SM 9, 13, 15, 18 - no production

2»

Comments

• SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    Just wondering... why do so many SM rigs go down so often?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    1.) They are made up of old/used parts so they have a higher frequency of failing.
    2.) They are frankenstein machines of mixed parts.
    3.) They are not used every day like our desktops so hosts dont see it right away.
    4.) Lack of hosts using EM3 on their own machines. EM3 will tell you when a machine is down.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Well, statistically when you have almost 30 computers that have been built from people's spare (read: sometimes junk) parts, shipped all over the place and put back together, chances are that there will likely be a bad part once in a while. People donate old hardware to SMx, and usually the PSUs and hard drives we get are discards.

So, there's that.

Then, the older SMx rigs (before short-media even existed) were sometimes given to hosts that were, let's say, less than trustworthy. There were some missing computers. We've slowly been reassigning the missing ones to new, better hosts.

Eventually, all 30(30+) of them will be humming away in harmony :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2005

Eventually, all 30(30+) of them will be humming away in harmony :)

The Zen of Folding. :ninja:
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited June 2005
    ok, that's the reason I figured. I wanted to get a true answer before I assumed that it was either that folding can eventually cause parts to go bad quicker, or that they were made of 'recycled' parts.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    Along these lines, check out this thread. :)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    MrBill wrote:
    Got another rig up folding as SM10. Gotta make up those lost points! :)

Fan was locked up in the PSU....no wonder it kept rebooting and/or shutting down.

Now, I have to find/make time to get the dually operational.
    To clarify, in case there is any confusion. I didn't replace SM10 with another machine. I now have 3 rigs folding as SM10(Icrontic10) to help make up for lost points.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    Thats not necessary Bill. I know you want to make up lost ground but its fine.