Help with my ASUS K8V Deluxe

2»

Comments

• cel3ulacel3ula Grand Rapids
    edited April 2005
    im just wondering if i should give in and give up on this mobo and get a new one? id like someones advice plz
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    This is a longshot, but I have an older model Digital (brand) monitor which shuts itself off permanently if it doesn't detect a signal from the video card. Every time I shut down the rig I have to turn the monitor off first. Once the computer starts booting I can turn the monitor on and all is well. If I do it the other way around the monitor says "screw it" and won't start back up.

Try unplugging the monitor from the wall and the computer, plug the cable back into the video card, then plug the power cord in and turn the monitor on.

It wouldn't hurt to double check that the video card is firmly seated in the AGP slot, too.

Good luck. :)
    edited April 2005
    ya just tried that didnt work... :( i think it just needs a bios update...so i think im gonna sell this one and get the MSI mobo cuz i hate dealing with stuff like this... :mad:
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The fact that you have made it into the bios before makes me think it is not a CPU conflict. I could be way wrong though.

When you have it on the bench what all is hooked up to it ?

Are you trying it with just one stick of ram and no hard drive and no cd drive? If not do this

Turn off the switch on your power supply if you do not have a switch on the back then unplug it from the mother board. Remove the cmos battery, Clear cmos with the jumper. Unplug all the IDE cables Hard drive , CD , and floppy.
    Remove and reseat video card. Remove all but one stick of ram.

Now return the cmos jumper to the normal position and replace the cmos battery.
    now plug the power supply back into the board.

At this point all that should be hooked up is the video card and monitor mouse and keyboard. One stick of ram and the power supply.

Try to boot
    If it does report back before going further
    if it does not , power off and move the one stick of ram to a different slot. Try again. and again if needed. When you have tried all ram slots with no luck start over with the other stick of ram.

Report back.

Please try these troubleshooting tips as outlined above. And try to think of it as a fun learning experience. Please do not get large heavy objects and smash things. :D

If we can get you through this it will be a great victory for you !

Let us know

Scott
    edited April 2005
    lol thanks i was about to go get my trusty alluminum bat, and go on a rampage... ;D
    probably wouldnt be a good idea then thanks for stopping me.

ya i tried everything you said with both sticks of ram and even my old ram. i tried booting with just the gfx card and the power supply no luck. and this is probably the most fun ive ever had, learning a lot. like how to control my anger :thumbsup: since i got this board all i have had was trouble. Scott should i get a new board? And if so can you recommend me one? Thanks for your time.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Well if you have tried everything we talked about then that narrows it down to the board, the CPU or the power supply. Do you have a friend with a 939 board you could try your Winchester in ? Or borrow another power supply from ?

I would hate to see you get a new board and still have the same problem.

Scott
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    are you sure you have cleared the CMOS???

like put the cmos pins in reset position with no power connected and left for over 1 minute, and also take the cmos battery out and leave the machine there for like half hour if the first method didn't work.
    edited April 2005
    i tried everything...im gonna get a new mobo so dont worry bout trying to help me out any more...thanks for the help anyways though.

have a great night!