Pics of my new folding machine

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
Opteron 142, 2x256MB ECC ram, 40GB HDD, Asus SK8N, a decent case, and the pimpest video card available(at one point long long ago), a 32MB Radeon 7000!
I got the chip, board, ram and HSF from Tex for an amazing price on the promise that it would fold for #93. Here she is!

I paid $85 bucks for the case, the HDD and video card were sitting around collecting dust. For the $85 CDN the case is surprisingly nice, came with a 120mm fan in the back, an 80mm in the door and room for either an 80 or 120mm up front. After removing the stamped bracket/grill for the 80mm fan, the 120 is unobstructed in pulling air in the front, and did make a difference in the noise level, for the good. There's also a series of 30 1/4 by 1/8 inch vents across the top on both sides of the case for more airflow.

As is, it's running a 32bit copy of XP, and will continue to do so until there is a folding client that can make use of the 64bit cpu (soon I hope).
Currently it's making it's way through a p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K at about 5 minutes a frame, which makes for about 1200 points a week with tinkers, I'd also imagine that with some gromacs it would make for some better numbers.

Comments

• SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited May 2005
    looking good and bodes well for the team!!!
  • edited May 2005
    That's a nice, clean setup there, Dan. :thumbsup:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    very good looking :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    :wow2: :wow2: :wow2:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2005
    hawt
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    How is the production on that Opteron? I'm looking at a new dual myself (hopefully in the next week or so). It won't look half as sweet as your rig, but it will fold. :D
    I just want an idea of how well.

Nice setup. :thumbsup:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited May 2005
    Gee that rig looks surprisingly familiar.

Hope you enjoy it.

Those Zalmans rock considering the noise factor don't they!

And donut your dual opteron rig should arrive Tuesday I bet!

Tex

Tex is fueling the folding rush to AMD64's. (grin)

hey I have both a s754 3200+ complete amd64 system (MB, CPU, RAM, PSU, HD, DVD burner etc..) and another dual opteron MB I need to sell if anyone is looking to upgrade. I just have not listed them yet. As always I will shave some off the price and give preferance to folders. If you want the dual opterton MB yes I can possibly include cpu's, ram, psu's etc...

If you want referances talk to Dan and donut who posted above.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    I was estimating tues, or wed for the parts to arrive. :thumbsup:

Hell, half the U.S. thinks we're part of Canada, part thinks we're STILL part of Mass. ;D
    edited May 2005
    When I shipped I forgot Monday was even a holliday. They keep the mail moving point to point and just don't do door to door delivery on the weekends.

I will be shocked if it doesnt arrive Tusday.

Tex
    edited May 2005
    DanG wrote:
    Currently it's making it's way through a p1136_p1130_L939_K12M_355K at about 5 minutes a frame, which makes for about 1200 points a week with tinkers, I'd also imagine that with some gromacs it would make for some better numbers.

Is that good? I have no idea if 1200 a week is a good number or not.

I just got a dual xeon with 2.8ghz cpu's. I wonder how it would compare.

Tex
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2005
    Dual Xeons rule for folding!

Folding is still pretty much raw Ghz AFAIK. I've got a pair OC'd to 2.9 and get approx. 3000 PPw (rough estimate) running 4 instances. AMD's traditionally do better with the tinker cores. Thils is why I was kinda looking for an updated comparison between the Opteron and the Xeon.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Tex wrote:
    Is that good? I have no idea if 1200 a week is a good number or not.

I just got a dual xeon with 2.8ghz cpu's. I wonder how it would compare.

Tex

Yeah, for that cpu speed(1.6ghz), 1200 is a very good number. My A64 3200+ getting nothing but the 600 point gromacs would put out around 1800 points per week. I paid more for my A64 cpu than I did for that complete setup from you, so points per $$, the opteron is my winner right now.