power max

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Ok so ihad been using my custom computer for about 6 months and it was working fine. I had reformatted it once because it was getting slow using the windows xp cd and it worked fine. Now i just tried it again and it worked for a while but eventually windows "could not start due to the following file being missing or corrupt" it was something like system32\hll.dll. So i call microsoft and they have me use chkdsk and it finds an error and they tell me to call maxtor(my hard drive maker) so i do and they tell me to run power max. I dont have a floppy drive so i used the iso file and booted from cd and evertyhing like it said, but it doesnt boot from the cd. It goes to the error about the missing file. I know that there is nothing wrong with the booting to cd becasue i can do it with windows xp cd. So i dont know what to do i reformatted again and ran chkdsk and it found errors again and powermax still does not start up. So i have a defective hard drive and no way to prove it. Anyone know why powermax wont start up?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I once had a hard drive that was so problematic that it would not stabilize enough to run the manufacturer's drive fitness software. It was either Maxtor or Western Digital. I called the RMA contact number and explained my dilemma. They understood and issued me an RMA number and exchanged the drive for me. Give it a try. Maybe there is a way yet to allow the CD to check your drive, but I don't know of it, other than trying a fresh CD with the program on it.

Have you considered reinstalling Windows XP in repair mode?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    your file name is probably hal.dll. This file is a core windows file. Thus, try reloading XP again. IF XP will not load right, you have a proven bad HD.
  • edited June 2005
    I've had windows XP not install a few files because of a scratched cd, luckily it was a file that it didnt need (like a font file I believe), so I downloaded it afterwards from the internet. Try using a different CD.. all hard-drives have some messed up sectors... it may not be your HD. Even try cleaning your XP CD and retrying.