HELP... system hardlocks when copying to 200gig sata seagates

edited June 2005 in Hardware
greetings,

this is my first post and ive joined the community as i have found a lot of helpful advice on these forums.

i have had a recent issue that i cant seem to resolve and any help would be greateful.

i recently purchased the Gigabyte 8ANXP-D mobo which comes with 2 sata controllers link to info on mobo as follows

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-8ANXP-D.htm

The issue is this.

I recently bought a 200gig seagate sata hdd, i plugged it into the Silicon Image controller... the bios detected them fine and windows xp also detected them ok, i partitioned and formatted it as per usual. When i started to copy some files to it my system would hard lock after about 20 seconds into the copying. I rebooted checked all cables again and the same thing happens. I have found a work around thou which is not a solution. When i plugged the same hdd into the Intel Sata controller everything works flawless like it should. Now i am baffeled and i know that its got something to do with either my OS or the Silicon Image controllers but i already have the latest drivers on provided by gigabyte and i dont know what else to do as i would like to make use of these other sata ports in the near future ??????????

Hope someone can help there.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    Are any of the sata cables tie raped or bent on a 90% angle (Had this issue happen to me 2 times) They dont like to be bent they start causing it to act funny.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Silicon Image and Gigabyte boards have been an issue for some time. I would recomend trying the ICH6R controller instead. The native ICH6R controller is also superior th the SI as it is not restricted to the limitations of the PCI bus. If you still have problems please include the rest of your hardware including memory, PSU and if the system is overclocked or not.
  • edited May 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Silicon Image and Gigabyte boards have been an issue for some time. I would recomend trying the ICH6R controller instead. The native ICH6R controller is also superior th the SI as it is not restricted to the limitations of the PCI bus. If you still have problems please include the rest of your hardware including memory, PSU and if the system is overclocked or not.

yes the issue still exists... cables are all perfect mobo is less than 6 months old... here are a few fast facts.

* silicon image sata controller works fine with my other 80gig seagate sata drive
    * i have a western digital raptor 36 gig 10,000rpm sata drive connected to the silicon image as my c: drive working fine
    * i have 2x 200gig seagates satas that only seem to work properly on the intel sata controller
    * its quite possible that it could be my bios configuration but i doubt it any ideas ? gigabyte is pathetic in explaining what each option in the bios does exactly
    * i am running on this config - windows xp sp1a, 500watt superflower psu, 1gig ddr2 corsair ram, p4 3gig cpu, pretty standard ati pciexpress vid card, system is not overclocked.
    * ive tried resetting bios defaults but when i do that i get a BSOD on boot up as i think its trying to find the raid drivers but cant i dont have any raid setup

there has to be a fix for using my 200gig sata drives on the silicon image otherwise it defeats the purpose of having the controller there... the intel sata controller port is now full 4 drive hanging of it... and the silicon image has 3 available which i want to use in the near future.

could a driver upgrade of of the silicon image controller fix this, or is there a bios upgrade for the silicon image controller...

cheers for your help
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    It does sound like a motherboard drivers problem (integrated SATA controller). There is one other thing you can try: check the SATA Controllers under Device Manager. Compare the advanced settings with the SATA drive that works (80GB) versus the drive(s) that does not. Who knows, perhaps Windows defaults to different settings with your newer drives.

You might also want to check Windows Updates. Could be there is a hardware device driver update just waiting for you to download.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    You may find this thread of interest. You'll be up all night reading it, but there are a lot of tips for someone in your situation.

Good luck, and welcome to Short-Media. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Also check PSU under load-- you have alot of HDs running, can you put up a link to the mfr site for your superflower PSU???? And, try checkdisking all your HDs???? A bad file or files on source for copy can lock a computer quickly and badly (hard lock). Also check for viruses, please.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    You state in post #4 that the Seagates work fine on the ICH6. So what is wrong with that? I have the same PSU on one of my rigs so we can rule that out as they are one of the best. As profdlp pointed out it is an issue with the bios itself. Gigabyte has been screwing up in this department for years as a lot of folks have similar issues when using the SI controllers on their Gigabyte boards. That is why I suggested switching the controllers in the first place.
  • edited June 2005
    ive gone to the silicon image website and i see that there is a new beta bios update available for my card, although when i tried and executed it says i dont have a compatible chipset and it asked me to manually choose one out of 10 of them problem is i dont know what chipset its using so i didnt bother going ahead with the update.

anyhowsss

i managed to install the latest beta windows xp sata drivers for the silicon image controller for 3114 and i tried plugging in the 200gig drive and again it freezes upon copying to it. so the issue still remains for me.

again my intel ich6 sata ports are all taken up now and that is why i want to get the silicon image sata ports working correctly so i can add new hdd to my system, any other info help would be appreciated.

cheers

does anyone else out there have a rig similar to mine or with my mobo at least ??????????????

:confused: