I really suck at computers

edited May 2005 in Hardware
Well i will save the details for later...just the basic facts

a few months ago i purchased a amd 64 (socket 754) and a asus k8n motherboard...

all is well...one day just stops running...

video card burns out...board is no good....

put back old amd 1500....and old motherboard...

buy new video card and new power supply

run this for a few months...no problems

all is fine....i save money for new board...

this time msi k8n neo.....

runs for 2 mins..

insatlling new motherboard drivers...monitor goes blank...now the computer powers up no matter what...in other words as soon as the power switch on the back of the power supply is turned on .....(power supply is a new antec 400 watt) but no video

i am thinking no dead short...I think i should stay away from computers and just buy a dell.....any ideas?

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Sounds to me like your power or reset switches might be shorted or jammed in....have you tried unplugging first one then the other and powering up the PSU?

If not, try it and see what happens.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited May 2005
    I know it sounds odd, but I had that happen with an MSI K7D. The culprit turned out to be bad ram!! If you can, swap your ram with some known good stuff and see if it goes back to normal.

Good Luck,
    Flint
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Power supply unit problem? Couldn't massive voltage feeds cause those problems? Have you run Motherboard Monitor or a similar program to monitor your PSU?
  • edited May 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply madmat, I pulled all the power switch's from the board, as soon as i put the power on it would run, even if i disconected everything else as soon as i put the power on it would start running the power supply fan. (thus i think the power supply would want to run).

I swapped out the motherboard and procceser and put back my old soltec board and 1500 amd and everything works as it should...

could it be this 64 amd proccesser is shot?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    Its possible the CPU is dead .. although its suprising that it would just die like that. I saw a dead duron-1 GHz last week that did a very similar thing. Had a power surge through the PSU that took out the m/b, psu and cpu :/. Wasn't my computer tho :P.

have you tried removing the m/b etc from the case and running them simply on a cardboard (or other non-static non conductive) surface?

Are all your cards mounted properly? I know there's a way to start the computer simply by shorting pins in the AGP slot (I've done it by accident several times :/)
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    carpetman: If you get desperate I will test the cpu or cpu/mb for you. You can priority mail the cpu to me for like 4 bucks and its here in 2-3 days. I have three socket 754 MB's sitting here right now to test it in.

a pair of msi neo fisr's and a msi matx socket 754 board.

I have like 5 huge spare PSU's around....

Let me know if you want help. I mean it's free.... If I can't get it sorted out no one can.

All I ask is that you pay for the shipping both ways. You choose the carrier.

tex

In the mean time. Pull it out of the case and sit the MB on the box it came in. Make SURE the HSF is really mounted good. The HSF's should always be moun ted outside the case so you can SEE that its level and not cocked. Use only a video card FIRMLY SEATED. No other cards or HD's or floppys!

And make sure the PSU connector is pushed in all the way. I can't tell ya how many times I have worked on stuff that the PSU connector wasnt locked in all the way... (long sigh....)

Use a screwdriver to touch the power pins to start it up. I have also seen way to many home built computers where the connectors for the switches and lights were hooked up really weird. Just use a screwdriver and short the power pins to start it.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    Wow free,only shipping..Youre a good man Tex..!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    You can count on Tex to deliver what he promises. And you won't find a better deal around. :)
  • edited May 2005
    Hey Tex, thanks for the kind offer...i might have to take you up on it. For now i'm just gonna chill out and save some money for a new amd 64.
    edited May 2005
    Carpetman: I have a MSI neo fisr and 3200+ s754 I am about to sell. I have a GB of geil with it also if you want to just kiss all your probs goodbye. It's what I am posting this on at the moment and it runs 24/7/365. It's been my personal box for the last 6 months. It's never turned off. Never had a problem. 24/7/365.

I can also include a PSU if you want.

If your sick of troubleshooting and jacking with stuff I can sell you a complete rig tested and ready to go for less then new prices.

Tex
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    hey tex how much you planning on selling that stuff for?
    edited May 2005
    Maxim: Well I won't take a bath on the sale but its less then new pricing. Probably like 20 percent off the newegg new price for the hardware or in that range. Its also got a huge $45 all copper Zalman cooler already mounted. The big round one with 92mm fan thats very quiet.

The advantage for someone that doesnt build these all the time is its all assembled, tested, and working perfectly. Bios updated etc..

Bolt the PSU and MB into your case and your done. It solves a bunch of problems and troubleshooting in 5 minutes. Crap I can even include a big ide drive thats all setup and ALL my normal apps installed with all the tweaking tools and registry tweaks etc all done if you wanted.

A semi-complete, semi-customized "Tex" rig all ready to bolt into your own case. Price depends on how much or how little you want to buy really. But lets just say I can sell it with a harddrive loaded to the gills and the OS, drivers, updates and all apps on it for less then bare new pricing for the parts. No probs with drivers or setting up an OS etc.. If you can screw the harddrive and MB into your case without breaking anything all you have to do is plug in the cd/dvd and internet cable and rock.

This isnt some OC rig. I build QUIET, dependable computers that are stable and run 24/7/365. I shoot for no problems and and rock solid stable.

Tex

PS... Carpetman.. If your sitting there dead in the water just use regular mail and send me the cpu to test. If your in no hurry just regular mail in a little box is maybe a buck or so. Its worth the price so you don't buy another cpu when it wasnt the cpu that was bad. When stuff isnt running it's sometimes hard to tell if its MB or CPU problems. I can tell ya for sure for a couple bucks shipping. The advantage (long sigh...) Of having a ton of spare state of the art parts laying around.