How do i open a port in the free zone alarm?

JBJB Carlsbad, CA
edited February 2011 in Science & Tech
I need to open port 3389 through zone alarm so i can remote desktop to my compter, but i cant find options in zone alarm to open just one port. Is this possible?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I'll get in trouble doing this from memory, but I think that in ZA you allow access by application (program).
    It should ask you if you want the specific prog to have permission, just say yes.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2003
    but thats not the problem....I open a remote desktop session on another computer, and type in my computer's IP(the one running zone alarm). That computer then cannot find my computer, but when i disable zone alarm it works right away. So i need zone alarm to stop blocking/stealthing port 3389 so the remote session can get in
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited September 2003
    From Zone Labs Tech Support pages....

http://nh3.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/OpenBlockPorts.html

That should do it.

Dexter...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I may be wrong but what I think you have to do is allow the other pc (the one trying to connect) to connect. I think you have to enter the ip in some "safe zone" or something.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited September 2003
    alright, thanks guys...looks like ill have to upgrade to get that feature.
  • edited January 2008
    You don't have to buy anything.

In the free Zone Alarm firewall, go to Overview, Preferences, and click on enable proxy server. Type in your port number, and you're good to go. It seems like it can only do one port at a time, however.

But Windows firewall can do more, and adds UDP and TCP options. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Security Center, Exceptions, and Add Port. To be even safer, click on go to "change scope" and add the IP addresses of those you wish to play with.

There is no reason anyone should have to pay any money for a firewall to protect them while playing games (unless you want the new fangled thing that detects which game you're playing and inputs the ports for you).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    bomb babe - welcome to icrontic. That's helpful and accurate advice - even if the original thread is from 2003 ;D

;) But I agree - most people don't need to pay for a firewall.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    he he he:D
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited January 2008
    Geeze, I don't even remember making this post :P
    edited January 2008
    Vicar! :eek2: wow! That's a blast from the past :D

Welcome back :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    he he he
    What, feeling a bit giddy today? Good to see you, Vicar!

Yes, we love you too, Radeon_Man, err, JB!
  • edited January 2008
    Go right ahead... laugh all you want - it's good for the soul. ;) But I bet you didn't know this is the first site that comes up first when you Google "open port zone alarm".

The next joe who builds a screaming new computer, has a spanking a new game and friend just achin' to play, might find this thread instead of sending his poor friend out for pizza while he fiddles with his software.

Now they can just say "aha!" and get on with blasting the bad guys.
    :necro::D

Thanks for the forum, guys!
    BB
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    The next joe who builds a screaming new computer, has a spanking a new game and friend just achin' to play, might find this thread instead of sending his poor friend out for pizza while he fiddles with his software.
    Yes, exactly. That's why oldies-but-goodies don't go to File 13 - they just hybernate until they are needed again.

Thanks for registering and posting at Icrontic. Stick around! We are friendly community.
    edited January 2008
    And we value members like you. :)
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    thanks for the welcome primesuspect and Leonardo:D it's good to be back
  • edited January 2008
    Hi! Im new! and I have a question.
    Ive done everything Bomb Babe said but I cant open port 10000, which I need to play GGXX online.
    Any ideas what I can do?
    thx in advance!
    Edit:I use this web to test to see if the port is open http://whatsmyip.org/ports/
  • edited September 2009
    Hello all... I searched Google for an answer about port 37973, and THIS thread came up. I am GLAD that people still post to older stuff. It DID help me out a bit.

Dan
  • edited June 2010
    bomb babe wrote:
    In the free Zone Alarm firewall, go to Overview, Preferences, and click on enable proxy server. Type in your port number, and you're good to go. It seems like it can only do one port at a time, however.

Well, here in the middle of 2010, this is exactly what I needed, so I'm really glad this thread is still alive and google-able!

But, I'm a bit stumped (not difficult -- I am NOT techy or clever). When I go to ZoneAlarm(Free)> Firewall> Overview> Preferences> General> Options, and it gives me the option to "Enable Proxy Server", it wants me to put in the proxy server (name?) as well as the port. It won't accept the port alone. But I have no idea what a proxy server even *is*, let alone what to type in there.

I'm trying to open a port in order to follow CrashPlan's troubleshooting instructions (link here), where it says:
    Check the software firewall to make sure CrashPlan is allowed both in and out on TCP port 4242. Though most software firewalls allow you to make exceptions for specific programs, we recommend you create an exception for CrashPlan and for port 4242.
    Can anyone tell me what I should put in the "Proxy Server" box?
    Many thanks for any help. :)
  • edited February 2011
    bomb babe wrote:
    You don't have to buy anything.

But Windows firewall can do more, and adds UDP and TCP options. Go to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Security Center, Exceptions, and Add Port. To be even safer, click on go to "change scope" and add the IP addresses of those you wish to play with.

There is no reason anyone should have to pay any money for a firewall to protect them while playing games (unless you want the new fangled thing that detects which game you're playing and inputs the ports for you).

BTW;
    This didn't work, do I need to enter IP aswel, it is insisting on it. Also, my local, router or modem(WAP) IP??
    ZAfree 9.2.102
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011