Gran Turismo 4 Pulls Into Stores

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
After multiple delays, Gran Turismo 4 has finally driven into retail stores for the PlayStation 2.
Lauded as "The Real Driving Simulator," the Gran Turismo series has sold more than 38 million copies worldwide since its inception in 1998.

GT4 lets racers feel what it's like to race down such tracks as Laguna Seca or in such locales as Times Square in more than 700 cars from more than 80 car manufacturers. The game will continue the series' trademark license-acquiring and car- and track-unlocking that has become the obsession of many automobile fetishists.

B-spec mode makes its debut, and it lets gamers assume the role of race team manager so they can give directions to their drivers from a broadcast view. In photo mode, gamers can get behind the lens of a camera to take pictures of their cars in exotic locations by controlling the zoom, pitch, and angle of the shutter. Once the picture is taken, it can be shared with friends or even printed up via a USB printer.
Source: GameSpot

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Finally. The only game I would ever buy for a console. FINALLY.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2005
    What, you wouldn't buy GT1, 2, or 3?
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited February 2005
    THANK YOU LORD, WE HAVE WAITED SO LONG!!!!

there goes my life for a good 3 months...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Stupid PS2. Put it on the PC Jerks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Geeky1 wrote:
    What, you wouldn't buy GT1, 2, or 3?

No. I rented them and basically beat them in five days.

Yes. I played them that much.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2005
    my friend has it. going to play it

theres no way you beat GT3 in 5 days, the endurance races alone take longer than that... (im talking amount of time here)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Stupid ghetto Wal-Mart in Española didn't have it yet. I'll have to go to Santa Fe this weekend and find it ...

BTW, I'm told by a more fortunate friend that got his hands on a copy that you get to import your licenses and up to 100k of your money from GT3, so if you're stuck without GT4 for a few days like I am, you might pull out GT3 and pick up any licenses you don't have.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2005
    I just played it for 3 hours. that game is ****ing NUTS

and all I was doing was working for all golds on the B license cert...
    edited February 2005
    I know someone that's had it since the beginning of the year... they preordered it from Sony and got some special deal or something. At any rate, they can't stop talking about it... I went to Fry's and bought it a few hours ago. However, I have no PS2 here at home (I could use my brother's but i'd have no way to save the game...) so I'll have to wait until I get back to school to play it
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Stupid ghetto Wal-Mart in Española didn't have it yet. I'll have to go to Santa Fe this weekend and find it ...

BTW, I'm told by a more fortunate friend that got his hands on a copy that you get to import your licenses and up to 100k of your money from GT3, so if you're stuck without GT4 for a few days like I am, you might pull out GT3 and pick up any licenses you don't have.

And I would be that fortunate friend. (cue Fortunate Son) This game is the ultimate badnasty! I didn't sleep much last night because we started the game importing 100,000 credits from GT3. That lets you buy quite a bit of niceness. Got a built up 86 MR2 SC and a Triumph Spitfire so far. This game is amazing. The graphic quality rivals most Xbox games. The sheer number of cars is staggering and they've picked a good mix of things, both historic and modern. And by historic, I mean Daimler steam buggies and Model T's. There is some seriously kickin stuff in here.

Being able to import liscences is cool, but I think i'll start my game without doing it and build up. The exams have fun breaks in them for gymkhana events and things like "hit all the cones as fast as you can" events called coffee breaks. Now I just gotta find my Celica XX and I'll be a happy boy.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited February 2005
    :bawling:

When we had a Playstation (not PSone, I'm talking the big beast of a box :D), we got Gran Turismo a few days after it came out. I LOVED it. Borrowed GT2 for a week, never wanted to play again. That game sucked so bad compared to 1. Obviously the Playstation has been out of date for some time, and we opted for a Gamecube instead of Playstation 2. THIS game would be one of maybe 2 games I want a PS2 for.

Damnit. Damn you, Sony! Who's says you need to make games for only your system? I mean, c'mon, get with it :rolleyes:

'Cube-itize it, bitches! :mad::(
    edited February 2005
    Got a few screenshots for you guys... a couple of a 300SL @ the starting line, one of a GNX, and two of me attempting (mostly unsuccessfuly... ok, ok, ENTIRELY unsuccessfully... I lost by almost a minute after a 2 lap race :ninja: ) to keep up with a Subaru around a dirt track in a 1971 440 'Cuda* :wtf:

Apparently big block powered muscle cars don't make ideal rally cars... who knew? :confused:;D;D

*Note for Kwitko (& any other MOPAR fans reading this): No actual 1971 'Cudas were harmed in the making of these screenshots ;D;D

One other thing... the blurring in a couple of these screenshots is not present in the game... it's because my stupid Leadtek TV Tuner card apparently doesn't like making screencaps of GT4 :shakehead
    edited February 2005
    The GNX...
    GNX.jpg 22.4K
    edited February 2005
    ...and the 'Cuda
  • edited March 2005
    How do you import the 100k from gt 3 into gt 4??
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It tells you how when you first start the game (when there's no GT4 data on your memory card). You do it on that screen that lists how many A-spec and B-spec points you have, I forgot what it's called.
  • edited March 2005
    Is this game only for ps2 or is it coming to pc also?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    The Gran Turismo games are exclusive to the Playstation so there will be no PC version.
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks for that..