AMD or Intel, can't decide? No problem for you now.

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I just ran across this link to Hexus.net at [H]ardOCP and if you are a fencesitter between going AMD or Intel, ECS is designing a board for you. :thumbsup: This board is so cool! :D Here's a snippet from the article:
article wrote:
The mainboard itself features an SiS965 Southbridge and SiS656 Northbridge for full Intel P4 1066 FSB support on the Intel LGA775 platform. What makes this board special is that by using a converter card you can slot in your AMD 939 Athlon 64 chip and have that running on the board instead. The converter features a SiS756 chipset to utilise the AMD K8 architecture, and is so new, it has no name, not even a codename at the time of writing.

The mainboard has 4 slots for DDR2 667, a 1066FSB, SATA2, GigaLAN and 1394a Firewire. When in place, the SiS965 Southbridge is shared with the converter card which is based around AMD socket 939. The card has it’s own dedicated SiS756 Northbridge, 2 slots of DDR400, power management circuits and a FSB2000T. These are all needed to run the AMD K8 technology.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Technically impressive, but the concept just strikes me as lame. I can't put a finger on why, yet.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Seems like an enormous waste of engineering effort. This could be a good system for test engineers or something, I guess :-/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Technically impressive, but the concept just strikes me as lame. I can't put a finger on why, yet.
    Here's why it strikes you as lame. You, I, and many others at this forum enjoy research. We enjoy it so much that we know exactly what we want, to include performance parameters and upgrade potential, before we order parts and put together a system. I feel just like you Thrax. That board would be fun to play with for benchmarking, but beyond that, why would I want it? If I am to build an Intel system, I will sweat blood finding the exact components that together will form a high performance Intel system. If an AMD system is to be assembled, the same research will go into it before one penny is spent on parts.

As a concept and novelty though, that dual format motherboard is very interesting.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    I agree with Leonardo. For the serious home hobbyist it would be a novelty at best.

It might be nice to have one as a tech tool for troubleshooting purposes. For instance, in field service work where you didn't want to have to lug a bunch of stuff to the customers home or office.

I suppose a large business with lots of computers might find it somewhat attractive. If you were in the process of changing over from one type CPU to another you could get a little more mileage out of your old parts during the transition.
  • edited March 2005
    Another obvious use for this would be on the test bench, checking to see if a processor is good or not. That way you have just 1 platform that could check out both LGA775 and socket 939 procs. Neat for something unusual to have but I really don't see a practical reason to buy this; I would think that the cost of having that daughterboard would drive the price of the package up too high. Now if you could run them as a dual system, that would be cool. ;)

And I also agree with Leo too. Research and buy what you actually need, not a "one size fits all" solution.
    edited March 2005
    I suppose a large business with lots of computers might find it somewhat attractive. If you were in the process of changing over from one type CPU to another you could get a little more mileage out of your old parts during the transition.
    Nope - just don't see that. When businesses with lots of computers upgrade, they order a bulk load of 10's, hundreds, or thousands of computers all from the same builder (usually Dell, HP, or Gateway). They don't upgrade existing boxes. The admins and corporate officers rule. The admins understand software and networking, but not much about PC hardware. The officers understand contracts...and the advice of the admins. It's all or nothing with these guys when it comes to workstation or PC hardware.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Many companies I've done work for have a stack of broken computers in a closet somewhere. When I'd show up onsite to fix things up I would often cannabalize parts from those computers to get the newly-broken ones going quickly.

A company that routinely turned over all their computers every two or three years would likely have all of them be of one type. Lots of other companies only replace the worst 20% of their machines every year or so. Buying a few of these boards might mean having to invest in fewer spares.

It's not the way I would do it, but then again, I wouldn't have my receptionist using a P-60 with 8MB of ram - something I've encountered far too often... :p
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    A high performance intel system eh Leo?? thats an oxy moron!
    edited March 2005
    A company that routinely turned over all their computers every two or three years would likely have all of them be of one type. Lots of other companies only replace the worst 20% of their machines every year or so. Buying a few of these boards might mean having to invest in fewer spares.
    My knowledge base just expanded. Thanks for the info.
    A high performance intel system eh Leo?? thats an oxy moron!
    Gnome, I've built a whole bunch of AMD systems, and only one Intel system. I can't comment on the Athlon64 as I've not built or used one. Your statement has some merit. But with that said, none of the AMD systems I've built even came close to my P4 Northwood system for multitasking. With HT on, it is a multitasking beast. If I were to build two systems tomorrow from the ground up though, they'd both be AMD.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Here's why it strikes you as lame. You, I, and many others at this forum enjoy research. We enjoy it so much that we know exactly what we want, to include performance parameters and upgrade potential, before we order parts and put together a system. I feel just like you Thrax. That board would be fun to play with for benchmarking, but beyond that, why would I want it? If I am to build an Intel system, I will sweat blood finding the exact components that together will form a high performance Intel system. If an AMD system is to be assembled, the same research will go into it before one penny is spent on parts.

As a concept and novelty though, that dual format motherboard is very interesting.
    No need for me to write a post about it. Leonardo's answer echoes my exact thoughts. That's a quality post.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited March 2005
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I don't like it, it's stupid and I hate it!

I guess I should say why though.... it's not that big of a deal, it's not much different than any other board, but you have to have that stupid slot to switch to AMD. Now if they built it so you could use BOTH at the same time that would be awsome. Let me explain.

I don't mean both as in dual processor, SMP or anything like that, but both as in having two phyisical computers in one system. Kinda like having two computers with a KVM switch, but instead of two separate machines, you have one. Sure with some modding you could do this with you computer, but this is a single motherboard and would be much easier.

It would be great! You could have both systems on at the same time through one good PSU, you may use two HDD's for the OS or two partitions for the OS's on the same HDD. Be playing a game on one processor then switch over to the other like you would with a KVM and all of a sudden be doing some 3D modeling on the other processor. Better yet, you could be rendering on one CPU, while modeling on the other since the rendering process is software only and doesn't include your GPU.

I would be in LOVE if that were how this thing was.... but it ain't so it sucks :thumbsup:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2005
    If you go look at the mobos they make and sell on newegg you will find a bunch of dual CPU boards, cept thats the only 1 that does AMD and Intel, belive it or not Jetway makes the "neatest" board ive ever seen

13-153-015-08.JPG
    13-153-015-06.JPG

after looking at the board for a while i noticed those werent serial connections, lol, and after a few moinutes of scrounding around for what the hell this thing was i came up with this
    Jetway has patented a method of litereally using 1 machine as 2, obviously not for gamming, but for punk kids that have to do home works and stuff. They call it MagicTwin technology that litterally allows you to hook 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, and 2 mice to it and beable to do different things on "both machines". two different processor types aside this is the most interesting board ive found on newegg
  • edited July 2005
    Well, I'm reserecting this old thread from the dead, because I ran across some new info for this board. It seems like ECS is also going to make more daughterboards for this board so that it will also support not only LGA775 and socket 939, but also with new daughterboards it will be able to run socket 479 Pentium M procs and also socket 754 A64 and Turion procs too. Talk about a board that does everything. ;D

Here's the link to a little presentation deal that shows the various setups.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    And it only costs a little more than a motherboard for each individual system!!!! ;)