A Gamer's video card

edited May 2005 in Hardware
I am looking for a video card that is good in itself. I do not overclock, so however the product is when I install it is it. So my question is what would be the best product for me. It does not matter either nvid or ati. Price is a concern only if it really does not matter, i.e. if one costs $50 more because it has some extra features, which are not worth it to me. I do not need to watch tv on my cp either. Right now I have an ati 9600xt 128mb. I welcome any advice, thanks. :D

Comments

• edited May 2005
    Since you wont overclock, the 6800 Ultra is your best bet. You might want to wait till ATI's new card comes out to see how it compaires, too.
  • edited May 2005
    what does the 6800 cost and is it 256mb? Also, what is the new ati card coming out and how does it differ from the 6800 ultra?
  • edited May 2005
    justin1224 wrote:
    what does the 6800 cost and is it 256mb?

Depends. Look it up at newegg.com.
    justin1224 wrote:
    Also, what is the new ati card coming out and how does it differ from the 6800 ultra?

No one is sure exactly, but it will be faster then the 6800 ultra.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited May 2005
    but the new ATI card will be followed by a new NVIDIA card... its an endless cycle
  • edited May 2005
    But if price doesn't matter, then you'd be better off buying into the technology as soon as it's released (and properly reviewed) so you can at least have 6 months before they get overshadowed again.

On the other hand, if you don't mind having the "second best", wait till the new cards come out, and buy what USED to be "the best" for a greatly reduced price.

EDIT: And since SM3.0 is supported in only the nVidia cards at this point, get something 6800U based, unless you want to wait for the next gen of cards to come out in another month or two.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited May 2005
    im getting a 6800 here in the next month or so. Not the gt not the ultra. the straight 6800 from what I can see by reviews is the best price/performance. You can unlock the last 4 pipelines etc.
  • edited May 2005
    is ati's 850xt better than the 6800ultra?? They are the same price range. Also would you guys recomend whating until the NEW ati comes out so the 6800 goes on major sale?????
  • edited May 2005
    another question: I looked at those 2 sites and saw all the different makes and makers of the 850 and the 6800, what are the differences, aside from the prices????
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    x850 is better but wait for the next gen its goina be 70% faster.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2005
    Yeah, and ATi is going to have its version of SLI coming, too. If 2x6800u is better (like 1 2/3 times-ish?) than an x850xtpe, wait for two of those suckers. Damn. And if you say 70% than an already amazing card, two of those? Holy crap.
  • edited May 2005
    Fox, when I can expect this amazing card to be in stores, it is hard to wait to upgrade, you know what I mean????
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    im getting a 6800 here in the next month or so. Not the gt not the ultra. the straight 6800 from what I can see by reviews is the best price/performance. You can unlock the last 4 pipelines etc.

Gobbles, only on the agp version can you unlock the extra pipes & shader. The pci-e is not softmodable & therefore I believe is not as good as the ati pci-e equivalent
  • BIGGIBIGGI Fort Meade, MD
    edited May 2005
    X850XT, picked mine up for 399.00 USD on NewEgg :D

I don't overclocke either, but there is a nice little button that OCs the card for you for you system specs. Go for this :thumbsup:
    edited May 2005
    not to be entirely rude, but www.google.com is your friend
    look up reviews, etc., otherwise you're making an uninformed purchase which is never a good idea
    edited May 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    Gobbles, only on the agp version can you unlock the extra pipes & shader. The pci-e is not softmodable & therefore I believe is not as good as the ati pci-e equivalent

due to the way my upgrade cash is going to work, I have to upgrade instages.

PSU and video card are first. I have to get agp. Im running a 8500le and its showing it age badly. Then in july or august im doing the processor and mobo. Ill probably go with DFI lan4 939 agp board if its out by then, if not then the next best looking board is a MSI neo 2 939 250gb. Im stuck with AGP till the end of the year.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2005
    Definitely. :)
    edited May 2005
    justin1224 wrote:
    Fox, when I can expect this amazing card to be in stores, it is hard to wait to upgrade, you know what I mean????
    August is the roumered release date of the fudo (R520)
    Gobbles wrote:
    due to the way my upgrade cash is going to work, I have to upgrade instages.

PSU and video card are first. I have to get agp. Im running a 8500le and its showing it age badly. Then in july or august im doing the processor and mobo. Ill probably go with DFI lan4 939 agp board if its out by then, if not then the next best looking board is a MSI neo 2 939 250gb. Im stuck with AGP till the end of the year.

8500le was awesome for its time It single handedly made me switch to ati :D
    edited May 2005
    agreed. But the operative phrase there is "for its time" and mine has done well for the last several years but she is ready for retirement, actually she is going into the pvr box, svid out to the tv.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I don't know why everyone is getting their hopes up for the R520. The video card industry is littered with disappointments after months of grapevine hype..

Wait and see.
    edited May 2005
    :S I was impressed with the r420 and nv 45.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    And? Tell me, were you impressed with the NV35 or even the R420 which fell far short of its hype?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    I don't know why everyone is getting their hopes up for the R520. The video card industry is littered with disappointments after months of grapevine hype..

Wait and see.

I agree.. Seems like the R520 specs are getting cut down more and more everytime I read a new 'inside tip'. Who knows what the production model will employ. Went from 32 pipes, to 24, to speculation of 16. I'll believe it when I see it..
    edited May 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    And? Tell me, were you impressed with the NV35 or even the R420 which fell far short of its hype?
    I wasn't paying atention for the start of there hype.
    lemonlime wrote:
    I agree.. Seems like the R520 specs are getting cut down more and more everytime I read a new 'inside tip'. Who knows what the production model will employ. Went from 32 pipes, to 24, to speculation of 16. I'll believe it when I see it..

Ive hear the opposite first I heard 24 then 32 now 48 and since the xbox 360 has 48 and its based off the fudo core its most likely goian be 48.
    edited May 2005
    Im scared to see what they are going to charge for it. Sorry but 500 dollars for a graphics card is flat out gay. It does half what a motherboard does, and is far less complicated but 4x the price. Yes it comes with the processor on board and ram but it still does not add up to what you are paying for it retail. I bet the top end cards from both groups cost less than 50 dollars US to produce. :wtf:
    edited May 2005
    I have no problem paying for a $500 card if it is powerfull enough to play all the games max with awesome framerate.
    edited May 2005
    im a tightwad. comes from being poor all my life. :D
    edited May 2005
    I want my X800XT to hurry up and get here :(
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2005
    i knew about the nvidia 6800ultras, but i didnt know anything about those X850XTs.. cool. I just bought a 9800pro, so I hope it turns out well. I know (at least I think) i'll never need to buy a video card as expensive as those 6800ultras and 850xts. :p
    edited May 2005
    You mean 6800ultra :P

And you made a good choice its better for what you do and cheeper :).