Networking XP Computers, Computer Illiterate here....

edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I excited to begin learning alot computers. I currently have 3 running desktops in the house, as well as two laptops, and I wish I knew a whole lot more about keeping them working!!

Anyhow, my first question is, what does it take to "network" all of these computers? I would like to be able to share files from computer to computer, (i had someone set this up once way back in the days of windows 95) as well as share printers. My setup is as follows. I have cable internet, and a cable modem, as well as a router in the basement of my house. The router splits the signal, one of which goes to a desktop on the main floor, and the other goes up to the office on the second floor. The basement router is not wireless, and not very new, we have had it for quite some time and I have no idea what kind it is. Then, upstairs, I have a signal coming out of one jack in the wall, from there I have another (wireless) router that I just picked up from office depot, it is a linksys router. I have one desktop plugged in via wire, and then, the router sends another signal back into the wall and it comes out on the other side of the office. (it is set up really screwy because the house was wired wrong) on the other side of the office I have a desktop computer and I run a laptop over there frequently also. I would like to eliminate this big mess of wires that is running all over the office, so I picked up the wireless router. I plan to make that one desktop, and both of my laptops work of the wireless, plus this way I can move around the house because it will cover most of it.

With that said, what does it take to get all of these computers on the same network. I tried some stuff using the xp-networking wizard, but it didn’t work. I really have no idea what I am doing, so that didn’t help. As i was trying to set this up i read something about having a host computer, this is where you hopefully come in... I do not want to have one computer always on in order for the other ones to work. Is there a possible way to get around that? Do I need to buy some type of "network router" or is this possible through my linksys or other wired router? I also have printers that I want to be able o access from any computer in the house, i have one on the mainfloor, and two different ones in the office. Also, I read a little about security, and the all I got out of it was there is a possibility for someone to hack into my network. Is that possible? Can they then view information that is on my computer? I don't really know what takes place when you starting grabbing files from other computers on the network so I do not know. I really do not want that to be a problem though, I have alot of info on these computers that contain alot of private info. Do I then need some type of firewall router or something?

Also, I have seen these external hard drives, in advertisements. I guess you can plug all your comps into that somehow and then store everything one that one hard drive? (What do they call these things??) Is that something I may want to consider? I am a bit short on storage space, my computers have varying hard drive sizes, 6 gig, 10 gig, 4 gig (two of which xp hogs, this comp is full to the max!), and the other one has two 15 gigs in it… If every computer had around 30 gig that would be plenty, but they don’t. They are all pretty old and out of date, the newest processor any of them has is a pentium two. Anyone know of a good site to get cheap hard drives?

I need help, as I am quite new to all of this.... Anyone that can shed any light onto my situation, hopefully understand what I just typed, and help me get going in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

-Nicholas

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Are the connections from your router in the basement moveable? For example, could you run a few more lines to your first and second floor easily?
  • edited March 2005
    no, I am sorry to say I cannot, everything is hidden between layers of drywall.
    edited March 2005
    All right, I'll make a diagram here real quick of what you could possibly do.
    edited March 2005
    Here is what I was thinking. If you could have created more lines, that might have made things easier by giving each computer its own line, but since you cannot then this is my solution. The printer could be connected to any one of these computers and when you share it over the network anyone who is connected can print from it.

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

R3.jpg

R4.jpg

R5.jpg
  • edited March 2005
    thank you for the ideas, my next question, is this all necessary in order to get them on a network? Essentially this is how they are wired, minus the switch on the first floor, because I only have on comp there anyways. THey still all end up being on the same common line coming in to the house.... Can't I just go from there somehow? I still need to know how to do this too as far as the computer/software end of it is concerned.... Thanks again, I look forward to more help!
    edited March 2005
    is this all necessary in order to get them on a network?

To be on the same network, computers must be interconnected or connected to a central point that can distribute information to other computers or gather information from other computers. In this case, everything flows back to your router which will do that.
    Essentially this is how they are wired,

Well, the basics should be there, at least a switch on your second floor because that appears so far to be the only way that will allow you to connect multiple computers. Keep in mind if you don't want a switch on your first floor, you will have to go to the second floor to plug in your laptops and be able to have them on the network.
    THey still all end up being on the same common line coming in to the house.... Can't I just go from there somehow?

