problem with outlook

collcoll Ireland
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi all,
maybe some one can help me I`am useing microsoft outlook with XP pro, If some one e-mails me a internet link in there e-mail, it will not open??? i have to cut and past it to open, any help out there?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    LookOut its OutLook

Convert to thunderbird
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Now enjoy stablity more features and less holes in your security.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    The day you can hook up thunderbird to an exchange server is the day that your advice might be valid, but until then, please just try to address the users actual problem instead of telling them to convert to something else. There are many reasons why people use what they use, and your advice wasn't helpful at all.

Coll:

First try resetting your web defaults. Click start and click "set program access and defaults". Expand the "custom" setting, and regardless of what you want your default browser to be (we can change it back later), set it to Internet Explorer and make sure "enable access to this program" is checked.

Reboot and try it again. If you want a different browser to be your default (like firefox or opera) you can reset it back to that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    So glad our new members are wondrously helpful. :rolleyes:
    edited May 2005
    The day you can hook up thunderbird to an exchange server is the day that your advice might be valid, but until then, please just try to address the users actual problem instead of telling them to convert to something else. There are many reasons why people use what they use, and your advice wasn't helpful at all.

Coll:

First try resetting your web defaults. Click start and click "set program access and defaults". Expand the "custom" setting, and regardless of what you want your default browser to be (we can change it back later), set it to Internet Explorer and make sure "enable access to this program" is checked.

Reboot and try it again. If you want a different browser to be your default (like firefox or opera) you can reset it back to that.

It will be able to do that soon enough taunt.gif
    Thrax wrote:
    So glad our new members are wondrously helpful. :rolleyes:
    Yes it was before it got deleted :(
  • edited May 2005
    What the hell?

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with my post, it was neither flaming anyone nor saying anything untruthful.

This is crap, I'm so glad that these forums are so friendly. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's just too much truth for ya?
    edited May 2005
    Flibby wrote:
    What the hell?

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with my post, it was neither flaming anyone nor saying anything untruthful.

This is crap, I'm so glad that these forums are so friendly. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's just too much truth for ya?

Flib from what ive observed this forum has alot of microsoft lusers. They take offence because theres a free alternative thats usealy better then what they use.

Edit: Also the odd one fears it will void his pc's warranty by using non-M$ stuff
  • edited May 2005
    So that basically complys with number 3. :D ("Person is unwilling to accept that Outlook (or in this case, any MS product) sucks.") :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    We just don't take too kindly to ignorance around here, that's all.. We have a user who is trying to get help, and your response was not helpful, it was insulting. It has nothing to do with being a microsoft or any other kind of "fanboy", as our expert user base works in the field for the most part, using enterprise level technology, very often which is microsoft based, and we tend to recommend the best tools for the job and also we understand that every tool has a use.

I use a mac with thunderbird, but am I telling this user to ditch what he's using and switch to mac and thunderbird?

Either help or don't post, it's a simple policy.
    edited May 2005
    I tell everyone to switch to a FREE better alternative. If there having problems with something and I can't help them fix it.Then if they have problems with the free alternative I help them fix those problems and everyone ends up happy :).
  • edited May 2005
    Sorry, I came here thinking this was a friendly community, guess not.
    edited May 2005
    Flibby wrote:
    Sorry, I came here thinking this was a friendly community, guess not.
    There friendly just not enlightened.
    edited May 2005
    Don't give us that enlightenment bull****.

When you go to get your car fixed, does the repair shop recommend a new car?
    When you go to fix a watch, does the repair shop recommend a new watch?

No, they do not. Why? Because it's unnecessary, impolite, and a <b>complete ****ing waste of time to do it.</b> In a similar vein, it is unnecessary, impolite, and a complete ****ing waste of time to suggest someone change mail programs when a few simple suggestions could probably fix their current problem.

When and if the situation changes to such a degree that the poster inquires about alternatives, we will provide that information and go through every necessary step to make the transition smooth and flawless. You'll find the core members of this website use Firefox about 85% of the time, and Thunderbird around 50% of the time. Many of those users don't use thunderbird because it <b>can't be used with an exchange server which is common in the enterprise computing industry.</b>

And you, sir...

We pride ourselves on having constructive posts. A top five reasons list packed to the brim with retarded hyperbole doesn't constitute constructivity. If, in your wee and misguided heart, you happen to find ability to <i>be</i> constructive, you'll find open arms. Playing the part of a clueless martyr is, at best, annoying.

