How Do I disable My Router Firewall

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I jus bought a new router with wireless capabilities. It's a D-Link

It's this one:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10043631&catid=19994&newdeptid=18#

My only problem is that when I use programs like Bottornado .. the speed is incredibly slow .. I'm guessing it's mostly because of the Firewall associated within the router. Could someone please help me with this and tell me how I can disable the firewall within the router

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm guessing that is a Bittorrent client? If so, that's just gonna happen. You have a bunch of different connections it's having to work with and it can bog it down, even if you're only pulling a fraction of your usual bandwidth.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    For BitTorrent, you have to forward TCP ports 6881-6889.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Change your bittorrent client to use ports 65344-65353, and forward those same ports in TCP.

Kwitko's advice would be sound, except ISPs are throttling 6881-6889 like crazy worldwide.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Change your bittorrent client to use ports 65344-65353, and forward those same ports in TCP.

Kwitko's advice would be sound, except ISPs are throttling 6881-6889 like crazy worldwide.

word, my brother
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I haven't seen evidence of this yet on RR, so I'm counting my blessings.
  • edited April 2005
    Err,,, I use Bittornado .. How exactly do I forward the ports n etc.

Another thing is that it's the firewall .. the light always remains Yellow indicating that I'm behind a firewall
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    TheManAnn wrote:
    I jus bought a new router with wireless capabilities. It's a D-Link

It's this one:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10043631&catid=19994&newdeptid=18#

My only problem is that when I use programs like Bottornado .. the speed is incredibly slow .. I'm guessing it's mostly because of the Firewall associated within the router. Could someone please help me with this and tell me how I can disable the firewall within the router
    The router you linked to is a linksys and for all your port fowarding problems.
    http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    I also have a d-link router and my bittorrent DLs were also very slow. I opened up 1-10000 on my firewall for my computer, going to my default gateway in the address bar in Firefox.

In advanced it has a bar on the side has firewall, and then you can set it up from there.

A good idea is to DL the program Active Ports which lets you see what ports are being used at any given time. I used it to see which ports CS:S was using so I could open them up and get a better ping. Dropped it by 40 :). I've found it useful for other things also.

I think I answered your problem. If you have any other issues with your router I'll try to help.

Later,
    Alex
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I also have a d-link router and my bittorrent DLs were also very slow. I opened up 1-10000 on my firewall for my computer, going to my default gateway in the address bar in Firefox.

In advanced it has a bar on the side has firewall, and then you can set it up from there.

A good idea is to DL the program Active Ports which lets you see what ports are being used at any given time. I used it to see which ports CS:S was using so I could open them up and get a better ping. Dropped it by 40 :). I've found it useful for other things also.

I think I answered your problem. If you have any other issues with your router I'll try to help.

Later,
    Alex

that is quiet a big range of ports u have opened up.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I would recommend Azureus over BitTornado. It allows you to use only one port (user chosen) which makes your computer much less vulnerable. During its initial installation and configuration, it even checks to make sure you have the right port open.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    leishi85 wrote:
    that is quiet a big range of ports u have opened up.

Yeah well...I'm pretty lazy. I'm sure I'll go back if I get bored and create seperate allowances for only certain ports, but for right now all my necessary ports are between 1 and 10000 so I just opened them all.

Bring on the viruses! ;D

Later,
    Alex
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited April 2005
    I use bittornado too and have the same issue. There was a stretch of time that I had a green light and VERY high speeds but I am just not sure how to get that to happen again. If you are just going to have all of your ports open anyway, there is no need for a firewall, at least while you are DL'ing. Try taking it out of the signal path and see what happens.