New Folder... Maybe

RewiredRewired Member
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
I’ve been running the folding program as a service on my 2nd box for just under a week now. How long before I show up on the statistics page? Might I be doing something wrong?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That all depends. Let's see your config file (client.cfg) and log (FAHlog.txt).
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    client.cfg:

[settings]
    username=andfitchandyou
    team=93
    asknet=no
    bigpackets=yes
    machineid=1

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=yes
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Looks good. What is the speed of the box? Perhaps the WU hasn't been turned in yet.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    Here's my FAHlog.txt. It goes on forever otherwize I would have posted the text but instead I posted it as an attachment. If you want me to post it as text instead let me know. Thanks for your help.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    it hasn't finished the WU it's working on yet, so that's the reason that your name is not showing up on the stat page yet.
  • edited April 2005
    Your work unit is a tinker. They generally have 400 frames and you've completed approximately 250 of them 400. Your frame time is extremely long though. Your computer should be completing them much quicker that it is. Spyware may be to suspect or you have cpu usage throttled back from the 100% that can be dedicated to it. What are the specs on your computer? You are currently working on a work unit that is worth 241 points so it's a rather large work unit.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    The computer's a 1998 IBM Aptiva, 266MHz CPU, 64 megs of ram.
  • edited April 2005
    That explains it then. You have a relatively slow computer by today's standards working on one of the larger work units produced. You may want to go back and disable the big packet work units as your computer will surely choke on them if stanford will even hand them out to you. You may want to check the timeless work units only for that machine as you may have a problem meeting deadlines unless it's a 24/7 folder.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    which client are you using 5.03 or 5.02?
    You can reconfigure the client by running a shortcut to the client and adding -configonly. When prompted to make changes to advanced settings select yes and then when you get to requesting no deadlines select it. By default I think it configures no-pref but you surely should request no deadlined wu's.
    If you need help further just ask but it would help to know your client type or version.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    I'm running FaH V.5.02 (text-only console). How can I go ahead and make those changes? *edit(ok thx csimon, i'm going to try that now)

Also I'd like to dedicate this machine to folding, so I want to strip down all the services and jargon I don't need to optimize XP. Any help would be appreciated.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    Thanks guys. I made the changes. :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    ...I'd like to dedicate this machine to folding, so I want to strip down all the services and jargon I don't need to optimize XP. Any help would be appreciated.
    BlackViper's Guide is an excellent place to start.

I'd recommend disabling things one at a time, making a note of what you did, then testing your Internet & Network connections after every alteration. It stinks to change fifteen settings, have something not work, then end up scratching your head wondering which one was the culprit.

Overall, the guide is very accurate. But there is no one-size-fits-all Windows configuration for every possible hardware setup. :)
    edited April 2005
    On a PII 266, I'd run Linux instead. You can install a purpose-built distribution with absolutely no frills and run just F@H. Even stripped down, Windows XP must bring that machine to its knees.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    Thx Profdlp. I'm working through the guide. As for Linux, point me in the right direction.

Oh, quick question. In the advanced options of FaH it ask something like how much CPU do you need. The default is 100 I think. Can I / should I change this and what to?

Thx again.
    edited April 2005
    Thx Profdlp. I'm working through the guide. As for Linux, point me in the right direction.

Oh, quick question. In the advanced options of FaH it ask something like how much CPU do you need. The default is 100 I think. Can I / should I change this and what to?

Thx again.
    I'd be no help with Linux, but we have many teammates who can help you.

Leave the CPU usage at 100%. Folding will automatically back off should you run another program. With a dedicated Folding machine you have everything to gain by letting Folding run full blast.

The only reason you'd want to use less than 100% is if you had another Distributed Computing program you wanted to run at the same time. On a machine the speed of yours that would be a poor idea.

What MB Brand & Model# are you using? I might be able to come up with something a little better than a 266MHz CPU. If you use it to Fold 100% of the time I'd send it to you at no charge. :)
    edited April 2005
    Here's a Linux distribution that runs off a CD, which means it's easy to install since it runs off a RAM disk instead of your HD. The other benefit is that you won't have to uninstall Windows.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    After cutting off a heap of services, Windows is much more manageable. When I click an icon Windows actually responds. The downside is I don't have time to tie my shoes, scratch my back and take a leak in-between mouse clicks. :D The BlackViper guide helped tremendously.

CPU-Z doesn't want to show make and model:
    edited April 2005
    ...The BlackViper guide helped tremendously.
    You've heard people talk about Windows being somewhat bloated - now you know exactly what they mean. :p
    CPU-Z doesn't want to show make and model:
    I can see that it's a 440LX board. That means you're limited to a 66MHz FSB. I doubt I have anything that would be any improvement, but I'll check anyway.

If it was a 440BX MB we could probably get you to 400MHz by moving one jumper... :mullet: