Adobe PhotoShop Help Please

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi,
If this isn't the right place for this question, let me know and I can move it where it belongs. I downloaded the trial version of Adobe Photoshop and was in the middle of working on a banner for my site when my trial expired. The original download took about 10 hours and I'm wondering if I download it again, will it work? Or will the "Aladdin Security Client 4.6.2" disable this program from further use? I really don't want to waste my time with the download if this is a one time trial thing. Does anyone know? Thanks so much. I hope this isn't illegal or anything :-/ but the real version costs hundreds of dollars!
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    The trial expires and prevents you from running another trial. If you re-download the trial, it will not work again, I'm sorry to say :(

Are you a student? Do you know anyone who is a student? The student price for photoshop isn't that bad, and it is something that is definitely worth the money, especially if you're heading down a career path in that field, knowing photoshop in and out is a highly marketable skill.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Or you could try Photoshop Elements, which has a lot of PS's functionality at a much lower price.
  • edited March 2005
    ;-) Well I'm glad I didn't start downloading it.
    Yes, I am a student.. I checked out the prices for students and its an improvement. A friend also suggested getting the program on ebay and I found a brand new version 7 for $135 and brand new CS for about $300. I guess I'll start saving :-/. I've vaguely heard of Photoshop Elements so I'll look into it further. Thanks for your advice!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    If you're going to buy Photoshop I'd suggest just buying a student license or something to begin with. Also, don't bother with Photoshop CS, it's really awkward. If you're comfortable with Photoshop 7 but don't really use many of the extra features and frills, I might suggest Photoshop 6 being that they are quite similar except for a few brush sets.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Nomad wrote:
    If you're going to buy Photoshop I'd suggest just buying a student license or something to begin with. Also, don't bother with Photoshop CS, it's really awkward. If you're comfortable with Photoshop 7 but don't really use many of the extra features and frills, I might suggest Photoshop 6 being that they are quite similar except for a few brush sets.

How is it awkward? Other than a few enhancements that make it easier to use and learn such as the nifty filters thing that allows you to go through the filters or even stack them and reorder them however you'd like is an amazing new thing instead of having to contanstantly go through the menu for each filter by name which you may not know for sure what a specific filter does. Of course many other new features are included but that one is by far the most notable for newbies.
    :wtf:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2005
    I agree with RWB, I find CS no more akward than previous versions, and I have been using Photoshop since about version 3, over 10 years ago.

Dexter...
    edited March 2005
    Count me in the RWB camp. CS is awesome, the controls are laid out better than ever, and I've been using since PS3, like Dex.
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Now I have another question.

I'm trying to decide which version to purchase. I'd rather spend as little as possible but I don't want to sacrifice how much I can do on the program. I'm still new at Photoshop but I hope to become much more familiar with it. Are some versions almost the same as others? I've had the experience in the past with other programs that the "new" version is nothing more than a prettier appearance and more space on my computer. I'm going to be buying it used so I can consider all the way down to version 3 (yikes!).

What do you suggest as the best value for it's money? 7? 6? 5? etc.
    edited April 2005
    current versions still resemble photoshop 7, but I'd get the latest version you could afford. If it had to be one of those, I'd take 7. 6 and 5 would look like a completely different program from 8 or 9 (CS or CS2).
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    Try the free download of PS Elements, it has many of the basic features of PS, for under $100:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

See if it does everything you need, you may be surprised. If so, then buy it and save a few hundred bucks. If it not then get the best deal you can on PS7.

Dexter...
  • edited April 2005
    Photoshop is my primary app. I believe that starting with 5.5 on up, you can do most anything you want. The interface gets better as the versions are upgraded CS has a couple more file formats. As for the brushes, styles and gradients, many are offered at the Adobe Studio Exchange, free for download. There are quite a few available on the net. just search them out. PS7, in my humble opinion is going to go down as the benchmark version. The upgrades in CS are fluff and esoteric. CS2 has some nice things but you really need the suite. Adobe Bridge is a great support feature for the entire suite. I would imagine 6 or 7 would be available somewhere at a reasonable price. But then, Adobe is weird about their dead apps. There's a program out there that nobody ever brings up. It's called Deneba Canvas 8. You may want to look at a demo of that. A while back Deneba was giving Canvas 7 away for free. (good marketing) I don't know if they still are.
  • edited April 2005
    Wow. Thank you all for your responses. I ended up getting PhotoShop 7 and I think it was the best value. CS was almost twice as much and I'd used PS7 before so i was confortable with it.

Thanks again.