular copy of winXP Home or a little more for winXP Pro. With that you will be able to do a format and re-install of winXP direct from the cd. This is the only way i would reccomend fixing your system, since doing anything else won't ensure all of the trojans and virii are gone.

Last if you think XP has a bunch of useless graphics and animations, just wait untill longhorn comes out! Even more useless stuff!
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    XPhater wrote:
    This Partition Magic allows me to make a bootable disk, but I would have to install the software in order to do it. I'm just going to chalk this up to a bad experience and be weary of high pressure slick talkers wanting to sell me anything like DSL before I have a chance to do some homework first. I did my homework when I first got on the Internet and went with the ISP I have now. I've had this ISP since day one.

If you're interestead, I could prolly make up a set of bootable floppies for PM7 and send them to ya... Prolly take like 3 days max to get to you if you're in the US... PM me if you're interestead.

Good luck,
    "g"
  • edited January 2005
    OH JOY, OH JOY. I found my problem. For some reason, I whipped out an old drive with Windows 95. And to my delight, it booted up just find and went into Windows 95 and the hardware was being found. Of course I didn't have any of of the software handy to install. But, this is telling me one thing and that the problem is limited to the harddrive. So, what I need to do now is buy Windows XP and install it on a good drive. So there seems to be no problems with the computer itself.

;D
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited January 2005
    Glad you got it going.

Cheers,
    "g"
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Call Compaq and tell them your hard drive died (woot for me and my expert diagnosis :rarr: ) If the computer is still inder warranty they should send you a new drive, otherwise, you get yourself a new drive, but tell them that you need them to send you the recovery software if they didn't send it to you on CDs and it was on the hard drive instead.
  • edited February 2005
    I already have a hard drive that I reformated for Windows XP about a half hour ago on the Compaq Presario 6000z. I just need to buy the XP OS so I can install it. My computer has been out of warranty for probably a year and a half. I have restore disks already, but I had problems with them. The File Allocation Tables are all messed up and the original drive don't sound right anymore. So I may as well kiss it goodbye. The drive I'm going to use is 120 GB, much more memory than the original drive.