here is a deal for you F@H guys on a opteron setup

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
My sweet wife has been using this 24/7 to work off of for the last few months.

The MB has flaws but for folding as its primary purpose it shouldn't bother ya.

This is a asus k8n s940 with opteron 142 and 512mb reg ecc pc2700 ddr.

None of the pci slots or the onboard sata work. The IDE, onboard sound, LAN, USB, AGP and parallel ports work fine. Also the battery doesnt hold the cmos if you power down. When Robin boots she just hits f2 to load defaults and goes straight into XP windows. She runs weeks without powering down just like a F@H client probably so it doesnt matter to her. This thing is rock solid running 24/7 for her as her main work rig if you can live without the sata and pci.

$110 for cpu, MB and 512mb of reg ecc pc2700 ddr. The Reg ecc ddr is worth 55 to 60 bucks alone. Means your paying 50 bucks for a opteron 142 and the MB is just thrown in for free. A 242 opteron is $169 today at newegg. So your getting MB, CPU and two stickls of 256mb reg ecc pc2700 (dual channel) ddr for about the price of a new cpu at todays prices.

I didnt post this in the deals and sales section as it's only a deal for you F@H guys. I will not sell it for this price for anyone that isnt going to fold this puppy 24/7.

If you can live without the pci slots its a CHEAP way to get into 64bit computing even as your main rig as the LAN, USB , Sound etc all work great.

Tex

I don't get email notifications anymore so don't reply to this thread PM or email me.

I also have a dual xeon MB for sale in the sales section I might discount a little for you guys.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Here's a little incentive: I'll throw in $20 to help replenish the team fund if the team decides to buy Tex's combo.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    If you guys do this with five $20 donations like this I'll knock another ten bucks off so its $100 total plus shipping if five guys donate $20 in seperate donations.

For a friggin $100 its like getting the MB and DDR for free.

tex
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    This would make a fantastic SMx rig. I'll donate $20 to the cause :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    See your already 40 percent there guys. If this happens give me 48 hours to pack it up and ship it as Robin is in there working on it as we speak and doesnt know I am selling her box right out from under her nose.

Oh well... I have a 3000+ socket 754 AMD64 setup sitting here ready to slide into its place anyway for her. I'm a simple repair XP install away from having her right back up.

tex
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    PM sent.
    edited April 2005
    The price was only good for F@H team members who were going to fold this puppy.

DanG has claimed dibs on it soooo... If you guys will verify that he is a solid team member here and he will fold this sucker it is sold to DanG pending a paypal payment.

Cheers

Tex
  • KingFishKingFish
    points to DanG's EOC 24 hour average

yup, he's legit
    edited April 2005
    points to DanG's EOC 24 hour average

yup, he's legit
    edited April 2005
    Then its danG's. Only other thing I asked was that he reread the top post and say "yep, I know the MB has the flaws listed, and thats not a deal killer for me".

If he does that I will get it pulled and cleaned up and ship tomorrow or wednesday if he gets me paid quick.

Tex

If he gets me paid fast I can nail a pair of xeons for the dual xeon MB I have for sale...

(grin)

How do dual xeons fold guys?
    edited April 2005
    I think Geeky has a dual Xeon rig, he should know. The only thing I can say for certain is that two should fold better than one ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Here I thought we had SM27 :-/ Ah well, Dan will keep 'er folding. :)
    edited April 2005
    I don't NEED another dualie rig as I have two dual opterons now so I might sell the whole deal. I mean I guess it could be a backup domain controller for me but... It's stretching to think that has to be a dualie too.

Tex
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'll pledge another $20.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Then its danG's. Only other thing I asked was that he reread the top post and say "yep, I know the MB has the flaws listed, and thats not a deal killer for me".

If he does that I will get it pulled and cleaned up and ship tomorrow or wednesday if he gets me paid quick.

Tex

If he gets me paid fast I can nail a pair of xeons for the dual xeon MB I have for sale...

(grin)

How do dual xeons fold guys?

4 of my 5 rigs folding are xeons, albeit single procs, they run pretty darn good. I dropped my first 1000 points in 2 days with 3 xeons and a single celeron, which by the way is a little folding beast.
    edited April 2005
    Single processor Xeons? Must... resist... getting on my single processor Xeon soapbox...

Can't...

My boss blew who knows how much of the taxpayer's money on a single processor Xeon rig for me to use. I told him that there's no benefit to a single processor Xeon, that it's just a P4 with the ability to run in multiprocessor systems, sold at a huge price premium. Apparently the way the contract is set up, they can only buy from certain vendors, and this was the only acceptable rig they had. Sure, it runs great, but a P4 would run just as well (with better memory bandwidth, I've heard), for a lot less.
    edited April 2005
    Mine isnt single processor xeon. I mean whats the point?

Its dual xeons. I have a dual xeon board for sale in the trading/sale section and I have a pair of xeons I found I am ready to buy for it if I don't sell it fast.

Tex
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Sorry if this is somewhat OT. :)
    Tex wrote:
    ...I don't get email notifications anymore so don't reply to this thread, PM or email me...
    If that's not by choice, here's a workaround:

Change the email addy registered at SM to something else. Log out, wait a little bit, then log back in and change it to the address you prefer.

Lots of people don't use the auto email notification, but for those who do, this should get you back in business. They stopped for me altogether after the server switchover, and I really missed them.

BTW - thanks for the sweet deal for Team 93 members. :D
    edited April 2005
    And I have started getting a few trickle in today. About half the ones from this thread sent me notifications. And PM message notifications all make it fine??

Tex
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Tex wrote:
    And I have started getting a few trickle in today. About half the ones from this thread sent me notifications. And PM message notifications all make it fine??

Tex
    Weirdness... :confused:

I know they've been working on it. Maybe they finally have it straightened out.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Fantastic. Just what most of the people in the top 17 don't need, me with another machine to fold 24/7. :D
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited April 2005
    DanG wrote:
    Fantastic. Just what most of the people in the top 17 don't need, me with another machine to fold 24/7. :D
    DanG I welcome the threat (you are a threat for my spot even though it is a while down the road) - the more the meritorious !
    :fold::respect::fold: Jack