WTB: cable router

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited June 2005 in Trading Post
(this is for a friend, i just sold a cable router lol)

preferably linksys, netgear, or d-link

thanks!

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have a Network Everywhere brand (made by Linksys, cheaper apperance, similar management page) that I'll probably be selling in a couple of weeks when I buy a wireless router. If you still need one then, let me know.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited May 2005
    not for me and he needs it asap, sorry....but thanks for the offer.
  • edited May 2005
    You could easily turn an old ass PC (like a 486 or faster) into a Smoothwall router. A trained monkey could set one up.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited May 2005
    hmmm. could you teach me? i have a pc with a pentium 233 in it, i would be curious to see how it works...
  • edited May 2005
    Video? How much RAM do you have for it (64 megs is the recommended limit)? How big a hard drive (1 or 2 gigs would be useful, but you could even go smaller than that if you wanted)?

Is the cable modem itself USB and/or ethernet accessable? It's much easer to set up if it's ethernet, but USB is workable if that's the only option.

You're going to need at least two NICs (AKA "LAN adapters") to build a basic Smoothwall box. One for the "Red" (WAN) port, and one for the "Green" (LAN) port. One, both, or neither have to be on-board. You're also going to need an eithernet switch/hub if you plan to use more than one machine with it.

I already have a project for tonight, but tomorrow I'll throw together a Smoothwall how-to guide. You wouldn't believe how simple it is to set up one of these things, and stuff like transparent web-caching make this
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited June 2005
    wait what is the point if you also need a switch or a hub lmao??
  • edited June 2005
    Because the smoothwall is a router and firewall.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited June 2005
    ...still not even remotely worthwhile imo... i mean...it'd be one thing if it eliminated the need for a router, but to run a whole old pc and still need a switch or hub, it seems like a waste of electricity. firewalls are overrated anyways, ive never had a problem.
  • edited June 2005
    If your friend uses P2P services:

A: most store bought routers will crash, forcing him to reset it at least once a day due to all the traffic.

B: Running without a firewall is a terrible idea.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited June 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    If your friend uses P2P services:

A: most store bought routers will crash, forcing him to reset it at least once a day due to all the traffic.

B: Running without a firewall is a terrible idea.

woah woah woah. p2p has never crashed a router for me, that's just outright false. i have run direct connect and/or bit torrent for DAYS on end on both a linksys router, and separately on a D-Link di604 and i have never experienced this "crash" phenomenom....maybe on like a 5 dollar generic POS one but certainly not on anything respectable
  • edited June 2005
    My D-Link 704 would crash all the time. Tony tried using a Linksys (not sure of the model) and had the same results.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    Mizugori wrote:
    woah woah woah. p2p has never crashed a router for me, that's just outright false. i have run direct connect and/or bit torrent for DAYS on end on both a linksys router, and separately on a D-Link di604 and i have never experienced this "crash" phenomenom....maybe on like a 5 dollar generic POS one but certainly not on anything respectable
    The dlink604 is famous for failing when bit torrent is opened
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited June 2005
    wow im surprised... i never had any problems with it myself. if your router "crashes" what happens exactly? other than all of a sudden losing the internet of course... i think the only trouble ive ever had with my router/s is that i need to reset it/them after we lose power.
  • edited June 2005
    Losing the internet connection for one. I can't remember if you could still connect to the web console or now (I think not).

Do you run BT on more than one computer at the same time?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    This is all fine and dandy, but does Mizugori still need a cable router? If yes, please PM me or email me through the S-M link.