new motherboard + processor =BSOD

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi
i just got a new mother board and processor;
nforce4-a939 and amd64 athlon
but every time windows xp trys to boot it blue screens (its not the irq = error i had last time i upgraded) it just says that it had to be shut down due to possible damage if i left it on etc and quotes some memory addresses (my ram detects proberly at the post screen) any ideas what might be the culprit? i`m backing my hds up at mo and gonna reinstall

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited March 2005
    From what I understand, Windows doesn't like new motherboards. You probably should reinstall Windows.
  • edited March 2005
    surly it cant be that simple? can it
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    Unfortunatly, major platform upgrades usually require a reformat and reinstallation of windows. Very seldomly do they go without issue, unless the chipset (and especially mass storage controllers) are very similar. I was able to boot from a NF2 install on an NF4 board, but that was because the nvidia unified drivers covered most of the devices. But in all honesty, even if you were somehow able to get windows up and running, it would run much better if you install it fresh from your new hardware.

Excellent choice on the hardware btw! you'll love that A64 :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2005
    thankyou though the a64 may not make much change as i have gone from a geforcefx5600 to a radion 9200 se :( due to a lack of agp slot :( ) well i have about half hour for the backup to finish then i`ll attempt a reinstall.will let you guys know how it goes ....and thankyou for such fast responses
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    thankyou though the a64 may not make much change as i have gone from a geforcefx5600 to a radion 9200 se :( due to a lack of agp slot :( ) well i have about half hour for the backup to finish then i`ll attempt a reinstall.will let you guys know how it goes ....and thankyou for such fast responses

Good luck with the rebuild! PCI-Express prices will be dropping, you can always pick up a good gaming card later on :thumbsup:
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited March 2005
    I went to an Abit NF7-S & Athlon xp mobile 2600, and tried just MOOOVing the HD, but had to reinstall Windows. With some minor tweaking it's happy at 2.5Ghz. But the reinstall was a chore.
  • edited March 2005
    keep geting blue screens but my xp disc is scratched :( since its 01:41 my time i`m gonna try again 2morro :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    ...my xp disc is scratched ...
    You might try copying the XP CD to the hard drive, then installing Windows from there. If you can get the disc copied alright it might work better that way than forcing it to read the disc on the fly during the install.

Good luck. :)
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited March 2005
    You might also try doing a repair install from the CD with only the base hardware connected. There's a guy...I think he's from down south somewhere, says he never does fresh installs anymore. Just repair installs. Works like a charm. I'm sure he'll chime right in if he sees this thread and maybe give more details. But, it keeps all of your data intact and just does the required hardware/driver changes so the system will run. You might give it a shot, since you're intending to reformat and reinstall anyway. You'd only waste about a half hour at the most if it didn't work. :cool:
    edited March 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    ...There's a guy...says he never does fresh installs anymore. Just repair installs...
    Good suggested, Flintstone. :)

I built my new A64 rig right around New Year's. I went from an Abit KT7A-RAID (wasn't RAIDing the HD) with a T-Bird 1200, to an MSI K8N Neo-2 Platinum (Socket 939) with an A64 3500+. That's about as different as you can get.

I was in a hurry to see how it was all going to go together, so I just PQMagic'd my C: Drive to a spare HD I had laying around (just to make sure my data was safe) and did a repair install on the existing C: partition. I figured I'd play around with it for a couple of days, then do the old wipe-and-reload business.

Three months later, I still haven't gotten around to it - mainly because my system has been running rock-solid the entire time. As of now, I don't intend to format and start over until XP 64-Bit is released.

One thing I did do, which isn't always mentioned in repair install guides, is that as soon as the repair install was finished I booted into Safe Mode and removed everything from Device Manager. I then rebooted and let Windows set up my hardware again from scratch.

As always, make sure your data backups are in good shape before trying any of this. :wave:
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited March 2005
    That guy, Prof, is Tex!!
    edited March 2005
    Flintstone wrote:
    ...I think he's from down south somewhere...
    Must be southern Colorado, then. :D

The man is right. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2005
    i`m now getting a blu screen error saying fastfat.sys arghhhhhh
    one thing that occures to me when i fited it up the motherboard is a 24pin power connector my psu is 20 pin the guide said i can use it but it may cause instability or non booting however its a 450wat power suply so i figured it would not cause a problem ? could this be the cause ?

also i have no idea how to copy the cd to the hd and make it bootable like that?

