Computer freezes when I load a game

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited March 2005 in Hardware
Anytime I load a game everything freezes up. Mouse does not responds, nor does the keyboard. Also, when it freezes up, I can hear something in my computer... slow down. Sounds like a fan shutting off then on again or my hard drive turnign off then turning back on. It does this in any Steam game and UT2004. Ill see if it happens in all games.
Any ideas? I doubt its overheating cause I only get about 5 seconds into the game.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    The number one answer would probably be that your graphics card is overheating.... or dieing. If this is only recently, check to see if your fans and heatsinks and all that are cleaned from dust and crap.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited March 2005
    I just updated the drivers to catalyst 5.3. That didnt help. I took the window off my case and Im pretty sure now that its my hard drive shutting off when I load a game. I think my power supply may be dieing and it cant handle powering everything at once? Think that could be a posibility? This is a recent problem occuring over the past couple days.

I dont know how these shoud look. These rails seem ok?

Edit://
    Abit NF7-S 2.0
    Mobile athlon 2600 @ 12x209
    2x512 corsair xms
    Saphire 9800 pro 256mb
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited March 2005
    Brought my overclocked memory on my video card back down to stock and lowered my fsb 3 mhz and wow.... it works now. Kinda weird these setting become unstable all-of-a-sudden but w/e. It works.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2005
    the +3.3v seems pretty high at 3.6v-- i think that is barely still "in spec." +12v and +5v look fine, but I would use a multimeter to test the lines on a spare molex to get a more accurate result. also check in the BIOS hardware monitoring section. Cross-reference all three sets of readings to figure out what your psu is actually putting out.

also see if you can detect a sudden drop or surge in voltage when you try to start a game to verify your hypothesis--2 monitors help here.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Kinda weird these setting become unstable all-of-a-sudden but w/e.
    Weird yes, but I've had that happen with overclocked systems previous to the ones I have now.

My first guess was the PSU. Are you sure your video card's fan is at full spin? Is there dust in vid card heatsink preventing heat dissipation?