Parts Needed For The SMx Project

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
As many of you are already aware, The SMx Project is back in full swing.

You can get more info here: The SMx Project - Reloaded!

:smokin:

As of right now, we have two rigs on the bench undergoing final testing. Expect another Major Announcement concerning a call for new Hosts very soon!

We also have several rigs in the early stages of being built. Look for more news on those in the near future.

Right now, we anticipate having at least three new SMx computers heading to new homes over the next few weeks. This is just a start.

In order to keep the ball rolling we are going to need some new part donations. The sooner we get them, the sooner we'll have even more new rigs to offer to the team for hosting.

Our most critical needs at the moment are as follows:

Motherboards
Right now, we have an Athlon 1000 and a Duron 1.3GHz in the parts bin.
We need a couple of Socket A boards to put them in.
We also need any MB capable of supporting a 1GHz CPU or greater.

Processors
F@H is almost entirely dependent on raw CPU power. If you have recently upgraded your system and have a CPU just laying around gathering dust, why not consider donating it to a good cause? Combined with other parts donations, your currently idle processor could be Folding for Team 93 on a 24/7 basis.
We need any CPU 1GHz speed or greater.

Memory
Memory is in very short supply. F@H doesn't require anything fancy in the way of overclocking or low-latency. Those old sticks you stashed away in your spare parts bin when you upgraded to something speedier would work just fine. Many new WU's require a large amount of RAM. If you've ever taken a look at Task Manager when you're tied into one of those juicy 600-Pointers you know exactly what I mean.
We need as much memory (PC1600 or faster) as we can get.
PC133 RAM will also be helpful for the Socket A systems mentioned above.

If you have any spare parts you could donate to fill these immediate needs, it would be much appreciated. Arrangements may be made by sending me a Private Message.

Cash donations may be made to Short-Media co-owner primesuspect. Every cent you give goes directly to the SMx Project - there are no "overhead" costs. The money will be used to pay the expense of shipping the completed rigs to their new host, getting replacement parts to an existing host should it become necessary, and buying parts to fill gaps in our current inventory. For instance, if we have a rig all ready to go except for a stick of RAM, we'll buy the part we need so the computer can be sent to a host and begin Folding for Team 93 immediately.

Please help us continue this fine project. Your donation could make a huge difference! :)

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Anyone have anything they can spare? We're looking to put out a lot of rigs really fast so any help would be greatly appreciated :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm not sure of my timeline, but I'm planning on upgrading to 64-bit, and as soon as I do, I'll be donating my AXP 2500+ and NF7-S.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Kwitko - that's awesome! :respect:

Some lucky host is gonna see some serious points for their SMx rig with that baby. :thumbsup:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    C'mon guys! We could have up to 4 new rigs by summer... let's make it a half dozen! :rockon:
    edited April 2005
    We desperately need MB's & CPU's in the 1GHz and up range.

Spring is here - empty out those closets. :D
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    i got a 1ghz athlon with mb and 1gb of ram and also i think 2 hds, 2 psu's laying around and also some video cards i could send in. would this help out?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    It sure would man. Contact prof for info on donating parts.
    edited May 2005
    Just send me a PM. We'd make sure it was put to good use. :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Would you rather have 1 stick of 512 PC2700 or 2 sticks of 256 PC2100?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    I think that might depend on the systems. Like for an AMD we can always lower the FSB to the RAM speed and up the multi if we have the PC2100.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    A few months ago I would have said 2x256 so that we can have ram for 2 smx machines, but now with the large WUs, I think we should start focusing on 512mb of ram. I'll let the others chime in, but that's my vote - 1x512.

Either way, thanks, shwaip! :D
    edited May 2005
    Either would be awesome. :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    would either of the two be awesomer? I can send either of the two options. The only difference is I won't be able to send the 2x256 till later next week, whereas I can send the 512 tomorrow.
    edited May 2005
    It's a tough call, but having two 256MB sticks would give us a little more flexibilty should we have two mid-range systems being built that wouldn't necessarily be able to handle huge memory-intensive WU's anyway. We could always put both sticks in one rig if we needed to. The difference in RAM speed would probably not be significant as far as Folding goes, assuming the board would allow the memory bus to run asynchronously with the CPU.

The only decent (greater than PC133) RAM we have in the parts bin right now is one stick of Crucial 256MB PC2700.