Printer on a wireless network, but not threw a computer?

metomeyametomeya New
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Okay so my family wants to buy a printer that can be used on our wireless network without having it connected to a computer (so the computer doesn't have to be on, they won't leave computers on). Anyways my father was wanting to get a fax/copier/printer combo.

Do printers today have like a wireless antenna that can get on a wireless network? Is there an attachment that will put it on a wireless network? Or can we connect it directly to the wireless router? And, which way is the best way?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    You'll need a wireless print server.
  • edited March 2005
    I'm thinking about getting one as well as my personal printer is dead and the cost to fix it is more than the cost of the printer itself. Unless someone gives me a good reason not to, I'll probably get a Linsksys print server.

How does the connection work exactly? Plug the printer into the print server device? Does the print server device itself need to plug into any computer? Right now, I have to have the other computer on that is directly connected to the printer I wish to use and if a print server will allow me to use it while that computer is off, then that's what I'm looking for.

EDIT: What is the difference between these two print servers?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-031&depa=5
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-042&depa=5
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    flyrice wrote:

The biggest difference between the two is one is a USB only print server, the other has both a USB and Parallel interface, so, depending on if you have a printer with a USB connection (most fairly recent desktop printers do) or parallel may sway your decision which to get
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    Your other option is to upgarde your network router to one that has a printer port built right in. You just plug the printer into the router, then any computer on the network can access it. However, most of those are parallel connection only, so if your printer comes with only a USB port, as many newer printers do, then thsi won't work for you.

And if your router has an open wired port available, you can just go with a wired print server unit, instead of a wireless. If the printer is going to sit near the hub, you just plug in the USBport to the printer, the ethernet jack to the router, a litle configuration, and you are set. Wired print servers are a little cheaper than wireless ones, usually.

Dexter...
  • edited March 2005
    Thanks for the help. So I"m gonna get a USB motorola wireless print server (on sale in CompUSA and I haven't had problems with motorola stuff).

The printer I want to connect to is away from the router, which is why I need a wireless.

Just to reiterate, I just disconnect the printer from the PC that it's currently connected to, connect it to the print server, and configure and party?
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited March 2005
    Party Hardy! :bawling:
  • edited March 2005
    ARGH! OK so I picked up this Motorola Wireless Print Server today. Took me forever to configure it (Wrong security encryption was the problem) at first. So now I can see it on my network and I have a printer hooked up to it.

Problem is, when I go to print, nothing happens. The information is sent (otherwise XP would tell me it failed to print) but nothing is printing.

It's the Motorola WPS870G print server and the website has no knowledge base to help me out.
  • edited March 2005
    ARGH! I decided to forget and tried to get everything back the way it was before and now it's all screwed up! I can't connect my printer locally now (an HP OfficeJet G85), WHICH WAS WORKING LAST NIGHT JUST FINE.

I removed the drivers, deleted all the HP software, tried to reinstall it and nothing's happening.

This happened before and I fixed it by simply removing the drivers and connecting the printer to the correct port (DOT4, not sure why this is but hey it WAS working).

Now my primary printer is down. Good god, how hard can it be to configure a printer with a print server? Apparantly really hard even with step by step directions.