Gentoo make.conf (specifically USE)

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
hey guys. I'm presently compiling gentoo, and I was wondering if any of you guys have an example make.conf you used, so I can get an idea of if I left anything out. I customized USE pretty thoroughly, but I may not have changed CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS correctly, and I may have left something out. any suggestions?

Comments

• AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited February 2005
    CXXFLAGS just needs to be like this: CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    CFLAGS will depend on your system for the most part.

Here is my make.conf
    CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium2"
    CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"
    USE="apache2 mysql pam ssl xml xml2 php ftp snmp -gtk -gnome kde -qt"
    If you post your make.conf and your system specs I can try to help you out.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2005
    i'll post it once I get the compile finished, I assume I can back and recompile from there
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Okay, time to bring this thread back from the dead. I'm going to install the 64-bit version of Gentoo. I've been doing a little reading on the subject of the make.conf, and from what I can gather, it's better to put less than more in the USE="" section.

Is it correct to say that Gentoo will provide the right dependencies if you emerge later on? For example, if I emerge KDE but don't specifically state it in my USE, will emerge install the needed libraries automatically?
    edited August 2005
    yeah you can just emerge KDE later, no problem. I ended up emerging XFCE4 and KDE, and I use either depending on my mood.

I think the only stuff I ended up including were

USE="alsa dvd kde qt -gnome -gtk" because I knew I definitely didn't want GNOME
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    USE is there so you can tell things that you want other things SPECIFICALLY installed. i.e. if you install something that has KDE as a dependancy, it will install it if it is in your use flags or not. If it is a dependancy then it will still install it even if it is marked as "-" in your use flags.
    CXXFLAGS just needs to be like this: CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    CFLAGS will depend on your system for the most part.

Here is my make.conf
    Quote:
    CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium2"
    CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"
    USE="apache2 mysql pam ssl xml xml2 php ftp snmp -gtk -gnome kde -qt"

If you post your make.conf and your system specs I can try to help you out.

What in hells name is going on there? You're telling it to use i386 and to mcpu i686 at the same time. If it supports i686 then set your CHOST respectively. Do NOT set both march and mcpu (now named mtune) as march sets mtune anyway (and definately don't set them to something different!). I would highly recommend against j3 on such a weak system too as it would do more harm than good (it increases memory useage exponentially too).

CXXFLAGs also does NOT have to be the same, the reference to CFLAGs is purely there for ease of use so you don't have to repeat yourself.

You can put as many USE flags as you like, infact you have to if you want to get the most out of programs shown by my config below (on my Athlon64 system);
    USE="amd64 acpi a52 emerge gcc X cups usb wmf dvd dvdr cdr exif flac ati radeon alsa jpeg bmp tiff multilib /
    nptl nptlonly pic libcaca opengl oggvorbis ogg vorbis avi wmf mpeg bmp png psp psd pdf mpc ogg mp3 /
    dvdread aac aalib cdparanoia dts dv dvb xvid divx jpeg2k xmms gif truetype imlib -mozilla /
    xine speex java xprint audiofile encode real tga fbcon matroska nas win32codecs xinerama xanim /
    reiserfs gtk2 ieee1394 theora ffmpeg zlib bzip2 gzip rar 7zip lhz lzx zip tar hal spell apm cddb vcd mng dxr3 gnome -oss -kde"

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -s"

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the tip, Enverex. I think your USE is just about what I need. :thumbsup:

Advantages/disadvantages to using Gnome over KDE or vice-versa?

And finally, what about NTFS read/write support?
    edited August 2005
    Gnome vs. KDE is purely preference. Whichever you like the feel of more. If you don't need an entire desktop environment then you can use something like Fluxbox, TWM or Blackbox which are Window Managers that allow you to run stuff as usual, customise and things, just without all the bulk of a full desktop environment (thus less integrated features, but infinitely lighter on the system).

NTFS read support seems to be perfect but write support (as least Kernel wise) is limited to only being able to write to existing files (i.e. you can only write in the mapped space of that file, you can't make new files or expand existing ones). I can't say I've explored anything other than reading though (which I've had zero problems with).
    edited August 2005
    I'm a fan of minimalism, and I don't like lots of dependencies. its really a personal preference
    edited August 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    I'm a fan of minimalism, and I don't like lots of dependencies. its really a personal preference

I don't like dependencies either, but if I want MOD support then I need the libraries for that eh? ;)
    edited August 2005
    definitely