Taking apart a CRT Monitor?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Hardware
So I wanna see if I can do anything to fix my old monitor, though it ain't actually all that old, 4 years or so maybe. It's a 19" SONY Trinitron. The thing is... I just don't think it's actually BAD, but more or less screwed up. ;D

One day it was working perfectly fine, the next it wouldn't turn on all the way. And actually, make that day 15 minutes becuase it was when I left my computer to use the restroom that when I returned it wasn't on.

When you turn it on, I can hear the static inside like usual, the light turns green for a moment then turns off as if it's going into hibernation. So I figure it may just be the cord, but then again, I don't get the usual error stating that it may not be plugged into the computer.

What do you think? Fixable? Or not worth it since I have no health insurance?

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2005
    Well look at it this way. The CRT on there is gonna have something like 19,000 volts across it at a pretty substantial amperage. it's more than enough to kill you.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Or will it.......!

Yeah it probably will.... but I'd die knowing I tried my best and failed! ;D
    edited February 2005
    Ah yes, the sweet taste of utter and complete failure. :p
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    So what use is a dead monitor? Is there anyone willing to buy it for like..... $20 or more? Or is it a 67lbs paper weight?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2005
    RWB wrote:
    So what use is a dead monitor? Is there anyone willing to buy it for like..... $20 or more? Or is it a 67lbs paper weight?
    It's worse than that. Because of environmental concerns, many counties make you pay them to have it hauled away. :eek:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    It's worse than that. Because of environmental concerns, many counties make you pay them to have it hauled away. :eek:

Those dirty greedy environmentalist bastards!!!! I wonder how much their ass will stretch before ripping when I shove it up... their ass..... :wtf:
    edited February 2005
    No, actually CRTs contain a great deal of highly toxic material. Most computer equipment does. It's perfectly safe in its normal operational state of course, but once it gets out into a landfill and stuff gets broken and starts to leak and break down and stuff, you have problems.

the glass screen in a CRT is just the front of a hollow tube that takes up most of the space inside the monitor's housing. It's shaped more-or-less like an Erlenmeyer flask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlenmeyer_flask) with a square/rectangular base (the "base" being the screen). That entire thing is made out of leaded glass. Rather thick leaded glass, in fact, as the tube is under a vacuum, and over such a large surface area, 1 atmosphere (14.7psi) is quite a bit of pressure... Which is why CRTs are so heavy. And lead is a hazardous material. The electrolyte in electrolytic caps is not nice stuff to have floating around in the environment either. Copper is highly toxic as well. CRTs are just not good things to be going into landfills, and for very good reasons.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2005
    RWB wrote:
    Those dirty greedy environmentalist bastards!!!! I wonder how much their ass will stretch before ripping when I shove it up... their ass..... :wtf:
    Well, if it's a 19" monitor... ;D

To be serious, the place where I used to live had an amnesty day a couple times a year where you could take it down to the dump and drop it off at no charge. They had a deal with a company specializing in that sort of thing there with a big truck to haul it away for recycling.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2005
    I had almost a dozen old 20" monitors that were dead to dispose of. In my neighberhood at the time you could set stuff on the curb and there were hoards of people that drove around the night or day before the trash trucks came around and scarfed stuff they thought could be sold at garage sales or flea markets etc...

Those monitors were not in front of my house 30 minutes before they were all scarfed up.

They were MUCH older then yours. If you call around you can probably find a place to fix it for $100 to $150. Thats about the quotes I got to fix the old 20" mitsubishi and Hitachi monitors I had. They were basicaly charging a set price to fix anything but the main tube for that price.

I have taken quite a few apart as I used to paint the cases black to match the computer case and keyboard. I was painting computers 15 years ago before this was even thought of by most.

H*LL I sold a network of almost 30 computers in Aspen in the late 80's because the guy was shopping around and came into my shop and I told him what to buy and he says... But those beige cases really clash with my just redecorated offices. Guy spent half a mil having his sexy young wife decorate the offices in soft pastel colors. I was sitting there with my mouth open. He didnt care what was inside. He wanted "pretty" ones. I was like... you mean if I was to paint them all to match the new offices you would buy these today. He whooped out his check book and I bought a nice spray gun and actually mixed up paint to exactly match the colors in his office and got to spend several delighful afternoons with his Playboy Playmate caliber model wife working out the details. He was in his 50's and a millionare many times over and she was maybe 25 and hotter then a firecracker. Shorts and halter tops cut so low you had to really try hard not to just stare. What worried me the most though was her devilish grin when she caught ya staring. I still just almost swallow my tongue thinking of her bending over in those Daisy Duke cut off shorts. OMG. And turning around and grinning while she is bent over at the waist. My wife at the time would have to sand blast the grin off my face at night when I came home. talk about a "good day at the office". Oh sh*t.

