non-profit status

2»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    my cousin never called back. I can call if it's necessary.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited August 2005
    Bump

:: Note- if there is new information "tax deduction" and "non-profit" search does not bring it up::

Any change in status? Does this need help? Is it worth it still?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've done quite a few news stories on 501(c)3s and other things, and we have some resources available to us. Michigan has the Michigan Nonprofit Association (http://www.mnaonline.org/) who can help you figure out what needs to be done.

http://www.mnaonline.org/pdf/infrastructure.pdf A checklist for criteria you should meet.

It looks like incorporation is required to make this work. In Oklahoma, all new housing developments must incorporate and form a homeowners assoc. The incorporation process is easy and there are quite a few community groups who help. If Michigan law is the same, every neighborhood should have an association and most likely, someone with a working knowledge of the incorporation process. Sure, Team 93 differs from a neighborhood association, but as far as government paperwork goes, it's just a matter of filling in the blanks... so in a nutshell, look in uncommon places for help. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    :)

I think Buddy Jesus is right- maybe ask a "soccer" mom who has run a club or league. She may even be your wife. If you run a business, I think you can do this for the charitable part of it also. So if you want to make Billion$ with Short Media, you can run fah or sm as a seperate non-profit entity.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling feathers here - but I think this is a worthy idea and the year is running out ...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Oriane wrote:
    ...maybe ask a "soccer" mom who has run a club or league. She may even be your wife...
    Yikes! I may have a wife and don't even know it. :eek:

Gosh, I hope she's good looking... :cool:

/me apologizes for the threadjacking :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Add another quote to the Short-Media Bytes Archive. :p
    edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Yikes! I may have a wife and don't even know it. :eek:

Gosh, I hope she's good looking... :cool:

;D

I knew that I could post something that would finally get your attention ... Dear. :thumbsup:
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    2) Who would the corporate officers be?
    Based on 11 years of Naval Aviation experience, I'll volunteer to protect the non-profit organization at sea and in the air. If Leo will agree to the land part, you've got your Aquatic Master-at-Arms (AMA) and Terrestrial Master-at-Arms (TMA). :thumbsup: ...

sorry, couldn't resist the group thread-jacking....:p
    edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    sorry, couldn't resist the group thread-jacking....:p

OK. Can we please be done then?

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=6368

I think this is the path you are taking and I see no correction or challenge to this. Am I correct?

Again, I apologize for being a PITA about this, but I need to be honest- I don't have a lot of time to contribute or think this over and find the insider information. You have brilliant people here with maybe more time to devote to this effort- I'll track as I can.

You are working for a worthy cause- and I would like to help to this end. Of course, one can contribute directly to Stanford too- and I've made up my mind to contribute.

Thanks.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    As far as individual use goes, that would seem to be between the individual, their tax attorney, and the IRS.

For Team 93 to achieve tax-exempt status, it would take one or more of the owners of the site or a duly appointed (or elected) board of directors to apply for it. Until we either have a proper board of directors or the owner(s) take action there is little else we can do on a groupwide basis.

Sorry if this sounds too mysterious, but I think I'll go revive an old thread in the Folding Staff Forum. :cool:

Of course, I'd better check with my wife first. :vimp:
    edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Sorry if this sounds too mysterious, but I think I'll go revive an old thread in the Folding Staff Forum. :cool:

Of course, I'd better check with my wife first. :vimp:

Thanks Prof- you are a dear. :)

:: And you have my permission :: :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Honestly, the three of us are in no position as well as have no desire to go for non-profit status at this time.

If there were to be a team 93 501(c)3, it would be wholly seperate from ShortMedia LLC and would have nothing, legally, to do with the corporation. I would expect Terry or Lyndon to head this because they did sort of start the team, so I think their input would be valuable at this point.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I would expect Terry or Lyndon to head this because they did sort of start the team, so I think their input would be valuable at this point.
    I like the concept of being a non-profit. To me though, the work of running and maintaining our team as a business, albeit a not-for-profit business, would take the fun out of it. I suppose I would be a real weeny if I were to say: 'If someone else were to run the Team as a non-profit, I'd be a loyal follower.'