non-profit status

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
How hard is it for you guys to apply and get a non-profit org status? If your non-profit we could donate gear to you and get a write-off on tax's.

I don't have 5 year old crap stuff. I have opteron systems I could donate if the tax write off was good enough.

Something you should look into !

Tex

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    "advancement of science" is a legitimate reason for a non-profit to get tax-exempt status. There would be no annual return form to fill out because we don't move $25K a year, there would be no business tax because we don't do anything non-related to SMx, and there would be no employment tax because we don't have employees.

It would require a lot of form-filing to start it though, including making the SMx Committee into a board of directors and such. What I've seen in the way of guides recommend a lawyer to look over the paperwork so you don't end up getting declared for-profit by accident. That's a time and monetary commitment.

What do other team members think? Is this worth it? Would you take advantage of it? :)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    how much of a monetary commitment?
    edited April 2005
    Just the monetary commitment to have a lawyer look at it, unless someone's uncle knows non-profit organization law?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I could ask my ex-bro-in-law. He specializes in Aviation Law, but might be able to tell us what to do/avoid.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I could ask my ex-bro-in-law. He specializes in Aviation Law, but might be able to tell us what to do/avoid.

I'm real sorry things didn't work out between you and him. You'll find the right brother-in-law some day...there are plenty of fish in the sea. :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I've thought about applying for 501(c)3 status for shortmedia LLC since we really don't do anything with the proceeds except support folding and put it back into the site (like with the new server and whatnot)... We would have to figure out what exactly our purpose is, because there's no guarantee that folding will be around forever.

This site and the hardware it runs on are owned by a corporation based in Michigan. The shareholders are shorty, mediaman, and myself. With that structure in place, we do have a path for non-profit status, but man there's a lot of paperwork and waiting to go through.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I think nonprofit would be something to look into. From a brief search... Looks like $500 for the paperwork and filing fee's.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    And I wasnt trying to stir anything up or get you guys to spend your hard earned cash. I had no idea what the costs or problems were.

But donating stuff and getting a tax write off at this point almost works better then selling it to ya cheap as the value I use to write it off can be higher. If your really non profit you might even be able to aproach vendors to donate some gear or sell it to you at a very favorable price.

For example you might not love Dells or Compaqs but if they would donate 10 computers a piece of something like... last years home computer models wouldn't it be nice to have reasonably new dependable computers. Anyone have friends on a newspaper staff? If you could trade vendors VERY positive writeup about your team and the donated computers in a paper or magazine etc... Maybe even trade off some advertising here at S-M in return for a donation and free publcity for the vendor etc..

Make it a win win deal for them. They love good publicity about helpinga fine cause.

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    That would be something nice. We most likely would get more gear and people would get something back from it.

I dont know if any other teams have done this or not but I think you can donate to Stanford and get a tax right off for it. I guess this is kinda the same thing.
    edited April 2005
    ok.
    I just called my cousin in New Orleans. He's specializes in real estate law and teaches it at UNO and basically he said he thinks it might not be much different than filing as a corportation and he will pull the paperwork to find out exactly what it entails and call me back tomorrow.
    So ...how much can we afford?
    edited April 2005
    csimon wrote:
    Tough question. How about we see about how much it would be and go from there? It wouldn't necessarily have to be an immediate thing... we could start a collection and let it grow until we have the money to do it.
    edited April 2005
    It's not a financial problem at all... We have the money for paperwork and all that - it's more a logistical problem. I have to find out what the requirements are for doing this, and what michigan law says qualifies as a 501(c)3.

And of course, most importantly, I need to sit down with shorty and mediaman and talk about this ;)
    edited April 2005
    LOL ...well of course!
    I was just asking because I'm sure he'll let me know his fee. He typically does a good deal but I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow what the fees are. I'll let you guys know and you can mull it over. :thumbsup:
    csimon wrote:

Looking back it seems like a dumb question but forgive me please ...at my school we provide services for free to non-profit organizations all of the time usually only charging for whatever expenses are incurred. ;D
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    And of course, most importantly, I need to sit down with shorty and mediaman and talk about this ;)

I'm sitting down. It would not be in our best interest to classify Short-Media.com as a non-profit organization. We are indeed "not profitable"....yet.

A subsiduary organization could be created for the Folding at Home project. Absolutely meticulous records must be kept of the value of all donated items at time of receipt or and shipment.

