Open Case Warning! A7N8X DELUXE

edited October 2006 in Hardware
:banghead:

Hi All,

I have a very strange problem with my new mobo. Most of the time my PC will only get to the first screen with the "Case Open Warning" in the middle of the screen and refuse to go further.

This happens whether the case is closed or open. It's very random. This morning after getting that message I shut down, took the case cover off and started up the PC. Got the warning and it halted. I shut down, replaced the cover and it booted up to the desk top so fast it was stumbling over itself .:p

More than 50/50 chance of getting that warning if I were to reboot right now. The PC shop can never duplicate this problem with or without the cover on.

Has anyone ever had this problem or even heard of it before?

Comments

• OuttherOutther Alabamee where family trees dont fork
    edited September 2003
    You say it is an A7N8X Deluxe?

I am firmiliar with this warning on comps like Dell or Gateway but an A7N8X? There is a little swith that tells the bios that the case has been opened and will void the warrenty on a Dell or the like. Unless you have installed a case swith and I am not sure how beacuse there are no headers for that, this does not make sence.

However on the other side ther have been a mountain of problems with the A7N8X and the Deluxe. Some users have gone so far as to vow and never buy ASUS again :banghead:. I was asked to install the deluxe and I was crossing my fingers the hole time but mine worked fine "Thank God"

Sorry I cannot help more but this sounds off the wall to me. I am no expert so maby there is a fix to this puzzle.
  • edited September 2003
    Thanks, Outther. I am more than just a little disappointed with this ASUS motherboard. As a matter of fact I'm disappointed with ASUS! I chose this mobo based on a great review and now I'm reading about too many problems with ASUS boards in general and the A7N8X Deluxe in particular.

This is the second board in two two weeks time. The first one could not be drug beyond the Case Open Warning! screen. I spent over an hour on the phone with a tech from ASUS, changing everything around in the case, clearing CMOS settings, changing the Intrusion switch and jumpers and he could not help me. He finally determined the Intrusion switch was bad and said to send the mobo in for replacement.

And here I am still with the same problem except with a little effort, time and patience (which I'm running out of) I can get it to boot up to desk top eventually. Maybe. Who knows when it will be the last time I'm able to do that?

This could take all the fun out of computing.
    :mad:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    <smallfont>Abit NF7-S v2.0</smallfont>
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    I assume your case has a chassis intrusion switch, then? I'd say just disconnect it from the motherboard and forget about it. See if that fixes the problem...
  • edited September 2003
    Actually, Geeky1, no, there isn't any chassic intrusion switch that I know of. The ASUS tech only had me moving jumpers. He kept saying there was no reason for the PC not to boot up with the cover off, however, it would not boot up with or without the cover on the case. This second mobo won't either most of the tiime. The only things plugged into the mobo are the heat sink, CD ROM and the group of small plugs including the on switch, restart, speaker, HDD and a couple of LEDs. And of course the large power supply plug.
    edited September 2003
    Yea- the group of power, reset, speaker, ide led, etc. leads porbably has a lead connected to the chassis intrusion header on the motherboard. Disconnect that and see what it does...
  • edited September 2003
    Ok, here is what I have connected: Speaker, Power LED, Reset SW, ATX Power Switch (turns the PC on). The HHD plug is set a little aside from that group. That's about it. There are pins left over labeled SMI Lead but I don't have anything to plug into that.

However, I would think if it were something that concrete or precise it would prevent the PC from booting up ALL the time. Also, why don't the guys at the shop ever get this same problem? They shut down and restart the PC and never does it fail to boot up to the desk top. I have tried plugging it in other parts of my home. Sometimes it will boot right up other times it won't.

I'm sorry to be such a pain, believe me I would rather not if I could. I found some sites on this board with the mention of Open Case Warning! but they are written in German. Does anyone here read German?

<A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Open+case+warning&btnG=Google+Search"ONCLICK="***">A couple here</a>
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Perhaps, RTFM*?

