Athlon 64

edited June 2005 in Hardware
I am building a new computer and I am planning on getting an Athlon 64. The only thing that irks me is the fact that I have heard rumors of it's instability, and also I read from my PCGamer that the drivers for the software are still in beta version, so it wouldn't be useful to upgrade to the x64 version of WindowsXP Pro. Here is my question, should I continue with getting the Athlon 64 as opposed to the XP, and if I do get the 64, should I get the x64 Windows or the 32 bit?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Rumors of instability -- it's always rumors. Reality is quite different. I have yet to talk to someone who states that AMD is "unstable" who has himself built or bought one in the last four years. Yeah, sure, don't buy Chevrolets either - the Corvair was "unsafe at any speed"!

Not raggin' on you Holson, just the 'experts' who spout bullspit. ;D

I would go Athlon 64 - it's the future. I don't have a recommendation for Windows OS, as I'm not well-versed on the 32/64 state of advancement.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2005
    I went with an Athlon 64 at New Years. It's been rock-solid for me ever since. I did a repair install of WinXP when I got the new system, mainly to try and spot any obvious manufacturing defects in the new hardware. The thing has run so smoothly that I've never bothered to do a clean install.

As for the 64-Bit version of WinXP, I'd look over my hardware very carefully first. Hardware companies are just now swinging into full gear with driver updates and there are going to be some troubles. I liken it to when Win95 first came out; some things just didn't want to work right until the third or fourth driver release. If everything you buy is on the MS approved list, and a scan of the forums doesn't turn up too many known issues, it would be worth a try. Personally, I'm waiting for a while to take the plunge myself.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2005
    As noted above, 64 bit is the future of computing and the hardware is rock steady. My A64 3700+ San Diego runs like an "unhappily attacked ape" but I'm not going to Windows XP64 bit edition until it and its drivers are more mainstream. But, the hardware, at least from AMD's side, runs without a problem or hiccup. There's absolutely no reason to hesitate.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Rumors, rumors, rumrs! Don't pay attention to the squak, listen to those who walk! :cool:

See my sig below, no problems and agree that Windows64 is new and there is little driver support but it is picking up steam. No one wanted to do it till it was an official OS.
  • edited June 2005
    Well I think I'm going to get the 64 but use the 32 bit Windows for now. I can always save my money and buy the 64 bit edition and get it when it becomes more mainstream. Thanks for the help.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Just for your education:

Next time some 'expert' tells you about AMD instability, ask that person what first-hand experience they have. Ask when the problem was. You'll find it's ancient history (by computer tech standards) or that the person is giving you third or fourth-person (hearsay) information.

Talk to us - we know by experience.

Look forward to seeing you active at the forums, Holson! :thumbsup: