file recovery options?

JJFJJF
edited May 2005 in Hardware
My apologies if this message is a bit lengthy, but I want to be as descriptive as possible upfront, so that we can come to the best resolution in the least amount of time.

I am looking to recover a MS Word (*.doc) file that I have lost after formatting my HD by reinstalling WinXP (continuous loop issue - don't ask!).

I had backed up all the files I thought I needed - except for this one - by removing the hard drive and attaching it as a slave to another computer (the file was originally on my desktop). I am looking for an easy to use software (preferably free) that I can quickly download and hopefully recover this file. From what I have seen (through the internet and in various forum discussions here) it is recommended to save/install these types of software to a drive other than the one from where you wish to recover the deleted/lost file.

My issue is this; I only have one HD and it is NOT partitioned so do not want to save the software to my HD (C: ). I am wondering if it is possible to save the recovery software to a CD or Flash (USB) drive and run it from there? Better yet, does this even make sense? I presume they are considered different drives other than C: (i.e. from where I want to recover the lost file). Another possible option I am throwing around and require your EXPERT advice for, is whether it is posssible to recover the file from a Flash drive (64MB, Kingston - DataTraveler), as it was also on this storage device before I deleted it.

I desperately require the advice and opinions from your members/viewers.

Thanks in advance to all of you who hopefully will reply and help me with this problem!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Give Uneraser a shot:
    Active@ UNERASER is a powerful hard drive recovery software for DOS and Windows (Console) that can recover deleted files and folders on FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS systems. It can even restore files from deleted and reformatted partitions.

With this data recovery software NTFS drives can be recognized and deleted items can be recovered while working from DOS and Windows (Console) environment. It is not necessary to install the utility on your system's hard drive, as it fits on a boot floppy disk, removing the possibility of overwriting data which you want to recover.

I haven't used the program myself, but it's worth a shot. It appears that the demo version only finds files, you have to pay to actually recover them. At the least, it will give you some idea as to whether what you want to do is possible. The program might be a little expensive ($50) for your (possibly) one-time use, depending on how bad you want the file back.

Good luck - let us know if this works. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Try that, if not, your file got overwritten and the recovery options become $ (or pounds sterling or EU) 1,000s an hour jobs (in a data recovery lab). If you can, and uneraser does not work, type it back in if it is a doc file, or tell us more if not a document you have printed out somewhere.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited April 2005
    i've done the same thing, formating and reinstalling windows then i think of something that i didn't save. i used getbackdata for ntsf and it worked like a charm. i took about an hour to rebuild the old hard drive image and then i picked out what i wanted to save. pretty simple. shoot me an e-mail and i'll give you a link. :thumbsup:
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    Thanks to all of you (profdlp, Straight_Man and buddha16)! :thumbsup:

I have tried the program 'UNDELETE' which allows you the option of recovering files via the CDRom (i.e. you don't have to install it on the HD). I did a scan of my HD, no luck - the file was not in the recover file bin. However I then did a scan of my flash device and it found the file there; actually it found a number of versions of the file that I had saved to the device previously. BUT, when I restored or undeleted the files that had been recovered and saved them to a folder on my HD; when I openend them all I got was a continuous array of *'s. So the program allows me to recover the file name, but the contents are crap/jargon.

I have not tried buddha16's program yet however.

Thanks to you all again!
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for your help. I tried a version of 'UNDELETE' that recovered my file from a flash device, but the contents of the file were jargon. :scratch:
    profdlp wrote:
    Give Uneraser a shot:

I haven't used the program myself, but it's worth a shot. It appears that the demo version only finds files, you have to pay to actually recover them. At the least, it will give you some idea as to whether what you want to do is possible. The program might be a little expensive ($50) for your (possibly) one-time use, depending on how bad you want the file back.

Good luck - let us know if this works. :)
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    buddha16, do you need to save the recovery program to the HD?
    edited April 2005
    thats the only way i used it, so i'm not sure. but zipped the program is only about 1.78 mb big so it might run off a cd.
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    I assume that you saved and ran the program from the same drive where the lost file you wanted to recover was? I have been reading that if you install these programs to the same drive it may overight the file or something like that....
    edited April 2005
    yea you take a chance, but i figured that i had formatted the disk then reinstalled windows on it, then 1.8 mb wouldn't be that big of a deal but you never know. you can't find another hd to try installing it on?
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    I could find another drive I suppose and set the drive which the file is on as a slave. Would a network drive work do you think? I am no tech. guru hear, so bear with me if some of my questions are 'off the mark'! ;D
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    if the latter does work (i.e. the network drive) do you think you could send me the link to the getbackdata program you speak of?
    edited April 2005
    yea i guess it could work off a network. you should be able to install the software on another computer then share your hard drive with the network and when you run the program just point it to your hard drive. should work :aol:
    edited April 2005
    yes sir
  • JJFJJF
    edited April 2005
    I will let you know how I make buddha16. Thanks again!
    edited April 2005
    OK GOOD LUCK! :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    JJF wrote:
    ...when I restored or undeleted the files that had been recovered and saved them to a folder on my HD; when I openend them all I got was a continuous array of *'s. So the program allows me to recover the file name, but the contents are crap/jargon...
    That may be just a way to force you to pay for the program. The fact that it found the file at all is encouraging.

You might try opening the file in a different program. For example, if it's a Word file you might try Notepad, Wordpad, or anything else you might have available.

Buddha16's idea is certainly worth a try as well. :)
    edited April 2005
    i took me about an hour to do a 160 gig hard drive serial ata.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Free program. I've used it with much success.
  • edited May 2005
    i have an external hard disk connected to my computer through usb 2.0 My disk is aproximatelly 200gb and recently i lost all my data in it. The drive is hardly recognized by windows xp and when it is, it is as empty unformatted drive system . I suspect that $MFT is corrupted becuase lately i was receiving a message like "delayed write failed" an myu external frame had problems with its power so it was switching on and off very often. The disk is ok, it's not damaged. Can i how somehow repair $MFT so i don't have to recver any files or should i use a recovery program . Any suggestions please?
    :cool::cool::rolleyes: