Need help w/my website-ugly text

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Internet & Media
I did some work on my website today, added a page and linked to front page and redid the front page. It looks fine on my two monitors, but when I checked it on the others in the house the type looks awful. All jagged and hard to read. My monitors are at 1280x1024 so I changed one of the other to that, and it still looked nasty.

here are a couple of pages in question.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Thumb_Latch.htm

Could someone take a look at them and see if the type looks smooth or jagged. And possibly any suggestions to get smooth.

As always.. .Thanks

a couple screenies below, first is my monitor, second is what it looks like on the rest.

Scott

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    After looking at the two screenies next to each other. They are not even the same font. How can that be? If by chance the font was not on the other computers would it just "extrapolate" it ?

Scott

Edit

Well I just changed a page to Arial and it looked even worse. So I am not sure it is a resident font issue.

Help
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    It appears one computer has cleartype enabled, and another doesn't.

Additionally, HTML programs font families, that is if one computer doesn't have a font it goes down the list until it finds one the computer <i>does</i> have.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    It appears one computer has cleartype enabled, and another doesn't.

Additionally, HTML programs font families, that is if one computer doesn't have a font it goes down the list until it finds one the computer <i>does</i> have.

so, try putting another font between "News701 BT" and "serif". The second pic you attached is the serif font, and the first is the News font. Try to make it a common one.

I see the serif font on my laptop, becuase I don't have News701 BT installed.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    First, just becuase you have a font... doesn't mean that everyone else has that font. It defaults to whatever default font is on the persons computer.

You need a little something called, "Web safe fonts". Basically, default fonts that come with peoples PC's. Use them, if you have Dreamweaver(or other good WYSIWYG editors) you can choose multiple fonts, one for the main font and two others in case they don't have that font.

Or, use images....
    edited March 2005
    Thrax

Neither one had it enabled.

I did enable it on the bad looking one and it helped a lot. But how many "normal users" have it enabled or even now how to enable it.

Shwaip
    so, try putting another font between "News701 BT" and "serif". The second pic you attached is the serif font, and the first is the News font. Try to make it a common one.

The font used was "News Gothic MT" bold italic. Both screen shots were taken of the same page. from different machines.

I edited my second post to add this

Edit

Well I just changed a page to Arial and it looked even worse. So I am not sure it is a resident font issue.

Help

Websafe fonts ? I am using Front page. Can I use multiple fonts with it.

Did the type looked jagged like the second pic or smooth like the first. (When viewing the link )

Scott
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    FrontPage has to be the worst HTML editor evar. But yeah, good advice listed here. Stick to general serif or sans-serif fonts, like Times New Roman and Arial.

On another note, on your price list pages, the tranparent GIF combined with the background makes for difficult reading. You should use tables here instead of an image.
    edited March 2005
    if you want to specify multiple fonts, edit the < font face="" > part of your code

[php]
    <font face="News701 BT, **insert fonts here**, serif"...>
    [/php]

seperate them with commas.

here's a site about websafe fonts.
    http://www.accordmarketing.com/tid/archive/websafefonts.html
    edited March 2005
    Arial seems to be websafe and it looks fine to me. If I stick with it will I be okay ?

Kwitko
    I am in the process of redoing the whole site. New pages have a grey background. The others have to be redone. Thanks !
    edited March 2005
    I changed both pages listed above to arial.

Does it look better to you guys ?

Scott
    edited March 2005
    I think so :)

How does it look on your other computers?
    edited March 2005
    Better :)

Thanks alot Guys

Boy do I have a bunch of font swaping to do. :bawling:

S-M Rocks !

Scott
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    scott wrote:
    Boy do I have a bunch of font swaping to do. :bawling:

CSS!! Makes life so much easier. Again, another reason why FrontPage si teh sux0rz. There must be a way to add stylesheets in FP, it can't be that craptastic of a program, can it?

By the way, scott, please don't think my bashing of FP has anything to do with your abilities, it's just another in a long line of programs M$ has managed to flush down the toilet.
    edited March 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    By the way, scott, please don't think my bashing of FP has anything to do with your abilities

No offense taken. :) It works well enogh for what I need it to do. As you can tell I am no HTML wizard. Had I know about websafe fonts about 5 years ago when I first put the website up things would have been easier.

I will look into Dreamweaver , but my guess is that the cost will be prohibitive. This is the only site I intend to work on. So I will probably just muddle through with Front Page.

In My best "Leonard McCoy" Voice "Dammit Jim ,I'm a gunsmith not webmaster" :D

Scott