This includes records of serial numbers and model numbers.

The governing body of the company...the company itself is responsible for any tax receipts handed out. This could result in financial responsibility if the tax receipt is questioned. We are legally responsible.

The "books" must be kept up every month with a LOT of detailed information and a summary report emailed to the board of directors each and every month. There must be only one person handling the books until such time they are promoted, retire or move on.

The exact legalities I don't know but I do know that everything must be on the up and up from an accountant's perspective...never mind if it is a good idea or not.

BTW...it's a good idea you are attempting here. I suggest you draw up a business plan to further define direction and goals. That'll help define your needs.

:)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Give me 2 more years and my MBA will be wrapping up... I will hopefully know what and how to draw up a business plan. Right now... :scratch: guess that's why I'm taking classes.

I'm all for going non-profit. I'm sure we could find someone to assist Prof in the handling of books and such.
    edited April 2005
    A couple of points, in no particular order:

Many items donated to the project have a small monetary value. Someone in the 20% tax bracket is not likely to be too concerned about taking a write-off on a $10 NIC - they're probably going to spend more than that on the postage to send the part in.

How many of you who have donated parts actually itemize your tax return? How many would start doing so just because you donated a $50 MB? The answer to both questions, I suspect, is very few of you.

(Here is where it gets interesting.)

How many of you would donate more (and better) equipment if a tax deduction were to be a factor? I can name at least one: Tex, who raised this question by starting this thread. I suspect that there would be more than a few others. If you had a MB & CPU that were still useful and that you wanted to sell, taking an in-the-bag tax deduction might be more appealing than playing the Deal Depot/eBay crapshoot game. If you ran a small business and upgraded five computers you might prefer this strategy, as opposed to running a dozen or more online auctions to sell the equipment off piecemeal.

The way I see it, most donations would fit into the "I don't care about a deduction" category, making the bookkeeping question irrelevant. The donations involving the meticulous record-keeping that MediaMan mentioned would likely be sizable enough to make it worth the effort.

Setting up Team 93 and/or the SMx Project (gotta get in a plug :D ) as a separate entity would be a must, else the owners of this site could end up having their whole business strategy beholden to a very small part of the overall operation.

As Parts Manager, I am confident that I could handle the bookeeping aspect, though I certainly wouldn't turn down any help. In my building engineer days I was responsible for inventories in up to five buildings at a time. Discrepancies came out of my annual bonus; a serious problem would have cost me my job. At one point I had an annual budget of well over $100,000 at my disposal for parts, supplies, and replacement equipment. Needless to say, my company wanted to be sure that they were getting what they paid for. Accordingly, I kept a record of every last nickel.

Finally, we would need to be confident that the value of the donations over the long haul would be worth the legal expense of attaining not-for-profit status. It would make no sense to pay a lawyer $500 in order to receive $350 worth of donations. Answering the question of how much money and effort is involved is a good starting point. I'm glad to see that people are already looking into that. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Give me 2 more years and my MBA will be wrapping up... I will hopefully know what and how to draw up a business plan.

A few important points + caffeine + lots of BS = Business plan. Most of the business plans we wrote had little more real content than an executive summary...
    profdlp wrote:
    As Parts Manager, I am confident that I could handle the bookeeping aspect,

I'm confident prof could handle anything we throw at him. :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    A couple of points, in no particular order:

Many items donated to the project have a small monetary value. Someone in the 20% tax bracket is not likely to be too concerned about taking a write-off on a $10 NIC - they're probably going to spend more than that on the postage to send the part in.

How many of you who have donated parts actually itemize your tax return? How many would start doing so just because you donated a $50 MB? The answer to both questions, I suspect, is very few of you.

(Here is where it gets interesting.)

How many of you would donate more (and better) equipment if a tax deduction were to be a factor? I can name at least one: Tex, who raised this question by starting this thread. I suspect that there would be more than a few others. If you had a MB & CPU that were still useful and that you wanted to sell, taking an in-the-bag tax deduction might be more appealing than playing the Deal Depot/eBay crapshoot game. If you ran a small business and upgraded five computers you might prefer this strategy, as opposed to running a dozen or more online auctions to sell the equipment off piecemeal.

The way I see it, most donations would fit into the "I don't care about a deduction" category, making the bookkeeping question irrelevant. The donations involving the meticulous record-keeping that MediaMan mentioned would likely be sizable enough to make it worth the effort.

