AMD 64 3000+ Problem

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Hi there!

I am not sure if this is actually a problem, but anyways...

Recently, I purchased an AMD 64 3000+ with a Gigabyte K8NF-9 F2.
Here are what I suspect to be problems.

1) When I start up my comp, it states on the screen that my CPU clock speed is 200. Is it supposed to be this low??

2) When I open up Control Panel>System, I am told that my processor speed is 1.81 Ghz. Again, is it supposed to be this low??

Please help, thanks a million!!!

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Those are corect. I bet your new system doesn't "feel" that slow! :cool:
  • edited May 2005
    Hmm....serious??

Cos i read somewhere that amd 3000+ is equivalent to an intel 2.8 ghz...thats why i felt that 1.81 ghz seemed a little too low...

so does this mean that my system is running slower than a 2.4ghz intel?
    edited May 2005
    Hmm....serious??

Cos i read somewhere that amd 3000+ is equivalent to an intel 2.8 ghz...thats why i felt that 1.81 ghz seemed a little too low...

so does this mean that my system is running slower than a 2.4ghz intel?
    Yes, it is rated that way as it is the equivilen of a P4 3.0 as it will do the same amount of work in the same amout of time. They are both designed on two completely different architectures and as such one @ a given GHz cannot be compared to the other of the same GHz. So essentially your A64 XP3000+ (1.8) will be the eqivilent if not better than a P4 3.0. :D

No, it is not running slower than an Intel 2.4! :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    kewl!!
    thank you man...i'm glad that this has been clarified...lol ;)
    edited May 2005
    NP :thumbsup:

teh old goat
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    ~amos, that's why AMD went to the '+' ratings a few years ago. Many people who did not (and still don't) keep up with computer technology thought that the MHz/GHz rating of a CPU was the only measurement necessary to compare the chips. They were wrong then, and still wrong. It's just like a purchasing a car or truck - one must consider horsepower and torque, not just the revolutions per minute a given engine is capable of. Were RPM the only factor, tiny electric motors would power every motor vehicle.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    my AMD64 3000+ has been tweeked and vid card has as well and im running with a p4/ht 3.2 in Sandra SiSoftware 2005. the are VERY good for the money.!! :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Good! Glad to see you're enjoying the performance!