Jim Joins The Gang!

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
Ok, in a fit pique at not getting SM19, I got up off my arse and finished building my crunching machine tonight out of the odds & sods i've gathered recently.

She's an Abit BP6 with dual celeron 500's overclocked to 600mh, running a wopping 75mhz fsb. (so I wont be catching anyone up, anytime soon). Doesn't matter though as every little bit helps.

Silly question but does it matter from a team point of view if they are working on proteins or genomes. Currently they are set to no preference.

Right i'm off to hijack shorty's thread on setting up folding on dual board cos i'm sure its not set up right yet.

Regards

Jim

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    all I can offer is this:

genomes fold faster but are worth less points in my experience...

and:

If the PC won't be used for anything but folding, the easiest way to set it up to run two clients is as follows:

Download a copy of the F@H console client. Install it to a directory, but DO NOT run it. Repeat the process and install another instance to a different directory. DO NOT run it, either. Create a shortcut to each one (on the desktop, in the folder, wherever) that points to Win_FAH or whatever the name of the thingy with the folding cog icon next to it is, and at the end of the "target" box, after the quotes, type a space (spacebar, not type the words...) and -local, another space (again the spacebar) and -advmethods, another space (again the spacebar) and -forceasm. Do that for both instances.

Double-click one of the shortcuts, and configure it so it has your user name, and machine ID 1. Exit that instance, run the other shortcut and configure it the same way, except give it machine ID 2. Exit the second instance, and open both of them again using the shortcuts. You're done. It's only installing them as a service that's hard...
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2003
    Hi Geeky,

Do I keep the username the same for each console when setting up and will this stop them froom working on the same instance? Obivously the team number stays the same.

Regards

Jim
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Same username, different machine id. Make sure you use the -local flag otherwise you'll have trouble.
    edited September 2003
    Cheers :)
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    A big welcome to the Team Jim! :thumbsup::fold:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2003
    Glad to have you Folding with us, Jimborae!

:thumbsup::fold:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Welcome! :cool:
    edited September 2003
    Ahh, thanks guys.

Added two more machines for the cause, on a tempory basis. Check the sig for specs & hopefully my mate will be folding shortly once he gets off his lazy ass and installs the client. :)

Regards

Jim
    edited September 2003
    So when does my name show up on Stanford page. Is when I complete my first unit cos one machine is showing 88% completed of 2500 WU unit (whatever that means :) ).

Regards

Jim
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Jimbo :eek:

:respect::respect::respect: We are honoured me old mucka :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2003
    Jimborae said
    So when does my name show up on Stanford page. Is when I complete my first unit cos one machine is showing 88% completed of 2500 WU unit (whatever that means :) ).
    That is correct - you'll be on the stats board as soon as the first WU is turned in. You'll be getting notice of your first Notable Milestone (1,000 points) before you know it.
    :wave::fold:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    :rockon:

glad ur part of an excellent cause my friend :thumbsup:

fc