<font size=-7>*This acronym in no way arrives with rude/inconsiderate connotations. It is used for it applies directly to this particular situation, but any modification of the acronym will result in a lack of understanding</font>

But that said, I hate to be a negative nancy, but <i>Ass</i>us builds too many anti-enthusiast safeguards into their boards. BIOS that talk to you, intrusion switches, overclocking prevention, etcetera.

They're helpful for n00bs, but for people trying to get the most of their system, they're nothing more than a nuisance. Hell, Assus itself is a nuisance.
    edited September 2003
    Thrax, don't make me come over there and smack some sense into you. ;D;D

I like ASUS boards. They don't "tweak" as well as ABIT/Epox do, but they're generally stable as a rock and extremely reliable...

Anyhow, Rozy, I have the same board (well I did until I borked it while OCing and RMAed it... haven't recieved the replacement yet)... As thrax said, have you tried reading the manual? Basic, I know, but ya know, sometimes it's the little things that bring everything else crashing down... I'm d/ling the manual now, since I don't have the board or my manual with me, and I'll see what I can find in there...
  • edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    Perhaps, RTFM*?

<font size=-7>*This acronym in no way arrives with rude/inconsiderate connotations. It is used for it applies directly to this particular situation, but any modification of the acronym will result in a lack of understanding</font>

But that said, I hate to be a negative nancy, but <i>Ass</i>us builds too many anti-enthusiast safeguards into their boards. BIOS that talk to you, intrusion switches, overclocking prevention, etcetera.

They're helpful for n00bs, but for people trying to get the most of their system, they're nothing more than a nuisance. Hell, Assus itself is a nuisance.

Yes, Thrax, I RTFM. It is almost worn out. :( Let's see if I can make this plain: my case doesn't have an intrustion switch. The mobo does have a lead for a plug that would lead to an intursion switch but there is nothing plugged into it. It is covered with a jumper. Whatever is triggering my problem has nothing to do with an actual switch or wire as there is none.

One abnormal board I can understand but two in a row? Unless they sent the same board back to me because they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

:mad:
  • edited September 2003
    Geeky1 said

... I'm d/ling the manual now, since I don't have the board or my manual with me, and I'll see what I can find in there... [/B]

Thanks, Geeky 1, however, unless you are really good at reading between the lines, I don't think the manual will tell you much about this problem. I don't understand why the ASUS tech couldn't come up with a solution.
  • OuttherOutther Alabamee where family trees dont fork
    edited September 2003
    It does have a header for the intrusion switch? WOW

I missed that or just ignored it on my last ASUS build.

The reason you get crappy tech support is beacuse to make the part cheap to buy they used that magical cost cutting sword and now have zero money for qualified techs. You get some guy or gal with zero clue reading from a "does it do this Yes/No, go to this page" There is a name for that Yes/No thing and I cant remember it :banghead:

But anywhey, I try and lead people away from Asus if I catch them early enough. However I got 2 bad Soyo bards in a row and number 3 rocks. There is that sword again :crazy:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Rozy - it's possible that they sent the exact board back to you.

Don't ever underestimate the power of deceptive RMA practices
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Intrusion Detection, turn off in BIOS Setup. Intel and high end MSI and many other boards call it that in BIOS. Look for Intrusion and Detection together, and anything that is labelled intrusion can be disabled for a standalone you work on or open and mod a lot.

Alternatively, if you still still get this change CMOS cell, I have to change CMOS within 6 omnths on one quarter the boards I bring in and for $2.00 or less each I now just stick a new CMOS cell in a board (DL2032, Duracells, Home Depot, Energizers of similar number at Walmart (number part will be identical, front can be CR but DiLithium calls are replacing pertly Chromium batteries in computers these days as they are HYPER HEAT stable and less toxic if they blow with heat(very hard to do) or leak (easier).
    edited September 2003
    I'd say it's time to RMA it again. Include a letter with a description of the problem with the motherboard...

