Audio file type identification

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
I have another file that has no extention (not windows native) and it has no plain text in a header so that is a dead end too. Does anyone know of any programs that are able to identify file types of audio files? It's going to have to be a rather comprehensive file as this is likely to be a rather exotic format.

Cheers,
Ex

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I use a program called "TrID". It identifies about 1500 file types. It's worth a shot.

http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    I use a program called "TrID". It identifies about 1500 file types. It's worth a shot.

http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

Bah
    [PHP]TrID/32 - File Identifier v1.56 - (C) 2003-04 By M.Pontello

Collecting data from file: introbg
    Definitions found: 1561
    Analyzing...

Unknown![/PHP]

Thanks anyway.

Any other ideas?
    edited April 2005
    Anyone else got any ideas?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Get the lite mega codec pack and open it up in winamp. home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm
    edited April 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Get the lite mega codec pack and open it up in winamp. home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Two problems with that, WinAMP uses its own codecs, not windows ones, and second, I already have it and it doesn't work :P
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    Right Click...properties - advance.

See if there is any clues in there as to the file type, who made it, etc.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Along those lines... can't you just double click it, then select "Use the web to find the best program," or something like that?
    edited April 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Along those lines... can't you just double click it, then select "Use the web to find the best program," or something like that?

Doesn't give me the option
    MediaMan wrote:
    Right Click...properties - advance.

See if there is any clues in there as to the file type, who made it, etc.

Nothing there

I forgot SM lets you attach files, i'll upload it so you can have a look. What is odd is that you can open it as a raw file with an audio program, select 8000hz, 8bit Stereo and you can "sort" of hear it. It's there, but theres so much garbage it isn't anywhere near right, but it is the right tempo, etc.

Arse, the file is 2.7MB, can't upload bigger than 2MB, 1 sec...

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ns737/introbg.rar
    edited June 2005
    Here's another clue. You can open the file as an 8,000kHz, 16bit Mono RAW Wave file and just about hear the music (at the correct speed) in the background, but there is a lot of garbage over the top of it.

Anyone else have any ideas as how to identify this file?

EDIT: Ok, just noticed I've already said that once ;D
    Bumped anyway.
    edited April 2006
    Well, seems the game has been released for free download on the PC now and the music is with the game but this time it is just MP3 files in the games data folder. I'd upload it but the attachment size seems to have been almost crippled now so I can't really.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Hey Enverex can you send the original file over AIM or MSN I might be able to help.... for future reference.