Hyperthreading and Folding

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Folding@Home
I have heard people state that running two instances of folding on a HT enabled box is not that much of a benefit. I have heard numbers of 5% to 20% increase with HT enabled. I was curious, I have had my P4 running with 2 gigs of ram and two clients, both folding the 450 pointer QMD cored 1912's for almost a month now. ( No issues with two of these )
It has been steadily turning in 450 points a day. I thought this would be a good time to do the test.

First screenie , HT enabled 2 cores
Second screenie HT disabled in BIOS 1core

Looks like about a 13% increase with HT enabled. If I base the next year on this protein, that 13% is 21,000 points a year !

I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Scott

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Wow, I didn't think it was that much of a boost. I guess I have some work to do on the systems I have that have HT.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Nobody believes the benefit until they do it themselves. It really works.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2005
    The benefit probably depends on the WU being processed but there sure is an increase.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I've just flipped my work machine over, so we'll see how it goes. I'm just not looking forward to going around to 20 machines and having to physically be at it to enable HT...
    Oh well, I will do what I need for the points.