For what it's worth, I've dealt with ASUS's support (including RMAs) on multiple occasions and I've always been very happy with it...
    edited September 2003
    Yes, if CMOS cell does not fix. Those b oards, if CMOS cell dies or is too low to keep CMOS table refreshed, typically default every boot an default intrusion detection ON.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Ageek,

As usual you are totally blind or you just refuse to read what he has typed above. Get a grip and stop posting bs.

Rozy,

have you tried to flash to a new or the same bios?
    Can you try with just the Power-On led attached to the mobo. I have a feelign that the switch for the intrusion is opened even if it has a jumper that is supposed to close it. Try with another jumper if you have one. A jumper from a harddrive should do just fine. You can create your own jumper too if you want with a bit of a wire. As long as it shorts out the 2 pins.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Flash teh bios! if u are using the latest maybe try an older version. If that doesnt work Chuck it and buy a Abit NF7-S 2.0
  • edited September 2003
    just some off the wall suggestions.

Unplug the psu from the wall and leave the cmos in the clear position for 30 seconds to clear capacitance. See if this allows you to post and boot into windows. If not then jiggle the ram :D

interested to see if removing the intrusion jumper helps. Also try removing the cmos jumper before a boot.

The biggest clue is the fact that you have no trouble while at the shop. How many times did you reboot while there? If you could sit there and put it under load for 20 minutes then reboot no problems - and do this a couple times - then whatever is loose/grounded or just whatever gets fixed in the move from your home to the shop.
  • edited September 2003
    Hi again Everyone,

Sorry about dropping the ball but I have a very slow back up that can do only so much and I have also been busy with many other things

The shop, by hook or crook, was able to cure the 'Open Case Warning' problem, they really couldn't say how, they just tweaked the CMOS settings some more, no mention of intrusion or detection there. I even took my keyboard and mouse to the shop to see if either were the culprit. They checked out ok but they gave me a new power cord and keyboard.

Took the PC home, plugged in my brand new keyboard, brand new power cord, I even changed the cord on the monitor. Turned the PC on, and was glad to see it go pass the first page and no sign of the Open Case Warning. Went on through two more screens of info about all kinds of stuff including a list of Controllers and at the bottom of screen three it said NVIDIA Boot Agent and then "Media test failed, check cable" next line "Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent" next line "Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk and press enter"!

Inserting system disk and pressing enter accomplished nothing. The shop had left a Norton disk in the CDROM so I took that back and reported on the problem. One of the guys came home with me to see the setup. He turned on the PC and Windows loaded! He restarted the PC and it was back to that "Media test failed" screen. Over and over. Also realized that the keyboard wasn't initializing. Apparently it won't initialize until Windows loads because it did work for the guy when he used it to restart the PC after Windows had loaded Now since Windows won't load the keyboard is useless.

The shop man said to take out the CMOS battery over night, re place it and leave the jumper in the 'short' position, turn it on for about 30 seconds, cut it off, reposition the jumper to normal and restart the PC. I did that and was back to square one with the mobo splash screen (which they had turned off earlier) and then the "open case warning" screen and then it came to a screeching halt.

It occurred to me that the media failure may be caused by the new keyboard so I hooked up my old one and it works. Although it accomplishes nothing at this point. When the Open Case Warning showed up I pressed Del and went to the next screen but only got the blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.

If I had MY keyboard hookup when I got the 'insert system disk and hit enter' message I might could have accomplished something at that time.

Basically I'm back to square one and have already plowed enough money into this mess that I could have purchased a very nice ready built system.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    Holy crap. I bet you = :banghead: :) Personally I'd take a shotgun to it and buy a new mobo. I don't think it's gonna be worth all that trouble.

Just an inquery: Have you tried running the PC out of the case?
  • edited September 2003
    Yes, Templar, did try to run the board outside the case and the one time I tried it posted.