Setting up Team 93 and/or the SMx Project (gotta get in a plug :D ) as a separate entity would be a must, else the owners of this site could end up having their whole business strategy beholden to a very small part of the overall operation.

As Parts Manager, I am confident that I could handle the bookeeping aspect, though I certainly wouldn't turn down any help. In my building engineer days I was responsible for inventories in up to five buildings at a time. Discrepancies came out of my annual bonus; a serious problem would have cost me my job. At one point I had an annual budget of well over $100,000 at my disposal for parts, supplies, and replacement equipment. Needless to say, my company wanted to be sure that they were getting what they paid for. Accordingly, I kept a record of every last nickel.

Finally, we would need to be confident that the value of the donations over the long haul would be worth the legal expense of attaining not-for-profit status. It would make no sense to pay a lawyer $500 in order to receive $350 worth of donations. Answering the question of how much money and effort is involved is a good starting point. I'm glad to see that people are already looking into that. :)

How valuable it is will be determined on how hard YOU GUYS decide to push it. Its like selling stuff. If you sit and wait for the phone to ring with someone wanting to buy something from you as a small new computer shop you may not last long. YOU GOTTA GET ON THE PHONE or GO IN PERSON. GO SEEK BUISNESS OUT !

Print up some buisness cards. Do mailings to the big buissness's in your area especialy if they are active in donating to other non-profits like the United Way or boy scouts. I wrote the big fund raising package used by the Boy Scouts of America. Sure they get some pledge money from individuals like parents that donate. They shoot for big donations from Corporations and buisness's to fund the local Boy Scout chapters. Every nickle and dime from kids membership fee's all go to the National Office. To support the local Offices (for instance I did a LOT of work in Detroit at the local office there Prime!) they must raise their own moneys. Detroit for example has so many poor families that the local Boy Scouts serve they can't exist trying to get the parents to make donations/pledges. They went and got guys on the board of the Big Auto firms to sit on their board and they run hugemoney raising ventures with their vendors and clients making big donations. They hold all kinds of fund raisers from gold events to popcorn sales etc..

All those huge stacks of scsi racks and tape librarys, 20" monitors etc... I posted I had got for free? That was gear that big corporations were going to PAY to have someone haul off. Thats how most big companies get rid of old gear. THAY PAY to have it hauled off. You need to be pro-active. You need to go after the corporations and buisness's and SEEK OUT this stuff. Make contacts. Get write ups in the local paper about your team and its goals asking for donations. Write TONS of letters! Offerring to haul off old stuff for free and OFFERING the tax write-offs.

Good god my mom dies of cancer and Robins had breast cancer. How many millions of others in this country are in the same situation and might see a small add in a local paper and decide YOU GUYS could make better use of their old computer sitting in the garage they were going to sell at a garage sale. SELL OLD STUFF IN YOUR OWN WEEKEND SALES and buy faster newer stuff.

Have computer fix-it centers in a supermarket parking lot 1'st Saturday of each month where you diagnose whats wrong with someones computer for $20 or guarantee to fix anything spyware/virus wise for $50. LOCAL SHOPS CHARGE $75 AN HOUR TO DO THIS!

Have brochures get out in the community and get known. It will start to snowball. Friends tell friends about you and someones husband or wife will tell someone and your gonna get a call to get a couple big U-Haul trucks and haul some stuff off. Sell what you don't want but you gotta SPEND EVERY PENNY back on more gear or helping manage your team or whatever. You gotta spend every dad-gum penny so you show no profit. That can go to an accountant or a lawyer or NEW PARTS or whatever....

If your going to sit back and be passive it aint worth it. Get a plan to be active and go attack this thing from a level you never dreamed of before. Your talking now about having this team blow up into something unlike any other team before it. You will be the poster boys of how everyone wants to do this ! The pattern for success will be made. And it will of been YOUR PATTERN.

Tex
    edited April 2005
    MediaMan wrote:
    We are legally responsible.
    The non-profit doesn't need to be legally affiliated with SM LLC, does it?
    GHoosdum wrote:
    A few important points + caffeine + lots of BS = Business plan. Most of the business plans we wrote had little more real content than an executive summary...
    It's true. We did them for a Principle of IT class and it was pure, unadulterated BS. I'm convinced the goal is to babble on long enough that it seems like you know what you're doing. A goal and a checklist take about 1/5 the time and are 5x more helpful and clear :o
    edited April 2005
    Go to Barnes and Noble and get a book on writing a buisness plan. Best $20 you will ever spend and most have outlines for differant types of buisness etc..