So, my rude and "Enlightened" friends, let's fix the problem, not reinvent the wheel instead. Yeah?
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Don't give us that enlightenment bull****.

When you go to get your car fixed, does the repair shop recommend a new car?
    When you go to fix a watch, does the repair shop recommend a new watch?

No, they do not. Why? Because it's unnecessary, impolite, and a <b>complete ****ing waste of time to do it.</b> In a similar vein, it is unnecessary, impolite, and a complete ****ing waste of time to suggest someone change mail programs when a few simple suggestions could probably fix their current problem.

If the car and watch were free and easyer to use and they didn't have to abandon there old one they probably would.Why is it impolite to inform them of an alternative and suggest it.Really is it a waste of time to try to get them off a troublesome program and onto a better one.
    Thrax wrote:
    When and if the situation changes to such an agree that the poster inquires about alternatives, we will provide that information and go through every necessary step to make the transition smooth and flawless.
    Ok fine I will wait and hope they find out that there is alternatives out there and hope they ask about them rather then find out themselves
    Thrax wrote:
    You'll find the core members of this website use Firefox about 85% of the time, and Thunderbird around 50% of the time. Many of those users don't use thunderbird because it <b>can't be used with an exchange server which is common in the enterprise computing industry.</b>
    Yes those users that can't use it and should use microsoft outlook Im not denying that
    Thrax wrote:
    So, my rude and "Enlightened" friends, let's fix the problem, not reinvent the wheel instead. Yeah?
    In some cases reinventing the wheel is nessicary in the case of outlook the wheel is a square and we want one thats circular.
    edited May 2005
    It's impolite to suggest an alternative because you've done nothing to fix the problem at hand. If you were, for example, to suggest the alternative <i>after</i> you had offered viable solutions to the actual issue, we wouldn't be at this point.

So, now that you've chosen "wait and hope they find out that there is alternatives out there," I think we're done here.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox & Flibby, perhaps a better reply would have been, "Well, you can fix the problem by doing so and so. In the future, I would suggest trying Thunderbird instead of Outlook. It's free, and because of its underlying code, not suceptible to the critical security flaws that Outlook is. It's not hard to convert your PST file over to Thunderbird's format."

There, much more civilized and helpful. I'm all for reinventing the wheel, but not at the expense of throwing away the rest of the car.
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    It's impolite to suggest an alternative because you've done nothing to fix the problem at hand. If you were, for example, to suggest the alternative <i>after</i> you had offered viable solutions to the actual issue, we wouldn't be at this point.

Ok I will wait untill someone has posted a fix to the problem at land or untill a long period of time has past without a solution.
    Thrax wrote:
    So, now that you've chosen "wait and hope they find out that there is alternatives out there," I think we're done here.

Pft I will never stop informing them about the alternatives if there m$ie users. But I will wait for outlook users from now on then.
    Kwitko wrote:
    GrayFox & Flibby, perhaps a better reply would have been, "Well, you can fix the problem by doing so and so. In the future, I would suggest trying Thunderbird instead of Outlook. It's free, and because of its underlying code, not suceptible to the critical security flaws that Outlook is. It's not hard to convert your PST file over to Thunderbird's format."

There, much more civilized and helpful. I'm all for reinventing the wheel, but not at the expense of throwing away the rest of the car.

Gah I wasn't thinking but thanks for pointing that out :)
    And your old car would still be there if you got another better one for free
    taunt.gif
  • collcoll Ireland
    edited May 2005
    primesuspect,

Thanks for that it know working fine :thumbsup:
    It`s all so easy when you know how. I did not think that my little problem would cause such a responce.

once agane thanks :thumbsup::)
  • collcoll Ireland
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    LookOut its OutLook

Convert to thunderbird
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Now enjoy stablity more features and less holes in your security.

I would be interested in converting to thunderbird, if it`s as good as you say??

but would you be interested in give me step by step instruction on converting over, :confused: keeping in mind iàm no super kid when it come to computers
    edited May 2005
    Sure :)
    What do you need first ?
    The installer will ask you if you want it to import everything over to thunderbird. :)
    Anything else just feal free to post and I shall help you with it.
  • collcoll Ireland
    edited May 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Sure :)
    What do you need first ?
    The installer will ask you if you want it to import everything over to thunderbird. :)
    Anything else just feal free to post and I shall help you with it.

ok your on i will give it a go. it i have any probs i will come back to you
  • collcoll Ireland
    edited May 2005
    have it instaled and is working verry well. Nice one thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    No problem I love to help :) if you have any issues just aim me :) BTJgrayfox is my screenname