i am NEVER buying anew procesor or motherboard again!!!!
  • edited March 2005
    ok i tried a new power suply a 24pin £75 one that didnt fix the prob so thats gone back and i`m trying new ram akingston kvr400x64c3a/512 and doing a full reformat of my hd fingers crossed

ok major new problem when ever i boot the pc it brings up the windows loader for a second then the monitier goes to standby then after 10 secs the machine resets
    but i can load into safe mode any ideas?

also the amd says its runnin at 1.8 ghz i know thats in safe mode but surly itshould be faster then that????
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2005
    It could be bad ram. Run memtest to make sure its not.
  • edited March 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    It could be bad ram. Run memtest to make sure its not.
    it was bad ram to start with but now the ram is good and as i say i can load safe mode but not normal so i think it is drivers but no idea how to fix

in the device manager other devices is
    !other pci bridge device
    !pci memory controller
    !smbus controller

is nforce 4 boards using nforce platform drivers ?

i have just been able to load it in normal mode i`m not sure how but it is a start however my cpu speed is still only 1.8ghz which is the same as my amd 2500+ not sure why that is any advice on what it should be its a amd64 3000+?
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited March 2005
    1) Could you be more specific on the motherboard and processor

EG: What brand name and model of motherboard? What specific processor (3200+? 3800+?)

2) Could you be more specific on how you've configured the system?

HDD in raid or single and on what header? (SATA? EIDE?)

3) Could you be more specific on what video card you are running?

When upgrading major components like a motherboard I find it best to do a clean install. CLEAR the CMOS of the motherboard...boot...hit the DELETE key and go into BIOS and set time and date and boot order. You may want to load safe defaults and then do some basic check of the bios settings.

AFTER windows is in place you can tweak the BIOS.

Remember that if you are using SATA drives...you'll need the drivers on a diskette. Also...I know that "D" series of the 3200+ processors can be a bit cranky on some motherboards. (ASUS A8V for example) and a BIOS update is required before things become stable.

We're here to help.
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    it was bad ram to start with but now the ram is good and as i say i can load safe mode but not normal so i think it is drivers but no idea how to fix

in the device manager other devices is
    !other pci bridge device
    !pci memory controller
    !smbus controller

is nforce 4 boards using nforce platform drivers ?

YES...NFORCE 4 boards require the nforce drivers from NVIDIA.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Download the UNIFIED Drivers and install those...then download the standalone kit and install those. That standalone kit has newer versions some of the drivers

UNIFIED DRIVER VERSIONS

Audio driver 4.42 (WHQL)
    Audio utilities 4.44
    Ethernet driver 4.42 (WHQL)
    GART driver 4.36 (WHQL)
    Memory controller driver 3.38 (WHQL)
    SMBus driver 4.04 (WHQL)
    Installer 4.46
    IDE NVIDIA driver 4.46 (WHQL)

STANDALONE KIT VERSIONS

Audio driver 4.60 (WHQL)
    Audio utilities 4.51
    Ethernet driver 4.75 (WHQL)
    SMBus driver 4.45 (WHQL)
    Installer 4.60
    IDE NVIDIA driver 5.18 (WHQL
  • edited March 2005
    processor is amd athlon 64 3000+ official
    motherboard is k8 ht2000 nforce4-a939 made by elitegroups
    1 ide dvd writer
    1 weasterndigitial 200gig hd
    3 maxdor hds 80gigs
    no raids etc

i`ve managed to remove the ! from device manager using nforce 5.10 drivers unified but there must be something wrong with the cpu for it to show as 1.81 ghz ? or are the amd 64 3000+ meant to be the same speed as the amd 2500+? wierd question i know but this is the first time i have used one so i dont know

i have done a clean reinstall

oh and btw guys your help has been tremendus i cant thank you enough
    edited March 2005
    First the AMD 64 3000+ should be a 2 GHz part.

There's no new BIOS for that board. You may want to try their version of the NFORCE 4 chipset drivers

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?detailid=493&DetailName=Driver&DetailDesc=NFORCE4-A939(1.0)&MenuID=0&LanID=0

You may also want to try clearing the CMOS and see if that puts things in better shape.
  • edited March 2005
    MediaMan wrote:
    First the AMD 64 3000+ should be a 2 GHz part.

