Inevitability

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
We will be passed by Ars here soon. I mean soon.

I made a thread at their forums saying Congrats if anyone wants to join me.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=3710957385&r=3710957385#3710957385

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Yep... now we need to claw our way back, kicking and screaming.

Well, at least we don't have any other threats now!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    GHoosdum said

Yup...from 4 threats to 0 (with only one passing us) is good ;)!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    From four threats to 0 with us passing only one (future conquest) would have been better. :D
    shwaip said
    GHoosdum said

Yup...from 4 threats to 0 (with only one passing us) is good ;)!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Posted :) Hope a couple of them stop by.
  • edited September 2003
    Folks I thought we had you a couple updates ago but I was wrong. So I wouldn't give up the ship just yet. This may only be the begining of a seesaw battle between Ars and you.

Fold on.
    DG
    edited September 2003
    Registered and posted.

Made me appreciate the layout of S-M all the more. (Not knocking Ars, just that I *LOVE* the way S-M is laid out. Great work guys at making this such a great place!!!!!) Now let's get busy :fold::fold::fold::fold::fold: In a short while we're going to fall into 9th place and scratch and claw our way back to 8th!

/me prepares for war!
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2003
    Ok dont laugh for my stoopid questions but I'm new to this folding malarky. What would it require to claw our way back, I mean how much computing power. Cos I've got my dual celly 500 folding 24/7 with two consoles going at it so both cpus are at 100% but the poor thing is very old and celly's are crap by todays standards

I have my two other rigs that could fold temporarily for a short while, specs are in the sig, is that enough to make a difference or are we ttalking many ghz's to make a difference?

Regards

Jim
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Jim,

Any extra folding power, tempory or otherwise, is always appriciated :thumbsup: It all adds up in the long run ;)
  • pointwoodpointwood
    waves as he is riding beside the shorties ;)

This is a close race - keep up the good work! :) Aarhus, Denmark
    edited September 2003
    waves as he is riding beside the shorties ;)

This is a close race - keep up the good work! :)
    edited September 2003
    According to folding.extremeoverclocking.com they are besting us by 1,650 points a day. (It fluctuates, but let's just take that as the average) I have over 7GHz of Athlon power and over 2GHz of p4 power (all total it's about 9.4GHz). I generate about 2,200 points a week, which comes out to about 314 points a day. So, if we had about 5-6 more folders EXACTLY like me, we could hold them off. So, in other words: it's gonna take quite a few GHz to keep them from overtaking us and even more GHz to gain our position once we lose it.
    Jimborae said
    Ok dont laugh for my stoopid questions but I'm new to this folding malarky. What would it require to claw our way back, I mean how much computing power. Cos I've got my dual celly 500 folding 24/7 with two consoles going at it so both cpus are at 100% but the poor thing is very old and celly's are crap by todays standards

I have my two other rigs that could fold temporarily for a short while, specs are in the sig, is that enough to make a difference or are we ttalking many ghz's to make a difference?

Regards

Jim

Welcome, pointwood! Feel free to stop by any time!
    pointwood said
    /me waves as he is riding beside the shorties ;)

This is a close race - keep up the good work! :)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2003
    Ok then I just added another 3.7ghz to folding for Team SM, so thats 4.7ghz i got folding.

Regards

Jim
    edited September 2003
    :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    and scratch and claw our way back to 8th!

Ah, but that's when it's the most fun! I don't like being overtaken, but I sure love the chase!:mad::cool2::p
  • edited September 2003
    Somehow I think you all are toying with us. We just cannot seem to pass you. This is going to be fun. Guess I better find a way to bring another system online.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Wow this is getting good.

I've got the Opteron doing nothing but folding all weekend. I turned on a Celeron 700 yesterday too.. Now, my quandary: I've got a complete system ready to go, based on a KT7A-RAID, whereupon I destroyed the 1.4Tbird that was in there. What's the fastest proc I can put in there? It's got an SLK-800 in there so heat's not gonna be a problem. I need to get a proc for this sucker ASAP.

I suppose I could O/C my 2000+ to help out a bit, it's on an NF7-S v2.0 but.... but... here goes...

i've never overclocked before

THERE! IT'S OUT. OMG I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER

pointwood/dragongoddess: Thanks for stopping by. Keep up the good fight!
    edited September 2003
    nub ;D
  • edited September 2003
    PRIMESUSPECT:
    check the sticker on the back of the board or on the underside of usually the bottom pci slot for the version. 1.?

hopefully you can stick a palomino xp1600 in it and run 1.7~1.8 if the chip is unlocked but it depends. Whatever version it is - it doesn't hurt to try a palomino in the board. The SLK800 is overkill for anything you could run in the KT7A especially since it's not volt modded so if you can make better use of the sink you should otherwise don't break that old board with it :D

I think the KT7A and then the NF7-S are perfect for you to learn some OCing.

:fold:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    ok0okok i need a quick answer
    I have a 2500+ barton and a 1700+ tbred juhib or whetever they are called. I cant up my fsb for some stoopid reason ( ram ) so which should i use for teh folding?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    btw the 1700+ is at 1833
    edited September 2003
    the barton
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Stopped in to show my :respect:. :fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Wow, even calm, cool, and collected Leonardo got in his truck, drove to work on his day off, and checked the dial-up computers (wimpy Dell Omniplex P4 1.4s) to ensure they had sent any completed work units.

I wuv this team! :bawling:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Sev:

It's the original (old) revision. The reason I had the SLK800 on there was because that old T-Bird ran HOT.
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited September 2003
    Nooooo! :bawling:

They finally got us... ;[
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2003
    Keep on fighting. Dont back down.:)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    We need at least an extra 4000 points a day in order to stay ahead of them.