EVERYBODY:

I called NewEgg about my problem and they were extremely nice and eager to help. Although it has been more than 30 days since I had ordered the mobo from them, due to my unusual problem, they were willing to work with me, told me pick out the mobo I want, order it, call back with the order number and they would credit my account.

I have had some experience with a Gigabyte board and several people have recommended that brand, including one of the guys at the PC shop, so that's what I decided to go with. Had only so many choices because of course it had to be one that NewEgg carries.

I chose the GA-7N400Pro2. This one:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm

So everybody jump in and tell me what you think. Has anyone had experience with this board?

Thank you all for your responses and help. You have all been very nice and have helped to make this whole experience more bearable. Should I have any problems with the new board this is the first place I'm coming for help.

:)
  • edited September 2003
    UPDATE:

The GA-7N400Pro2 is up and running great. Ran into one little problem, first try (tries) the board failed to power up.

Apparently I went through the instructions a little too fast the first time. When I came to the part about plugging in the ATX power supply cable I just skimmed over it, after all haven't I had enough experience with that by now?!

What I missed was the instructions for the ATX 12V power supply cable! Yep, this board has a connector for the ATX 12v cable.

Often wondered what that plug was used for. :scratch:

Rozy Lee:wave:
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited September 2003
    Sorry for arriving late to the party, a little too late it would seem, but I'm glad you've got it all sorted.

I just put that exact ASUS board in a PC I just built for my mother, I had some problems with it at first, i.e the CPU couldn't detect properly, but after a BIOS update it ran great. I was very impressed by it, I've always considered ASUS to be the 2nd best mobo manufacturer you can buy, though I understand how people like ourselves find the spoon feeding features a little frustrating.

I had a whole list of things ready for you to try, to see if we could fix the problem for you, but there isn't much point now. Surficed to say though, I never had that case open problem, but I did find the motherboard did need some TLC before it worked properly. I also swear there was a BIOS setting to disable the open case sensor. Oh well, glad you got it sorted.

That Gigabyte board was also one of the ones I looked at for the afore mentioned parents computer, nice board. It's still nForce 2, and I think you'll find it a little less "How are you today?" and a bit more, "Booting up for ya, no questions asked".;)

Cheers
  • edited January 2004
    Hey, guys,
    For the A7N8X case warning problem, I had the same problem and I just had to put a jumper over pins 3-4 (as said in the manual) upon the Chassis open alarm pins, beside the chassis pins.

I hope it works and you don't change your board, but I think it's too late.

Le Ptit Verrat
    edited January 2004
    Mackanz wrote:
    Ageek,

As usual you are totally blind or you just refuse to read what he has typed above. Get a grip and stop posting bs..

MacKanz-- ever had a user reset CMOS so many times that battery gets drained??? Evre had a board arrive with a DOA CMOS cell or badly drained one???? I have had lots of both.... CMOS table then cannot be maintained, or gets written badly. Results are so random from this that the CMOS contents cannot be trusted.

John-- who, as usual, when the obvious does not work, looks for the less obvious.
  • edited October 2006
    Oh the irony,
    Just an FYI for those who are still figuring this issue out. Reading the posts led me to beleive that the MOBO is rather finicky in its preferences. In my case, it was a simple matter of changing the IDE cable from grey to black, simple error sure, but it sure cost a crap load of time figuring this out.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Thank you for that highly technical tip, 4trihn. :wtf:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    4trihn wrote:
    Oh the irony,
    Just an FYI for those who are still figuring this issue out. Reading the posts led me to beleive that the MOBO is rather finicky in its preferences. In my case, it was a simple matter of changing the IDE cable from grey to black, simple error sure, but it sure cost a crap load of time figuring this out.
    4trihn, IDE cable color is irrelevant. I suspect your original cable may have been bad, and you replaced it with a good one. The color was mere coincidence. :)

If you need any more help with this issue, feel free to start a new thread about it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Yep, a new thread. That's the ticket. :rockon:
This discussion has been closed.