If I'm understanding you correctly, all the computers do need to be on the same common line to be networked, and you said your cable modem was in your basement and it was also connected to your router. So essentially, you are going from your common line.
  • edited March 2005
    If I'm understanding you correctly, all the computers do need to be on the same common line to be networked, and you said your cable modem was in your basement and it was also connected to your router. So essentially, you are going from your common line.[/QUOTE]

This is a true statement, therefore they are all connected, so what is the next step?? Keep in mind I have a wireless router Upstairs that will cover the whole house, this is how I intend to use the laptops. So what do I need to do and what equipment do I actually need to get them going on a network. If anyone else is looking at this, go to my first post and see what it is I want to do, I said it all in there. Nomad, thanks for the help so far!
    edited March 2005
    Just replace the switch in the diagram on the second floor with your wireless router then and ditch the switch on the first floor and connect your one computer directly to the line on the first floor. You can connect the two computers and then connect wirelessly with your laptops. Here is what it would look like now:

R6.jpg

The router in the basement still carries the main signal and creates the flow of traffic for all three computers. The computer on the first floor is connected directly to the line coming from the router out of the wall. On the second floor, the line coming from the router out of the wall is connected to your wireless router. The two computers on your second floor are connected physically to the wireless router, but the signal the wireless router emits allows you to use your laptops anywhere in your house presumably. However, your laptops must have wireless cards if they are to connect.
  • edited March 2005
    Nomad, that would be the exact setup I have now. NOw can anyone help me with actually networking them? What do I need to do to the computers? How can I tell if my downstairs router is capable of networking functions??
  • edited March 2005
    Can someone please help me here? I do not know what to do, I want to get these computers networked. I experimented with using the wizard and nothing works. WHen I go to "My network places" the only computer/file I see is the hard drive on this one midfloor computer, the same is true for upstairs, it just shows the upstairs computer on it. Is there anyway I can wipe out all previous attempts to set this network up and start all over? How do I do this?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Have you shared any folders on all of the computers? If nothing is shared the computer won't show up on the list.

