World's Most Powerful Computer Doubles In Size

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
The world's fastest computer, Blue Gene/L has just doubled in size, according to researchers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California.
Livermore has been running a 32,000 processor system since December, but three weeks ago trucks began delivering the components that allowed Livermore to add another 32,000 processors worth of power to the supercomputer, effectively doubling its processing power.

Though there are still some adjustments being made, the system is now operational, said Robin Goldstone, group leader with the Production Linux Group at Lawrence Livermore. "It's mostly functional. They've actually run calculations on the 32,000 nodes," she said Wednesday. "They're shaking out the last few bad nodes."

Blue Gene/L is made up of approximately 32,000 two-processor nodes, giving it about 64,000 processors in total, Goldstone said.

A 33,000 processor prototype of Blue Gene/L, assembled by IBM last November was ranked the fastest computer on the planet on the Top 500 list of the world's fastest supercomputers. IBM's prototype was benchmarked at 70.72 trillion calculations per second, or teraflops, using the Linpack benchmark, which puts the system through a series of mathematical calculations.
Source: TechWorld

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    That's almost as powerful as your Folding farm, KF. :vimp:
  • edited March 2005
    ;D
    Blue Gene, I kinda dig that name.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I get worked up over 2 processors. Here they have 64,000 :wtf:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Wow, I wonder what kind of frame rates they get in HL2 with that thing.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, who needs a GPU, I'm sure they can do software rendering faster than any GPU out there :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Hrm... curious, once they hack the XBOX2 then all you would need to do is put together about 140 of them running together to have the newest worlds fastest computer ehh? Each supposedly does 1teraflop of processing :D

140 XBOX2's vs. 32,000 nodes :thumbsup:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    and here I was thinking that Apple re-designed the G5.
  • edited April 2005
    Is it really 64,000 p4 processors
  • edited April 2005
    I believe it is opteron processors instead of p4's but I may be mistaken.