I would like to learn more

DsmkingDsmking Chicago, IL
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
Hey, I'm new to this forum, I was reading up on this folding protein, I even watched the video.

I'm still curious when you download the program what does it actually do.

something about taking power from your computer?

Hmm I'm up for doing it.. someone please explain a little furthur for me what it does..

It sound cool and stuff, I'd like to help people out in any way by using this thing.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    When you install any of the folding clients, it will download a work unit(WU). To process the WU, it requires CPU time from your system. It uses the CPU when you aren't. So if you're browsing the web, your CPU is likely sitting at 0-2%, and the Folding @ Home client will use the remainder. When you sleep, if your system is left on, the F@H client will use 100% of the cpu. If you're sleeping and a virus scan, the F@H client will use whatever the virus scanning application isn't using.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Welcome to our site. How did you hear about our project? :D
  • DsmkingDsmking Chicago, IL
    edited May 2005
    Well actually I was searching around for help on spyware and I came across this forum. It seemed like a cool place, and I am currently looking for help, my logfile is up. But besides the point I talked to mmonnin and he helped me through some things and was very helpful and he introduced me to your project so I took a look at it. I just currently downloaded it and followed what you guys said to do by putting team #93 in.

Oh yeah what do I do.. do I have to keep the program opened or can I close it and will it still run?

Thanks.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If you downloaded the console version, you can run it as a service so you don't have to keep the window open. I can do up some screenies if you need assistance.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    Hey man. Glad you decided to join the team!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    If you followed the quick-and-dirty guide, all you need to do now is reboot and it will run in the background. After rebooting, you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and click the Task Manager and then choose the Processes tab. There should be a "FahCore" with a number after it that has the CPU running at ~90-99%. :)
    edited May 2005
    I talked to him again and he is on 98 so no services.:(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Maybe he'd like to switch to the GUI then? I couldn't stand having that console open in my taskbar all the time. Drove me nuts. I wouldn't switch until they let you automatically set it up as a service.
    edited May 2005
    For Win98, you could use something like TrayIt.
    edited May 2005
    I dont mind it in the taskbar. I have 2 rows for my taskbar and when I am on there are always several things open anyway.

I suggest the GUI but then he had to go to work yesterday.