new motherboard + processor =BSOD

2»

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    But they are much faster as its a 64 bit cpu not a 32 bit. Its sometimes hard to compare a cpu by ghz alone across cpu types. its hard enough comparing just a 32bit cpu from Intel to one from AMD for example but when you start going from a 32bit platform to a 64bit platform and compare on ghz alone you gotta just throw that out the window. Its a differant world.

Tex
  • edited March 2005
    one thing should i be using winxp 64bit to take full advantage or is that a bad idea?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2005
    mrgreaper wrote:
    one thing should i be using winxp 64bit to take full advantage or is that a bad idea?

Bad idea at present (except for the novelty value) as it's still in beta form only and drivers for peripherals can be hard to find. However the Athlon 64 cpu is very fast at running 32bit applications.

If you're into cars at all, think of the Athlon 64 as a Wankel rotary engine (as found in the old Mazda RX7 & new RX8) Very small but hugely powerful and works in a completely different way to normal piston engines.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited March 2005
    You see gains in some things but you need 64bit software to really take extra advantage not just the OS. And there is a HUGE dearth in drivers available at the moment. So consider dual booting with 32bit versus 64bit XP untill you know your OK driver wise. When they get more 64bit games and software you wil see much more advantage.

For example if you mainly surf the web.... use Office... have a normal HP laserjet your good to go on 64bit XP if your NIC and SOUND are supported. It won't FEEL that much faster for this stuff though. Some games that have a 64bit version show a good performance boost though.

if you have a MP3 player that has drivers to use to download or a neat HP all in one scanner/inkjet/printer/copier/fax or other scanners or not really basic hardware you might be screwed. The drivers are getting better but there are HUGE holes in supported hardware even normaly expected stuff. Last time I checked the Intel Pro Gigabit NICS still were not supported for example. Probably because Intel wants the Intaniums to win the 64bit battle. But Intel Pro Gigabit NICS are one of the two or three most basic and used brands.

Verify ALL your hardware will work OK before abandoning 32bit XP.

Tex
  • toybox99615toybox99615 Kodiak, Alaska
    edited April 2005
    from my experiences with XP Pro corporate edition where Microsoft absolutly says it can be moved from one box to another I've had catastrophy happen. In one of our computer labs where twenty boxes were as identical as you could ever build the problem happed consistently. We have the lab set up with quick change drawers for the H/D. Any every now and then away went windows with some BSOD indicating the problem was possibly a recent change in hardware. Even though the H/D had been in the same box, removed while another drive was used, then reinstalled. XP just has a few problems now and then.