Sony Laptop Display Problem

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Hardware
Ok... Sony PCG-FXA59 Laptop.

No LCD Display and no external display either. No BIOS screen, no OS screens, nothing. System seems to boot. but I cannot verify that. No apparent damage on the motherboard, I looked at the inverter and it seems fine...

My question (or validation to my answer) is... If no internal or external display, Video card is dead.

The user has no info on how this happened, or how long ago. I suppose to determine if it can be fixed for under $200. I'm thinking NO...

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Without really getting any more info, I can still say with about 90% confidence that whatever is wrong cannot be fixed for under $200. :-/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Inverters are under $100 but I think the video is shot, and that's an entire new (what did Apple call it...) midboard. :p
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    i have delt with sony for a VERY long time..and one thing i know, that anytime i had a sever problem with one of my laptops sony would send out a fed-ex and have the unit fixed in a flash and if under warranty..its just that much better..what im tring to say is that this problem can easily be fixed by sony..!!
    P.S. if youre system is under warranty, you will not pay anything..!!!
    not even shipping.!!

It's not a driver problem because you get no display even before it gets into Windows. So maybe it's the CRT/LCD button (usually Function + F5 or something like that). I've had that happen to me a few times before on different laptops. You switch them on one day and they think that they should be sending the graphics signal through the TV-out socket to an external monitor, hence no picture on your screen.

i think..
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2005
    It's a longshot, but I've seen laptops where the switch that kills the video when you shut the lid become stuck. It could even be bad. Is it easy to get to to jump it out?
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited May 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    It's a longshot, but I've seen laptops where the switch that kills the video when you shut the lid become stuck. It could even be bad. Is it easy to get to to jump it out?

LoL, its funny so said that prof.!! i was just about to post that info..!! ;D
  • edited April 2006
    hi all
    i have the same problem with sony PCG-FXA53
    i need help any idea ..
    best regard
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2006
    no you would still get the video out to another display even if the lid is cloased

try this pull the battery out then hold the power button down for 10 - 20 seconds

clears the bios
  • edited April 2006
    hi gibbonsi
    i try what u say (mybe i do somthing wrong)
    so plz can u tell me more specificaton . like i let computer on then i left battry ....
    the processor work the CDROM work i hear it . no data on LCD or even in external monetor..
    so plz help me.
    best regard
    edited April 2006
    not much to it pull the battery, make sure the laptop is not pluged in, hold power button in for 10-20 seconds then release

then plug in(don't worry about the battery) then try starting it

it is sounding more and more like the mother board, and or the vid card is fried

one more thing you can try is reseating the RAM , have seen this do the same thing
  • edited April 2006
    thank you
    but it not work it the same problem
    look like every thing is ok put nothing on LCD
    edited April 2006
    have you tryed reseating the RAM?
  • edited April 2006
    how to do that?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    To "reseat" the RAM:

1. turn all power off and remove the laptop battery
    2. open the hatch (door) that covers the laptop memory module
    3. pull out the memory (RAM) (do not touch the contact strip)
    4. put the memory back in its slot