Computer will not boot without the windows CD in tray

edited February 2009 in Hardware
Ok ladies and gents, this is my frist post to this site, though i've been reading some threads for awhile.

I recently built a new computer and now when i try to boot, it goes past the bios screen, past the raid screen, then says "unable to find boot disk, insert boot disk and press enter" I believe it's the nvidia boot agent that produces this message.

Specs on the computer:

DFI Lanparty UT nf4 ultra-D
A64 3500+ Winchester
ATI x800 xl
2x512 OCZ PC 4000
2x36 gig raptors in raid 0

So, i really don't know what else i can say. If the windows cd is in the drive, it boots up normally. Otherwise i get the error previously stated. Once booted, everything seems to run fine, except HL2, which seems to have some error loading a file. Also, as soon as the windows boot screen appears it's possible to remove the disk and windows will continue booting. It's as if my computer can't find the boot sector on the raid array without the windows cd in there.

Thank in advance for any help.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    come on guys, no responses? another thing, every time we reboot the quick launch icons go away, so I'm thinking that we're probably losing registry stuff as well...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Once it's booted, what does it say in Device Manager about drivers installed for the raid controller? (Version #, location, etc.)

What does the bios say about boot order?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    When you created your raid array, did you make it bootable? You do this after creating the array but before exiting the raid bios. Under 'Hard Disk Boot Priority' you should have the Nvraid-xxxx as the first device in this group.
  • edited May 2005
    Boot order is set to floppy>cd>hd. Priority under HD is NVRaid>IDE. It only boots from cd if you hit a key to boot from cd. Which you do not have to do to get it to boot windows with the cd, it just boots as if off of the hard drive. Also, yes we made it a bootable volume in the raid controls just after the bios screen. All checks list it as healthy.

::Once it's booted, what does it say in Device Manager about drivers installed for the raid controller? (Version #, location, etc.)

Name: NVIDIA STRIPE 68.95G
    Device Type: Disk Drives
    Manufacturer: (Standard Disk Drives)

"This device is working properly...."

Drivers....

Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 7/1/2001
    Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
    Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\partmgr.sys

I assume that's what you wanted? If you need more, let me know. I appreciate the help guys.
    -Wolf
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    All that is correct but......

When you created teh raid array in the raid bios did you make the array "bootable"?

If not sure you will need to enter the raid bios like when you set it up and go to details. If it isn't then you will need to make it bootable. It sounds like this is your problem as windows it simply finding the boot files from the CD. Without the array made bootable it will never boot from your raid array.
  • edited May 2005
    I'm 99.9% certain that it is set to bootable. I will reboot shortly and verify that though.

Thanks.
  • edited May 2005
    Just rebooted, checked the bios. Everything looks correct still. Also, raid array is definately set to "bootable: yes".

Note: This time, on boot (with cd in tray) the quicklaunch was still there....

-Wolf
  • edited May 2005
    I have the same problem, but i got an EPoX Board with an AMD 64 bit processor. I got no friggen idea what is wrong, but it only boots when you leave the XP cd in there and dont do anything when it says press any key to boot from cd. Also it takes forever to detect IDE drives, like 5 minutes to go through the entire boot process.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    During the boot process, does the light on the cdrom drive flash at all?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    okay I never bothered to post what the fix to this problem was. basically for us, when we were installing windows to the raid array it gave us a message saying "windows must put some files on your other drive" and we though what the hell but ok. it turns out the windows setup put the boot sector on the IDE hdd instead of on the raid array where windows was installed

the solution? in the dfi bios you can pick the hdd boot order OR you can also press escape when booting to bring up a boot menu.

I don't know what your setup is, but thats how we fixed Oreoflow's problem
  • edited May 2005
    Nevermind, after reading this last night, i troubleshooted it further with my computer lab instructor and we figured out that the HDD was indeed bad! Thanks for the help though.

Onoria
  • edited July 2005
    Sorry for bumping up a month old thread, but...

I recently built a computer for my friend and am having the same exact problem. However, I don't have a raid setup. The problem happend right after I isntalled Broadcom drivers from the mobo driver disc.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Chaintech VNF4 non-Ultra
    WD Raptor 36GB HD
    Maxtor 80GB (PATA) HD
    2GB Corsair XMS
    Radeon X800

Just like the original poster, I'm getting this error. Before I was getting some error with nvidia trying to detect DHCP settings or some such. I disabled the lan boot up and now it simply gives the same error as the OP.

