Boot Problem with KX7

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
My KX7 is acting up... it won't boot into windows. It gets to the startup screen, the screen goes blank, and it restarts. I've formatted the hard drive, changed CPUs (1700 B --> 2200 A --> 2500) and I've run Memtest86, which turned up nothing. The system is in an Antec SLK-3700AMB with 2 85cfm 120mm fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust) a slot fan, and an slk-800/tt smartfan2 on the cpu. It's got an ATi R128 32mb AGP2x card, a GXTP, and a dlink NIC. The drives are 2 80gb/8mb ATA-133 Maxtors, a 24/10/40 CD-RW, and a Floppy drive...

WHY is it doing this? :scratch:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'll assume WinXP.. Have you tried any other versions of Windows or any other OS? Normally, I would say memory, but that's weird. Maybe bad video card?
  • PeckersPeckers Sweden
    edited June 2003
    Maybe the PSU is broken, check the voltage
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I had this problem a few times with my KX7.

Easy fix.

Reseat HDD cables, put ram in slots 1 & 2, try again.

Fixed it every time for me.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Title edited to give a better explanation of problem.

Oh, and I agree with Thrax. Friend of mine had exactly the same problem. Did exactly the same thing as Thrax to fix it, worked a treat every time.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Hmm... that's funny... I'll go ahead and move the ram back (I spaced it out into slots 2 & 4 to help keep it cool...) and reseat the cables... thanks!
    edited June 2003
    Haven't done that yet- I'll update when I do, but in response to the other posts I didn't see...

Prime, it's XP Pro, and I haven't tried anything else... it may be the video card, but I doubt it... if thrax's suggestion doesn't work tho, I'll try it.

Peckers, the voltages are fine. It's a brand new 350w Antec...

jdii... if it were a software problem, it would have been fixed by a format and a reinstall, which has been done several times, and it has the problem even on the initial boot after installing. it also freezes randomly in windows...
    edited June 2003
    Oooh... head hurts... excellent post John; I just shouldn't read things that long this late at night when I'm really tired... I'm going to re-read your post tomorrow morning when I'm thinking clearly so I make sure I understand it... however, I did yank the R128 and throw the 8500 back in, and now it seems to be fine... I'm typing on it right now in fact... so maybe prime was right after all... I switched after trying thrax's suggestion, which didn't seem to help this time...

anyhow, I'll update you guys tomorrow when I can make out what I'm typing again :D Thanks for the help.
    edited June 2003
    jdii... well, I re-read your post... what you said makes a lot of sense... but I think this time it was just the video card, 'cause it's been stable for ~6hrs now with the R8500... which implies it's the video card... o well- now I have an excuse to get a R9800 :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I just put XPpro on my old Asus A7V133-Raid (not using the raid). Couldn't even get it to boot from the CD for the install on a zeroed-out HD until I set all the memory timings & overclocks down to Grannies Horse-And-Buggy settings.

Win2000 was the same way on that board. Ironically, once it's up and running I can jack things back up to the high-performance level.

Try crippling all the performance settings and see if that will let you get going.

Prof
    (The Ol' Cat-Skinner):p
    edited June 2003
    tried that too... the only thing that helped (and I'm not sure it actually did, but it seemed like it did) was jacking the voltage on the cpu waaaay up...
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited June 2003
    What I didn't see in my quick scan of this thread is the video card.

ATI video cards, especially the AIW series, are cranky on the KX7 series of mobos. Even with a 450 watt PSU they don't like to boot.

Mine would never boot unless I cycled the power button at least twice.

Try putting back the CPU voltage to normal and, if possible, bump up the video card voltage.
    edited June 2003
    MediaMan... the card that causes problems is a Rage 128GL 32mb AGP card... the Radeon 8500 64mb is fine in it... I'll try bumping the voltage on the card if I can...

jdii... the thing is that it works fine on the newer (and faster) 8500, but it doesn't like the Rage 128...