Cable modem on a different outlet?

edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Hello all, I was thinking about moving my cable modem downstairs. I was wondering if the cable modem will work on any cable outlet in my house, or is it specifically configured to one? Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    There should be a splitter on the cable line. Just take that off and put it on the cable line downstairs.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    I've had cable modem service in four different houses from three different companies over the years and have done this several times with no problems. The only thing to be careful of is if you have a splitter after the wall outlet to allow you to have a TV in the same room. If that's the case, make sure you use the same splitter in the new location.

The reason for this is that with multiple outlets throughout your house they will jack up the signal from the street, then use a limiting splitter inside the house (sometimes located inside the wall outlet itself). If you look at them you might see markings like "-5db" or "-3db" or somesuch. What this does is reduce the signal at the outlets nearest the main input to the house, and allow a stronger signal at the end of the run.

It certainly won't hurt anything to try it. :)

EDIT: Kwitko was too fast for me. More succint, too. :mullet:
  • HeartSmasherEliteHeartSmasherElite Microsoft OS Tech Support
    edited May 2005
    If all else fails then call your cable company and ask them to to put in a nother cable line.
    Why because if you have to much going throught the same cable line then it will start to overheat (got this info from the cable service provider/internet)and lowers your bandwith.

If you get a new/seperate one it should run cooler/faster.

But ask them if that will be the same case for you.

If not try to cut down on the number of cable outputs you attach your cable line to.

:thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    Thank you. I will put this information to good use.