Having the windows disc in of course lets the comp go by fine, but I'd rather not make my friend put his WinCD in each time he wants to turn the comp on.

The boot order of the hard drives seem perfectly fine, the Raptor is booting first, it has the OS on it. Device boot order is Floppy -> CD -> HD. The device listing in Windows also seems to be perfectly fine. I just can't figure this out and this is the one thread on the net that I've found with the same problem.

Again, sorry for the old thread bump, and thanks.
  • edited February 2008
    I am having the exact same problem too! Just built my puter with a MSI NEO2 motherboard/ AMD 64 3800 combo. I cant boot my OS without the CD in the tray. I think it has something to do with the drivers that came with the motherboard because after I installed them and rebooted..thats when I had to start inserting the system disk.

I have no idea how to fix this though. Anyone have any answers? please email me if you can..thanks

whydanwhy wrote:
    Sorry for bumping up a month old thread, but...

I recently built a computer for my friend and am having the same exact problem. However, I don't have a raid setup. The problem happend right after I isntalled Broadcom drivers from the mobo driver disc.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Chaintech VNF4 non-Ultra
    WD Raptor 36GB HD
    Maxtor 80GB (PATA) HD
    2GB Corsair XMS
    Radeon X800

Just like the original poster, I'm getting this error. Before I was getting some error with nvidia trying to detect DHCP settings or some such. I disabled the lan boot up and now it simply gives the same error as the OP.

Having the windows disc in of course lets the comp go by fine, but I'd rather not make my friend put his WinCD in each time he wants to turn the comp on.

The boot order of the hard drives seem perfectly fine, the Raptor is booting first, it has the OS on it. Device boot order is Floppy -> CD -> HD. The device listing in Windows also seems to be perfectly fine. I just can't figure this out and this is the one thread on the net that I've found with the same problem.

Again, sorry for the old thread bump, and thanks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    please email me if you can..thanks
    We'll post right here, so that everyone who comes to this thread can benefit. Make sure you set your forum "User CP" settings so that you are alerted by email when the thread receives new activity.

Welcome to Icrontic! I wish I definitive advise for you, but this problem you describe is new to me. Do you know how to perform a Windows XP "repair installation?" (Not Recovery Console, but a repair installation) There may be an easier fix, but I'm not aware of it.
  • edited February 2008
    Leonardo wrote: »
    We'll post right here, so that everyone who comes to this thread can benefit. Make sure you set your forum "User CP" settings so that you are alerted by email when the thread receives new activity.

Welcome to Icrontic! I wish I definitive advise for you, but this problem you describe is new to me. Do you know how to perform a Windows XP "repair installation?" (Not Recovery Console, but a repair installation) There may be an easier fix, but I'm not aware of it.
    Yeah Im aware of the repair installation but its not a huge problem for me since i dont really use my cdrom all that much anyways. Keeping my system disk there isnt a big deal.. but it would be nice to know exactly why this is happening before i go off and let windows "repair" solve the problem. Although it maybe my only hope in the long run.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    That is strange. I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you. Good luck.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited February 2008
    Wow, talk about thread revival......I thought Prof had finally made a reappearance!!!!!!

My advice would be to try the repair install also, if that doesn't fix it at least it will narrow down the alternatives.

Also, please post a little more detail about your specific scenario. Where does it get to if the CD isn't in, does it prompt for CD? etc...........

When you do boot up does device manager show any Unknown Devices or hardware without drivers installed. If you think it may be the mobo drivers, check you have the most up to date drivers via the company website and try running them.

Also, you could set your bios settings to use "Optimal Defaults" in case it is to do with a bios setting you have inadvertenly changed that is causing your problem.

This will narrow down if the issue is OS related, driver related or BIOS related.

Cheers........:D
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    epic OS data currpotion, maybe? If its bad enough,wouldent that cause a computer not to boot unless theres a boot disk in?
  • edited February 2008
    Ok yeah so when i boot my machine it detects everything. my hard drive is set to master and pops up on ide ch 0 and the cdrom which is also set to master is on ide ch1. My bios is set to boot from CD, then the hard drive. The next screen pops up.

