mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
As always here are the rules for hosting a SMx rig.

1) Team member must be in good standing and have shown dedication to Team Short-Media, former Team Icrontic, and the Folding@Home project for the long haul. Past participation and contributions are taken into account.

2) The member must be able to provide SM19 with a safe and secure environment for an extended period of time - this means an indeterminate period.

3) You must be knowledgeable in building computers and loading operating systems, and all that is entailed. You are at Short-Media.com, there is a wealth of knowledge, use it. In the event the rig should fail, the host is expected to make a good effort in trying to repair the rig and report to the team what is going on.

4) Dedicated, "always-on" Internet connection 24/7, 56K and up, and a free port on an existing network (we don't normally supply routers/hubs/switches with the SMx rig). If the internet connection should fail, the host is expected to make good faith efforts to get back online as soon as is possible.

5) The computer must run and as a result, "Fold" 24/7. (Yes, the Team is generous enough to allow you to go on vacation and turn it off.) Keep in mind that 24-hour operating will increase your electricity bill by up to a few dollars per month. The Team expects the host to make good faith efforts to keep the rig running as much as is possible.

6) The computer shall fold for Team #93, under the user name of "SMx" exclusively unless it has been voted on to make it differently. The team can/will monitor the rigs output by way of statistics provided by Stanford, Statsman and the like.

7) In the event the host can no longer host the SMx rig or he/she is not able to run the rig for an extended period of time due to things like being called to duty in the armed forces for example, it is to be found a new host by normal host selection process.

8) What does the host get out of this? The pride of being able to host a SMx Folding rig, one of very few to earn this privilege. To be able to help Team Short-Media be the best team and the F@H project find cures.

Disclaimer;
- All Team-donated parts that go into a SMx donated Folding@Home computer are property of the Short-Media.com Folding@Home Team.
- Short-Media.com, and/or its owner(s), and/or administrator(s), and/or moderator(s), and/or member(s), shall not be held responsible or liable for any losses incurred either directly, or indirectly as a result of hosting any SMx rig. The host selected shall bear full responsibility for said rig. By applying to be selected as a host, you acknowledge you understand, agree with, and will abide by these rules as set forth here and as may be amended in the future as required.
-Hosts must provide contact information such as phone number and address in case an emergency contact needs to be made.

NOTE; This entire project and the rules set forth above is/are based on TRUST. We, the team, trust that you, the host, will do all you can to keep the rig folding as much as is possible, in its name, for the Short-Media.com Folding Team. You, the host, trust, that we, Team Short-Media, support you in every way we can.

So anyone that can meet the requirements posted above and would like to host such a machine, please enter your name in the 'hat' and a host will be picked in a week depending on the number of entries.

Any other useful info like internet connection, hosting facilities, and experience would help the committee greatly in choosing a host for SM19.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Heh, I could apply when I move into the attic, but said attic is going to take 'x' amount of time to complete, and we all know what 'x' usualy is :(

NS
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2003
    I'll throw my hat in again... :)

"g"
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Me too. Third Time is the Charm... (I hope).
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2003
    I'm not gonna make myself seem a first-choice for this. I'm not sure I want to be... But being in the dorms again this year (2nd year @ RIT) I've got free power, and a 1.5mip up & down outta my room itself. :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    gtghm
    QCH2002
    Jonsey

One more and we have as many as last time.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Come on people get your names in the hat!...this is an awesome privilege. I would put my name in the hat, but I cant dedicate the machine being on 24/7 right now. (Saving $ for baby on the way)

Do we get a little info on the stats Marc?

If you guys dont put ur names in, than I'm gonna throw mine in and just work overtime to provide SM19 with a safe home.

SO GET A MOVE ON! ;)

fc
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    yes..get those names in the hat...right now i dont know if i have nough room..plus my mom is killing me cuz of the bill :(
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Throw my name in the hat. I've got enough room on the router and the powerstrip to run another comp 24/7.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    sounds kewl. I have my own house, cable web connection. a small lan that is NATed behind a firewall. I have 3 PCs (2 of which fold, that one that doesnt is a lappy and folding makes it way too hot) and 1 xbox on it now.

BTW I also have some older hardware I can donate, old pc133 ram, 900mhz athlon on an old epox mobo.

please throw me in the hat.
    edited August 2003
    New requirement made for new/all hosts. We need to be able to make an emergency contact if something ever goes awry. The info will be kept private amoung the host committee.
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited August 2003
    I'm in. I got abolutely nothing but time to sit in front of the 'puter!
  • BuiesCreek847BuiesCreek847 In a van, down by the river, NC Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Don't know if I qualify :buck:. Saw a sign on the main page that said; "Be a part of history! Throw your name in the hat for the chance to host a dedicated folding machine for Team 93!".
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Of course, BC! So long as you switch all your machines over to Team 93. :p
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    mmonnin said
    New requirement made for new/all hosts. We need to be able to make an emergency contact if something ever goes awry. The info will be kept private amoung the host committee.

Not a problem.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2003
    I'll through my name into the hat as well!

(24/7 cable connection, spare port on the lan, enough room, own flat, no wife, girlfriend, children or pets.) would like some ;)

Regards

Jim :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Jimborae said
    (or pets.) would like some ;)

I'm assuming you mean you want the kind of pet that's housed in a metal box and folds all day long? ;)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2003
    I'm assuming you mean you want the kind of pet that's housed in a metal box and folds all day long?

lol. ... Ahhh, I see you share my fetish for "pet puters" as well. ;)

Jim
    edited August 2003
    Any one else??
    edited September 2003
    Well.... I assume that the decision will be made some time today or tomorrow (Tuesday). I'm eagerly a waiting....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I would give it another week, just in case.....

NS
    edited September 2003
    Usually is just one week, but with school and the labor day holiday, I understand. Gives me more time to finish the space for the SM-19. I want to make a dedicated shrine. Ligting, cooling, and power all set, so SM-19 can be built and up in no time............ assuming I am gifted with the honor to build and host such a wonder Folding machine as SM-19.

Kiss'n up like never before!!!!
    edited September 2003
    Selection will be soon. One of these 7 members:

gtghm
    QCH2002
    Jonsey
    Pseudonym
    FormFactor
    machinegunkelly
    Jimborae
    edited September 2003
    fatcat, fatcat, fatcat........:rockon:

oh wait....:scratch:

:bigggrin:

good luck to those 7 peeps...

:thumbsup:

fc
    edited September 2003
    Did you want in Fatcat? Maybe I misread your post but you have declined before because of baby and all.
    edited September 2003
    you have a good memory man!..i would love to put my name in hat, but like I said earlier due to an upcoming addition to the household, I cant provided 24/7 operations at this point. I was just teasing with the 7 candidates;)

fc
    edited September 2003
    Ok but I want pics.:)