Power Consumption

edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
I started folding again :D but I just got my electric bill today and is not pretty so I want to ask what is the lowest setting of power (stand by and things like that) that folding@home needs to run. What about Kazaa and eMule?

Comments

• CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2003
    not sure what kazaa and emule have to do with it really. When FAH is running, it uses 100% of your CPU availability. If Kazaa wants to write to your hard drive, then it takes the availabilty from FAH therefore no difference. :)

All I do to conserve power is to turn my monitor off. I also turn off any unwanted applications, not to conserve power but to spend more time folding :D

Congrats on returning to folding, another star in our team :wave:

Here in the UK, I'm running two folding rigs and I reckon it adds £2 to £3 per month to my electricity bill. A small amount for a charity donation I think.

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    Turn your monitors off when not in use. That's the big thing. I guarentee your power bill will drop a 1/4th if you use them very sparingly.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Templar's right- my 21" Sony CPD-G520 uses a good 100w+ of power. By way of comparison, according to APC's monitoring software, the server @ Habitat for Humanity (XP1800+, 512MB, A7N8X, GF2MX400, 2 40GB WDBBs in Raid 1, 5 Tt SmartFan2s, a Vantec Aeroflow, CD-ROM & floppy with an old 17" HP CRT that's probably good for 100w by itself) draws something like 200w under full load (F@H)...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Everything has to be on cept for monitor. HDDs need to stay on for writing data files. Electricity shouldnt go up much with a computer that is used somewhat and is now on all the time.
  • edited September 2003
    I actually once checked one of my rigs and my 19" monitor with a clamp-on AC ammeter and it ended up with the computer(single cpu) using around 175 watts while folding and the monitor was drawing around 75-80 watts while on.