Computer lab loot

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
I helped dismantle an old lab on campus yesterday. The orders were to put them in the scrap room to be picked up by our repo company. I asked to be allowed to scrounge from the lab, and got the thumbs up. I'm not sure to what degree these parts will be useful for the SMx project, but I will list them and if they are I can possibly get more.

9 HDs that are 1-2 GB
4 floppy drives
3 NICs (questionable)

I also got 4 complete Kingdom systems built in 1998. I did this under the assumption they would be ATX and all we'd have to do is swap out the mobo/memory/CPUs. I'm still unsure about this. Do you think we could likely do this?

I also have 7 sticks of RAM. This is what's on the sticker:
8x64
PC 100-322-620

I'm under the impression they are half-gig sticks, but might be too slow to be any good to us anyway. I could even be wrong about the half-gig part, but I know they are at least 128. 8x64=512, so... yeah. Excuse my lack of knowledgablity on this, I don't claim to be a hardware guru in any respect ;)

Let me know what to keep, what to pitch, and/or what to get more of.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The HDs will be useful. I think that RAM is 64MB PC100. The 8x64 is 8 chips of 64Mbits. Or something like that.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    HDDs, NICs (if good), and anything else you can pick up. As long as they are ATX then pick them up if you want.

I got an email to saying they are selling some old computer parts at school tomorrow I will have to check it out. Mwuahahahaha. I love it.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    the harddrives will have to use windows 98...if im not mistaken
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Would be even better to install something like a no crap Slackware install or something like Gentoo on those drives, save having to touch Windows and you will have plenty of room to spare.

NS
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Would be even better to install something like a no crap Slackware install or something like Gentoo on those drives, save having to touch Windows and you will have plenty of room to spare.

NS

That's a good idea with such small drives. A no-frills Linux install would do the job and make the drives very usable :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    You can fit 2k on less than a gig. Not sure if you can fit all the patches on it tho including SP4 and such. I have it on a 1.2GB HDD.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    IC4 is running Win2K and with a 384MB swapfile I'm at exactly 1GB.