Device manager says I have 2 processors

2»

Comments

• MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2003
    God help the next new member who wanders in here with a big processor.

Good to have you aboard Scott...enjoy the forums, ask questions, bring raw meat to toss in the opposite direction you want to go to trick the others...and above all...welcome!
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    O.K.

When I first started folding I checked the task manager , it showed F@H using 50% and win media player using 50%. I had just finished editing some AVI footage and thought that the media player was hanging, so I ended the task. The 50% it was using switched to SVCHost. ( Screen shot below ) This is just a guess but I think F@H is using it but calling it something else. While I was typing this I thought " Hey ,I'll pause it and see what happens" FAHCORE went to 0 and SVCHost went up to 80. I am confuzzeled:confused:

Any Ideas?

Buhler.........anyone....?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    MediaMan said
    God help the next new member who wanders in here with a big processor.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    scott said
    O.K.

When I first started folding I checked the task manager , it showed F@H using 50% and win media player using 50%. I had just finished editing some AVI footage and thought that the media player was hanging, so I ended the task. The 50% it was using switched to SVCHost. ( Screen shot below ) This is just a guess but I think F@H is using it but calling it something else. While I was typing this I thought " Hey ,I'll pause it and see what happens" FAHCORE went to 0 and SVCHost went up to 80. I am confuzzeled:confused:

Any Ideas?

Buhler.........anyone....?

Run a second instance of f@h console :)

Use the advanced options to select a machine ID of 2 (as instance 1 you are currently running has an ID of 1) :)

You have a virtual CPU.. and WMP is only single CPU aware (hence why it was only using 50% CPU usage) :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    50% is sitting unused.
    You need to intall a second FAH, make sure that it is the console version. Make every setting identical to your first, except give it machine id 2.
    Then you will be ripping.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    That second processor will definately help us out :) When the parents brought home a box from their job and I heard it had a P4 with HT in it, my first thought was "folding box".

Basically what you'll want to do after you download the console version is make a seperate folder from your initial installation of F@H, then run the program you downloaded (it doesn't install, that's the program itself). You should run through its config which is pretty straightforward for the most part. If you don't understand something, leave it at default like I did :) Eventually you'll get the option to configure advanced options. Select yes, and you'll run through some more options which you can leave at default, but the important thing is Machine ID. Your original F@H installation will default to 1, so you want this one as two. That's the most important part for running two instances of F@H. Next, make a shortcut to the F@H with the 2nd machine ID and add the -local command switch to the shortcut. Right click on the shortcut -> Properties -> Add it to the end of whatever's in the Target box. I.E: "C:\FoldingCPU2\FAH3Console.exe" -local

This will tell the instance of F@H to keep inside its own directory. Good luck, and welcome to the team. Get a sig! :P
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited September 2003
    The important detail to remember is that not all programs are SMP optimized and those that are may not be perfectly balanced.

For example: Adobe Premiere isn't fully SMP aware. (Simultaneous Multi Processing). Yes it does use two processors but not in balance. I have found that an SMP aware program like Adobe After Effects does use both processors evenly but only to 50% each. 50% + 50% = 100%

SMP is more "load balancing" than 100% CPU utilization.

With Hyperthreading the technology "fools" the system to think there are two processors. Essentially...and very basically...the unused CPU cycles, and there are a lot, are piled together to form another virtual processor. Hyperthreading then allows for that load balance.

Which is pretty amazing when you figure it's one processor.

Is Hyperthreading as fast as two processors or as good as two processors?...no...but it is better than one on some applications. As usual hyperthreading to be well utilized requires software that is geared towards that process. All software will run no problem...but some may be optimized and some won't.

Folding at home software should "back off" when another program has priority. Folding at home software should take the back seat when you want to do something else thus it won't steal your processing power.

If you hit CTL-ALT-DEL and bring up your task manager you should be able to see two processor utiilzation windows in one of the tabs. Try exporting one of your timelines (rendering for a minute) and see what the load balance looks like. If I am correct and you are using ADOBE PREMIERE then one should be slightly higher than the other. I'm unsure about CPU utilzation with programs like ULEAD.
    edited September 2003
    I now have 2 clients running . but....I think i messed up when assinging percentage. I told it 50% The original is using 50 but the scond is only using 25% Can I edit ? I tried restarting it but it just blew right past that.

Scott
    edited September 2003
    To change options, You'll need to start it with the -config command switch. After you're done, make sure to take that off. If you have to close that instance for any reason, and try to restart it, you'll have to redo the process.

Something might be eating that extra 25%. Running a lot of programs in the taskbar?
    edited September 2003
    Templar

Could you "walk me through it" ( config command switch )?
    That 25% is with nothing running but fah. The task manager says that the system idle process is using the other 25%.

Thanks

Scott
    edited September 2003
    First, make a shortcut to the F@H executable (Right click on icon -> Create shortcut), then Right click on that shortcut -> Properties.

In properties, you should see a box labeled "Target", and something along the lines of "X:\folder\folder\FAHConsole3.exe", where X is your main drive and folders are any folders that FAHConsole3.exe resides in. What you wanna do, is put a space, then -config after the end quote, another space, then -local. Start the program, and run through config. After you do that, go back into the shortcut properties, and take out -config (you want one space between the last quote and -local, though I don't think it matters much, but it keeps it simple).
    edited September 2003
    Thanks !!

Both running at 50%

Scott
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Hey Scott, check this out.:)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Both running at 50%

Good! You are now ready to kick serious Folding booty.

Now, if you want an interesting monitoring view, install Motherboard Monitor 5, and set it up to display CPU usage. You can select two CPUs, and have it display percentage usage for each "CPU" in the systrem. It's pretty neat to look down in the tray and see two "100"s indicated.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: If you do install MBM5, set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000. With hyperthreading enabled, I could not get it monitor the motherboard correctly in WinXP mode.
    edited September 2003
    mmonnin
    The link was invalid...went nowhere.

Leonardo
    Where can I find Mobo monitor 5 ?

Ok I set up all of the comps in the house with FAH
    The Dell P3 800mhz has been running its first WU (500) for about 26 hours and is at 98%

The old Micron w/Duron 800mhz has been running its first WU(500) for about 14 hours is only at 25% ( my kids machine..file sharer)

The new P4 3ghz ran its first WU also a (500) in 14 hours. I then installed another client awhile after finishing the first WU The current progress is 45% and 67% At this rate it looks like It will do 2 WU's in about 16 hours

If all WU's are similar and things stay the way they are ...I hope to turn in 4 per day.

I hope this helps.

You guys sure helped me out.
    Humble appreciation....

Scott

Ps. I have an old Compag laptop P2 300mhz Will that run it??
    edited September 2003
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Scott:

I have successfully run F@H on a p2-233 and a p2-266 and they run very slowly, but they still turn in valid WUs. Our philosophy here is that every little bit helps. Expect 4-6 day turnarounds on a p2-300.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I have successfully run F@H on a p2-233 and a p2-266 and they run very slowly, but they still turn in valid WUs.
    :eek2::eek2:
    I never would have figured that! Holy cow!

Scott, Intel hyperthreading is a big yawn with some applications, but is a savage beast with Folding when employed with two clients running.

Thanks so much for joining the Team. Watch out, you will soon have an addiction - but a healthy one.

Leo