There's no new BIOS for that board. You may want to try their version of the NFORCE 4 chipset drivers

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?detailid=493&DetailName=Driver&DetailDesc=NFORCE4-A939(1.0)&MenuID=0&LanID=0

You may also want to try clearing the CMOS and see if that puts things in better shape.

i dont know how to clear the cmos :( what setting in the bios might of caused this glitch ?
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    i dont know how to clear the cmos :( what setting in the bios might of caused this glitch ?
    Check your manual. There is a jumper on the MB for doing this - follow the instructions carefully! ;)

As far as which setting could potentially be the problem, it could be anything from memory timings to who-know's-what. Clearing the CMOS puts your board back in the state it was when it left the factory, eliminating any BIOS tweaks you may have done as a possibility.

Good Luck! :)
  • edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Check your manual. There is a jumper on the MB for doing this - follow the instructions carefully! ;)

As far as which setting could potentially be the problem, it could be anything from memory timings to who-know's-what. Clearing the CMOS puts your board back in the state it was when it left the factory, eliminating any BIOS tweaks you may have done as a possibility.

Good Luck! :)

reset thebios (easier then i thought)but still getting only 1.81ghz :(
    is there anything i`m missing? something simple ? i am new to setting this stufff up

this is the direct link to the manual (most of which i dont understand)

http://64.124.27.138/ecs/manual/mb/eng/k8/NFORCE4-A939.pdf

to the chap further up who gave me the link to the downloads thank you as thats where i got the link to the manual which i have checked thoughly and matches my paper maual word for word
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    Don't worry about the processor speed, 1.8ghz is the correct speed for a S939 Athlon 64 3000+. It's the S939 A64 3200+ that runs at 2.0ghz
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    reset thebios (easier then i thought)but still getting only 1.81ghz...
    That's the rated speed of your CPU. The "3000+" designation means that it will run as fast (or faster) than comparable 3000MHz (3GHz) CPU's.

For example, my 3500+ runs at 2.21GHz. Benchmarks show that it does indeed whip other CPU's whose rating is based on an actual clock speed of 3.5GHz.

Have your BSOD problems gone away with the installation of the nforce 5.10 unified drivers?

EDIT: Jimborae was too quick for me. :)
  • edited March 2005
    ah man so i have spent 270 pounds to go an extra 10mhz !!!! and downgraded my video card :( please tell me the 64bit was worth that ...lie if you have to !!!

ok on a seriouse note thank you for all the help and if some one can comfirm that it should only be as fast as a amd 2500 that would help
  • edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    That's the rated speed of your CPU. The "3000+" designation means that it will run as fast (or faster) than comparable 3000MHz (3GHz) CPU's.

For example, my 3500+ runs at 2.21GHz. Benchmarks show that it does indeed whip other CPU's whose rating is based on an actual clock speed of 3.5GHz.

Have your BSOD problems gone away with the installation of the nforce 5.10 unified drivers?

EDIT: Jimborae was too quick for me. :)

and u were to quick for me lol

yeah the blue screen of death has gone behind a corner to catch me another day thanks mostly to you guys help ...as i said thank you dont quite cut it !!! i`m not convinced by the 3000+ meaning it will beat other 3000 chips but i can hope and well ur the experts

thank you again
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    ah man so i have spent 270 pounds to go an extra 10mhz !!!! and downgraded my video card :( please tell me the 64bit was worth that ...lie if you have to...
    Absolutely no need to lie - your new CPU is going to kick the old processors butt. :D

The chips have a totally different architecture. Think of them like automobile engines: Take two 2.5 litre engines. One is in mom's car to run to the grocery store, the other is in a hot sports car. The difference comes down to many other factors, like sustained RPM's, transmission, carburetor, etc.

AMD CPU's run at drastically lower clock speeds than comparable Intel CPU's, that doesn't make them worse. If you're still not convinced, take a look at this. :cool:
    edited March 2005
    Trust me, you will not be disappointed! A64 CPUs currently have the gaming crown. That link Prof posted says it all! .. Once you get your rig up and running properly, you can even try your hand in overclocking a bit, those 939 3000+ chips can certainly do more than 1.8GHz! :D

Only the very top end Intel chips will rival your A64 in gaming. $1000 Intel Extreme Edition or $150 AMD 3000+ ... tough decision :D

The only thing holding you back is your graphics card. Any money left in the budget? I'm sure you could pick up a 6600GT card (which would make a phenominal difference) for around $150.
  • edited March 2005
    that link cheered me up no end :)

no money left in the budget for at least amonth or two :( so `ill limp along till then maybe the pci express graphics cards will drop in price by then :)