Tex
    edited April 2005
    I guess I wasn't clear on the course of this discussion: Are you guys talking about turning ShortMedia LLC into a non-profit corporation, or starting a new company based around the folding team?

If the latter, I can think of a few things that need to be carefully thought through. I come from a background of failed business ventures, so believe me when I say I know what can go wrong ;D

1) What happens if Folding@Home shuts down?

2) Who would the corporate officers be?

3) What is your revenue stream? Donations only?

4) What is your statement of purpose?

5) What happens if team 93 and short-media.com split?

6) Who will "own" the team assets and the rights to team IP?

Just some food for thought :)
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    How valuable it is will be determined on how hard YOU GUYS decide to push it...
    Absolutely right on the mark. Like anything else, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Attaining not-for-profit status would only help. The mere fact that we had gone to the effort to do so would add legitimacy to our project in the eyes of potential donors. As you've said, the rest is up to us.
    edited April 2005
    I wouldn't think Short-Media wants to be non profit. You want to make a profit sometime don't you? Maybe not this year but it would be nice wouldnt it?

The F@H team would be best served as a non-profit for sure.

Wouldn't it be best to keep any assets from the F@H team seperate? For both parties?

I am speaking as someone not affiliated with either organization but your purpose and goals seem to be contradictory.

In fact by showing short-media is donating webspace or advertising F@H can be a write off for short-media's corporation.

I never looked but this F@H team does have its own website too anyway right? I am not advocating moving the forum (this is your home) but you need Prime to have a web site for you guys also that looks like a company if you do this among many other things on your list. Have pics of some of the bigger folding farms you operate. Talk about your mission and your plans etc..

You want small adds in your local paper for the team and buisness cards etc.. with your website on it. Heck a 800 number anymore is dirt cheap from someplaces and to have a website of your own and a 800 number chnages your whole appearance to another level.

Get serious and go get em gang!

Tex
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    Let me re-phrase my previous comments.

"I don't frickin know." Is there an international tax accountant/lawyer in the house?

This opens up a proverbial can of worms. It's never easy but really...anything good is never really easy. Shorty, Prime and I are now busily discussing this. I know I have a whole bunch of questions and the larger picture is something that sat on the back burner for a long time...suddenly it's back on the front burner.

I can say that our goal is to do the right thing for Short-Media and for its supporters.
    edited April 2005
    MediaMan wrote:
    ...I can say that our goal is to do the right thing for Short-Media and for its supporters.
    You don't have to say it. Everything which has taken place over the last two years makes that obvious.

If this is doable I'm sure you guys can make it happen. :)
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    You don't have to say it. Everything which has taken place over the last two years makes that obvious.

If this is doable I'm sure you guys can make it happen. :)

I felt I had over stepped my bounds and was waiting for a team member to get their butt back to this thread and say that for me.

tex
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I felt I had over stepped my bounds...
    Not in the least. It was your suggestion that sparked movement on this idea. :)
    edited April 2005
    1) What happens if Folding@Home shuts down?
    The assets would have to be assigned to another cause dedicated to the "advancement of science"
    2) Who would the corporate officers be?
    The SMx commitee seems like the most appropriate answer, given that they make the SMx decisions anyway.
    3) What is your revenue stream? Donations only?
    Yes.
    4) What is your statement of purpose?
    The advancement of science, namely through the promotion of the Folding@Home project. Elaborate at will.
    5) What happens if team 93 and short-media.com split?
    It doesn't matter because I think that'll be about the time that life on Earth ceases :p I don't see a reason or benefit for the two to be legally intertwined.
    6) Who will "own" the team assets and the rights to team IP?
    The non-profit itself would own the assets, wouldn't it? The "board" would decide what to do with the equipment and funds, including how to deal with it if Folding@Home... uh... folded.
    edited April 2005
    But again I am but an outsider here, and whatever happens is a S-M and team decision. I know it will work out the best for all parties due to the principle people involved.

All class acts to the last one. That I know first hand.

Best of luck to you in all your future work and decisions.

Tex
    edited April 2005
    any more news on this front?