Pick or make a new folder on your Hard Drive, right-click on it, left-click on "Sharing and Security" and put a check in "Share this folder on the network".
  • b0wzb0wz Tri-Cities Washington, USA
    edited March 2005
    You might want to make sure all your computers are on the same workgroup. Look under computer name, in system properties. Try and move it away from the generic "workgroup", give it an origanal name for security reasons, "sealan" or any name that suits your fancy. This has to be done on all computers on the network for less hassle reasons. Xp pro will see the different workgroups, but xp home is blind half the time, but then so is xp pro ;) the networking wizard is a crock (thanka billy'b bob' GaTes), just enable file sharing on the shared my documents folders on all the pc's, and just use it as a temperary park for the stuff you want to move around the network. One thing about wireless.....make sure you use encryption, if its wide open (un-ecrypted) and you open up shares, anyone on the street, with a wireless laptop can jump right in, and wreck havoc on your files in the share. Evan neighbors with wireless can zip thru your stuff, ecryption won't stop 100% of the sniffers.........but for the most part will knock out 98.5% of them........most are too lazy to mess with ecryptede networks....takes too long to gather packets to crack the key......for the most part, all the shares will show in the network neighbor hood, provided your firewalls are configured (if on). Good luck.........lots of good info here in these forums.....sure you will get lots of good advice and this was gonna be just a quick post......lol :)
  • edited March 2005
    And how Do I access this "system properties?" where you are easily changing the name? I did this earlier through right clicking on my computer, then properties, then I did something in there, but I don't remember, I know they are both on the "mshome" though. (You have no idea how computer retarded I am....)
    edited March 2005
    And how Do I access this "system properties?" where you are easily changing the name?...
    Right-click "My Computer", click on the tab at the top marked "Computer Name", then click "Change". Tick the box for "Workgroup" and put in the name of your choice. Make sure all the other computers are set to the same workgroup name.
  • edited March 2005
    OK, if I go "my network places" from the start menu, the only thing that shows up in the list is "Micron (C) on downstairskids (Dave)" which would apply to this computer, How come my upstairs computer, "upstairsoffice" is not showing up in the list? What about IP addresses, is xp going to automatically config this stuff, or is it something I need to change manually? I had a D-link print hub not to far back and I know I had to mess with the IP address on that upstairs comp, is it possible I messed it up somehow? HOw do I check? The term "Dave" in there is what? The computer name right? "downstairskids" I believe is what I named the computer description. Anyway, I appreciate the help so far!
    edited March 2005
    Have you tried what I suggested in Post #12? :)
  • edited March 2005
    Yes Sir, but it did not work! I dont know whats goin on...
    edited March 2005
    networking with xp is not always straight forward, you might see the workgroup when you click on the network neighborhood, or some of the computers on your network, but in fact, they may very well all be there. I find myself having to go straight to the computer by name with the run command \\gamepc (just a computer name), then boom........hey wow, xp sees the computer on the network....then it shows up in the network neighborhood........go figure......."thanks billy BoB G'....." Do make sure you have open shares on all the pc's you wish to move files back and forth to, if the sharing is not on, then that pc will not show up in the work group as available....I run 2 xp boxes at home, along with a 98/Linux box, and an xp home version laptop......and when it comes to networking, the only one that always see's everything..........like its suppose to, is Fedora Core 3(my linux of choice) :thumbsup: but with the run command, and the network short cut method from the command prompt \\pcname usually works everytime, given the shares are on......
    edited March 2005
    One quick way to test your network (to see if all the pc's are there) is to ping them, as long as you know the names of all the pc's (the computer name) from system properties where you checked the workgroup name (mshome). To ping them from xp, just go to the run/command prompt (hit Control + r) and type cmd, should bring up a black box (dos prompt) then type ping pcname if you get a reply, then its on your network, if it times out, then its not on the network(or the sharing is not setup) or its possible you have a windows firewall turned on(xp sp2 likes to have the windows firewall on by default).
    edited March 2005
    What do you see when you do Start>>Search>>Computers or People>>A Computer on the Network and put in the name of one of your other computers?
  • edited March 2005
    Do all the comps have to be named the same thing? I think I read that somewhere.... I and I named all of them "Dave" Could that possibly be causing a problem?
    edited March 2005
    Do all the comps have to be named the same thing?
    No! They all need unique names. You could name them Dave1, Dave2, etc, or call the Tom, Dick and Harry. I like to use distinctive names, like Bedroom, Office, etc. Just make sure they are all different.
    edited March 2005
    That would be a good start, give them different comptuer names, but leave them all on the same workgroup "myfavLan" or what ever work group you want to call it, but then, yes, give each computer its own name, then see if that works for you.
  • edited March 2005
    When I do what profdlp said too, in post #21, all I get when I type in "Dave" which I named both computers, (I am only trying to just get two hooked up for now) is "downstairskids (Dave)" listed twice, and nothing else! These aren't case sensitive are they? I did try both ways...
  • edited March 2005
    What is the best way to rename them? Right click "my comp">> properties>>change???
    edited March 2005
    yes, the change button on the computer name tab (my comp, properties, comp name, then click the change tab) once you change it, it will tell you to reboot, then its done.
  • edited March 2005
    Okay, I renamed the upstairsoffice one "NICHOLAS" it is still not finding it when I search for computers or people. WHats next??
  • edited March 2005
    Now when I ping from the downstairs computer (Dave) I get a reply from "NICHOLAS" and the ip address is 192.168.123.000. When I ping from upstairs (NICHOLAS) I get a reply from "Dave" and the ip address is 192.168.0.5. THis is not normal is it? Aren't the ip's closer together, like 192.168.123.000 and then the other would be 192.168.123.001 ???
    edited March 2005
    can you ping it? from the run command line (think i told you wrong on the keyboard shortcut) its the window key (flag + r) or go to the start menu, and use the run command, then type in cmd, that will give you the dos box, then try and ping nicholas.... just type ping nicholas
    edited March 2005
    try the run command from pc 'Dave' and type in \\Nicholas see if it connects to that pc and shows you the shared folder on that pc.....