You had to love Aspen Colorado in the 80's. Rich folks with far more money then sense.

Tex
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited February 2005
    Don't poke around inside a CRT Monitor unless you know exactly what you're doing.

You see that little lead going up to the tube? It's carrying 25Kv from the Line output transformer. Low current, but it can still seriously ruin your day.

And all that black stuff coating the tube? That's known as the Aquadac coating and is one big capacitor. That can also whack you with 25Kv.

You have two choices: dispose of it or get a quote from a local TV/Monitor repair shop.

A Sony 19" Trinitron is a nice piece of kit. It may be worth getting repaired.

But there again, with the popularity of TFT Monitors, CRT Monitors are cheap now.

You have to weigh up the finances and make a decision.
  • polarys425polarys425 Harrisonburg, VA
    edited February 2005
    RWB wrote:
    So I wanna see if I can do anything to fix my old monitor, though it ain't actually all that old, 4 years or so maybe. It's a 19" SONY Trinitron. The thing is... I just don't think it's actually BAD, but more or less screwed up. ;D

One day it was working perfectly fine, the next it wouldn't turn on all the way. And actually, make that day 15 minutes becuase it was when I left my computer to use the restroom that when I returned it wasn't on.

When you turn it on, I can hear the static inside like usual, the light turns green for a moment then turns off as if it's going into hibernation. So I figure it may just be the cord, but then again, I don't get the usual error stating that it may not be plugged into the computer.

What do you think? Fixable? Or not worth it since I have no health insurance?

you in the states? if so, what state? if you'd be lucky enough to be close by we might be able to fix it.

i have a 21" Sony that did the exact same thing you describe, and i fixed mine. in mine it was component failure in the power supply portion of the monitor. a double transistor shorted out, taking out a .1 ohm fusible resistor and a 470uf ceramic cap.

as stated before though, danger lurks in these things, so dont go poking around in it if you dont know what your doing.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Orlando FL, I'll keep it around just becuase I don't need it repaired and I have plenty of room. It went out a couple months ago, had it replaced, but they let me keep it. Luckily the extended warrantee still had a little less than a year left.
  • edited February 2005
    If you'll leave a monitor (or TV for all that matter) unplugged for a few (2 or 3) weeks the high voltages will neutralize on their own.

You can also make a discharging resistor that you use to short the two legs of a capacitor together by attaching leads and insulated alligator clips to a 1 mega ohm 10w wirewound resistor, you then clip one clip to one leg and the other clip to the other leg and let it sit for about twenty minutes.

Make certain to wear heavy rubber gloves when you're doing something like this and wear rubber soled shoes as well and don't hold onto anything that will give you a good path to ground.

High voltages can be worked around as long as you take the proper precautions and remain cautious at all times, a small shock might feel kinda good at first but a big shock can kill you and it's not the voltage that will kill you but rather the amperage that will do you in.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2005
    I made the mistake op opening my 14" ibm monitor when i was like 13. I got a good jolt to say the least :rolleyes: . And that was with the monitor unpluged for roughly 3h before my atempt @ servicing it.
  • edited February 2005
    madmat wrote:
    If you'll leave a monitor (or TV for all that matter) unplugged for a few (2 or 3) weeks the high voltages will neutralize on their own.

Not always true. In newer monitors/TVs, yes. In older sets (or even newer ones depending on the damage) this isn't the case.
  • edited February 2005
    I've yet to see a capacitor that can hold a charge for more than several days. The only things I've seen that do are called batteries and I havent see those built into monitors/TV's as of yet.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2005
    Take it to a repair shop or have a look yourself. The power supply is a swiched mode PSU which monitors all sorts of things. If it detects a fault it will shut down to prevent futher damage. It could be something as simple as a dry joint or other bad connection. As floppy said, the tube is a very large capacitor which holds a lot of voltage but it will only bite you if you go across it. I've never discharged one and never had a shock. If you don't mess with it or the line output transformer you should be ok. This high voltage is between the inside and the outside of the tube and you have to complete a circuit before anything happens. I wouldn't want to dismiss the hazard though, if in any doubt discharge it.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Last post: 8 Feb 2005, 4:14am.
  • edited October 2010
    About two months ago I came across a friend's damaged CRT monitor and I took a look at it. Nothing bad happened to me (but I have to say, I was VERY CAREFUL), and we were lucky: The problem was only the PSU, so it was easy to solve.

Before opening it or doing anything, by the way, I searched a lot of information, and finally came across this page from which I learned a lot:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/monfaq.htm#mondis

So take a look at it if you really want to try something. But please, be careful, read it, be sure that you understand and if you are not sure of something, don't touch it, and take the whole thing to a repair center. CRT monitors are certainly dangerous as you will see if you take a look at the link. I don't want anyone to get seriously hurt because of my fault.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Capacitor discharge could result in death. Do not do this unless you are qualified.