After that it says "boot from CD"... If the windows cd is in the tray it spins up and my system starts. If its not, the system tries to boot from the hard drive and fails. It then prompts for me to put the system disk in and press enter. i tried the windows repair option.. didnt help. I tried fixmbr and fixboot commands. Still no help. I'm wondering if its the hard drive. I bought it about 5 years ago.

As far as the bios settings... Ive had it set to all the defaults so i know thats not the problem. It just seems like when the computer searches for the boot sector on the hard disk, it fails to see it. When I finished building the machine I did a clean install of XP Professional. Thats when I first noticed this. I then upgraded to vista which again gave me the same problem.
    Byron172 wrote:
    My advice would be to try the repair install also, if that doesn't fix it at least it will narrow down the alternatives.

Also, please post a little more detail about your specific scenario. Where does it get to if the CD isn't in, does it prompt for CD? etc...........
    edited February 2008
    You made mention of the mobo drivers earlier, did the system boot OK at one stage and then start doing this after the mobo drivers installed?
  • edited February 2008
    I reinstalled XP today and now everything is starting up ok. Who knows what happened. It may have been that when I previously installed XP that the boot files didn't install correctly and since my vista install is upgrade only, that those files wouldnt have been corrected...

so now just to be on the safe side im leaving it as an XP OS with the vista transformation pack installed which essentially mimics the Vista environment which is fine by me since XP is a lot more stable and has faster data transfer rates anyway. Thanks for all your help.

Byron172 wrote:
    You made mention of the mobo drivers earlier, did the system boot OK at one stage and then start doing this after the mobo drivers installed?
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, that explains why it's happened with both O/S's.

I agree with you about XP being more stable etc. I recently set up a dual boot system so that you can boot into XP or Vista. That way you get the best of both worlds. It's real easy if you have two partitions and install XP first and then install Vista on the other partition. It allows you to "get to know" Vista and still run XP for you daily computing.

If you've already personalised XP and can't be bothered setting it all up again, simply Clone your current HDD onto a larger one using "HDClone Free" or something similar, then install Vista on the remaining space (which should automatically get set up as a second partition).

Glad it is all sorted........:D
  • edited May 2008
    Okay I was having this same problem as well.
    I can type a long story about how the problem came to exist after formatting my pc and what I hadn't tried to fix it based on entries I read at several different forums. I won't though, because the only reason for this post is to let everyone know what eventually worked for me:

I arranged the jumpers on my hard drives so that the drive with XP installed was the master. Also, I put that drive first in the boot order. Sounds simple, doesn't it?
    To anyone reading this and thinking that's not going to be the solution to your problem: Just go through the most basic of steps again and MAKE DAMN SURE that your jumpers and boot order are as they are supposed to be. I thought mine were and that cost me about 5 hours of unnecessary agrevation.

So good luck.
  • Bluephoria2Bluephoria2 Silver Spring, Maryland
    edited May 2008
    I had the same problem just yesterday on a fresh install of windows, and it turns out that I had all three of my hard drives plugged in during installation which made my boot drive E:/ instead of C:/ and for some reason that game me the same prompt as you guys. I just did a clean install with only the one hard drive attached and it made it drive C:/ and the message went away.

Just something you may want to check. Also check the jumpers thing like the guy above said, I've had that happen before. It's one of those things where you smack yourself in the forehead afterward...
  • pekopeko New
    edited February 2009
    I have the same problem on an AMD box with XP SP3. I tried two different hard-drives and what not. Is there a way to check if the boot-sectors are damaged?
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    If you use any type of third party partitioning tool, make sure you set the partition to active, Windows won't do that on an already formatted partition. My boss spent 3 hours troubleshooting that once...
  • pekopeko New
    edited February 2009
    No third party stuff here. How can I make it active?
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    Well, the easiest way would be to run a dos boot CD and use fdisk to set the parition active. I've never done it in anything NT based except for Disk Management, which you'll find in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management.
  • pekopeko New
    edited February 2009
    I've been to Computer Management in Windows and right-clicked on volume C. 'Set to active' is grayed out, but I don't think that necessarily means that the volume IS active. I don't have a DOS cd. I have a nice bootable XP cd. I don't think fdisk is on the latest Windows releases. Am I right? Whilst setting the volume I'm using, from Windows, might be impossible, I'd like to at least know if it is active or not.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    You can do it with a bootable GParted CD as well, which is free (aside from the CD, anyway).