Newegg coming to the UK

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Science & Tech
The Inquirer has news today that megastore NewEgg.com is finally coming to the UK.
Inq wrote:
SOURCES SAID etailer New Egg, big in the US, is to set up shop in the United Kingdom.

Looks like our UK bretheren will be having another quality place to shop soon.

Submitted by: muddocktor

Source: The Inquirer

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    WOW! Finally! This is good news for SMx as well! The next time a brit gets an SMx computer, we can ship the case from newegg. Wee!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    I wish they would come to canada :(.
    There prices are so amasing Ive had my buddy ship me up stuff :) .
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    ...wait til the brit's get wind of this!!! :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    !
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    This not just great news for UK techies, but for the entire European Union as well. Just watch computer components prices fall in Europe now. Ah, competition, gotta love it. Congratulations to our European Short-Media members.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    Great news for the UK. :) :ukflag:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Call me sceptical, but lets see first. A few other companies have descended upon our little isle in the past, promising prices just like the US folks pay....

Then we realise that that meant paying £45 for an item that is $45 :(

Lets wait and see if

A. They do actually setup shop here.
    B. Their prices do actually reflect the same kind of price structure that the US has.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Shorty wrote:
    Call me sceptical, but lets see first. A few other companies have descended upon our little isle in the past, promising prices just like the US folks pay....

Lets wait and see if

B. Their prices do actually reflect the same kind of price structure that the US has.
    It's ok to be skeptical.
    I still can't figure out why newegg wants roughly $36.95 for an arctic cooling 1 rev 2 when I can get it at other places I shop for roughly $26.95.
    But typically we find best prices, shipping, and rma from them on a regular basis.
    edited May 2005
    Shorty wrote:

Lets wait and see if

No Shorty, I would not expect to see the same prices as in the US - just as we in the US can't expect to see the same prices on electronics as can be found in Taiwan or Hong Kong. But I think it's a fair chance that their prices will in the main will be better than much of what's available presently. I really don't think Newegg would set up in Europe if they weren't completely sure they have the business model to attract the consumers. Newegg became huge in the US for a reason.
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah, you guys have to fight that dreaded VAT, so I doubt your prices will be in line with US prices. But like Leo I feel that they will give you more competitive prices and also, good service too.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2005
    Shorty wrote:

Lets wait and see if

This is exactly what I posted in another forum. Newegg are in the business of making money, therefore if they can get away with charging UK type prices then you can bet your ass that they will. What would be good was if we could get the levels of customer service that you guys get from Newegg, then I'd be happy.
    edited May 2005
    Newegg are in the business of making money, therefore if they can get away with charging UK type prices then you can bet your ass that they will. What would be good was if we could get the levels of customer service that you guys get from Newegg, then I'd be happy.
    I understand your flippancy about this. What made Newegg such a powerhouse in the US? Low prices, backed up with superb, customer-is-right service. No, due to the overall higher cost of living in the UK, you won't see US-Newegg prices unfortunately. But nonetheless, I would be optimistic. I really don't think Newegg would jump across the Atlantic only to launch another Etail operation not distinguished from what's already available to you Europeans.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited May 2005
    Scepticism is my middle name, but even I can't really see a downside to this.

At the very least it should work towards more competitive prices on-line. Currently I shop at three main places online in the UK: Dabs.com, Misco.co.uk and Overclockers.co.uk (Overclockers is a much smaller company). Those three are the only ones I've found to be consistently efficient with the right price.

However, there isn't really a sense of competition among say Dabs.com and Misco.co.uk, the larger company’s. It's as if they're happy to co-exist side by side with exactly the same prices. A third big player could really help shake things up a bit. It's just what the UK market needs, at least from a consumer point of view.
    edited May 2005
    Spinner wrote:
    ..........Currently I shop at three main places online in the UK: Dabs.com, Misco.co.uk and Overclockers.co.uk (Overclockers is a much smaller company). Those three are the only ones I've found to be consistently efficient with the right price.

However, there isn't really a sense of competition among say Dabs.com and Misco.co.uk, the larger company’s. It's as if they're happy to co-exist side by side with exactly the same prices. A third big player could really help shake things up a bit. It's just what the UK market needs, at least from a consumer point of view.

Spinner, there was me thinking that you were a man of taste, decency & culture. And yet by admitting that you shop at Overclockers.co.uk you've just dispelled that falsehood in one short go. :) I take you haven't had the privelege (not) of using their craptaculous rma service.

As for a 3rd big player what about Scan & Ebuyer, i think they're pretty big in the market. Ebuyer's prices are usually better than most but again their customer support is somewhat less than stellar & that's the thing I'm most looking for from Newegg if they set up a UK store
    edited May 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    Spinner, there was me thinking that you were a man of taste, decency & culture. And yet by admitting that you shop at Overclockers.co.uk you've just dispelled that falsehood in one short go. :) I take you haven't had the privelege (not) of using their craptaculous rma service.

As for a 3rd big player what about Scan & Ebuyer, i think they're pretty big in the market. Ebuyer's prices are usually better than most but again their customer support is somewhat less than stellar & that's the thing I'm most looking for from Newegg if they set up a UK store
    ;D Well, I have on a couple of occasions had to RMA items through Overclockers, and had no problems, but I accept that other people may have had worse luck. I'll say one thing though against them, their telephone system is a nightmare. But apart from that I personally have had nothing but good service from them, for myself, and my clients.

Not a big fan of Ebuyer, limited product catalogue when compared to Dabs and Misco, and their delivery prices and options (last time I checked) weren't that great.

I haven't used Scan, so I can't really comment, but their product catalogue also seems a little limited when compared to Dabs or Misco.

I get the feeling Newegg would be the kind of store that stocks everything available, like Dabs or Misco. Overclockers obviously haven't got a large product catalogue compared to the big players, but they do have pretty much everything you need for building a cool new computer, though their Monitor range could do with some expanding.

With the smaller outlets it's a matter of personal preference obviously, but the addition of another Dabs or Misco might help get a bit of healthy competition going, and like you said, hopefully/maybe help set a new standard of customer service for online shopping. :)
    edited May 2005
    Yeah I know what you mean about the limit stock in both shops.

As for Overclockers, well lets just say I had to threaten them Trading Standards & legal action before I got anything that remotely resembled customer service of any standard. 4 months it took me to get video card rma'd. Other's have also shared my not so pleasent experience.
    edited May 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    As for Overclockers, well lets just say I had to threaten them Trading Standards & legal action before I got anything that remotely resembled customer service of any standard. 4 months it took me to get video card rma'd. Other's have also shared my not so pleasent experience.
    Hmm, well I'm surprised and of course sorry to hear that, and a little disappointed in them too. For me though they're only an hour drive away from where I live, so if they ever start messing me around, I can always just pay them a visit in person. :)

4 months though.... geez. :shakehead