6800GT Card Problems - Help Needed Please

edited June 2005 in Hardware
Installed my MSI NX6800GT PCI-X card, i put the extra power cable in to the card but it says the card is not recieving sufficent power and will drop performance to compensate, even tho i can actually overclock it ok, the issue seems to be is wount let me change the speed on the fan and just locks it self at the lowest setting.
Before it loads to windows however the variable fan does seem to work and when it gets to loading windows it turns it self down and i cant change it. I have tried turning extra bits like extra hard drives, fans etc but this doesnt make any difference (its a 550W psu so dont think it will have a problem!). Could the cable im using not be working properly or a driver issue.
Any suggestions welcome Please!
Thanks Chaz

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited June 2005
    Well I just had a vaguely similar problem with my replacement Leadtek 6800nu. I test installed it in P4 rig & all was fine till I tried Cod & then i was getting wierd flashing lines all over the place. I could still see the images but it just had all these flashing lines, didn't matter if the card was standard, overclocked or underclocked.

The problem was psu couldn't supply enough power to the card while the cpu was overclocked, even though it's a 480w psu; once I'd set the cpu to default all was ok. So try reducing the cpu overclock to see if that helps, if you haven't already.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2005
    Chazman wrote:
    its a 550W psu so dont think it will have a problem!
    What type of PSU is it exactly? One of those trashy 500+ PSU you might find as the first search result at pricewatch.com probably can't handle the load that a "real" 400W PSU from Antec or PC Power&Cooling could. Trust me, I know. I made the mistake of buying a "550W" PSU from there and it died fairly quickly. I have a new one on the way right now...

That said, it sounds like a PSU issue to me.
  • edited June 2005
    Hi, guys, Tried both of the suggestions and didnt make any difference, Emmm think its an EZ COOL 550W psu, seems to handle the jobs ok, tried it with basically nothin gbut the bare essentials running and stil no luck.
    The thing that i dont understand is if it is a psu issue then why is it fine until windows start to boot up? Possibly a driver issue? Any other suggestions more than welcome.
    Thanks Chaz
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Doesn't Windows put more stress on a graphics card as opposed to the BIOS and other rudimentary boot screens? That extra stress requires more power. Can you test it out on another brand of PSU?

I had a crappy PSU once, but the only way I knew it was when I'd run games. Other windows apps would work fine. However, as soon as I started a graphically intense game, I'd have BSODs, lockups, and other weird happenings. I figured it was either a bad video card or the card was getting bad power. Only change I made was getting a quality PSU and the problem disappeared.
  • edited June 2005
    Right, have tried it with another computers PSU as well and the prob is still there, put a volt meter across the termianals on the card which the aux power supply goes in to and before having the cable it reads about 1V and with it 12v, obviously this is not to say that it is getting sufficent current but doubt it isnt considering its just to run a bloody fan etc!
    Went in to the debugging thing and found this is the code that it comes up with:
    Event ID:111, Event: Silent Running:HW Clock Slowdown due to Missing Auxillary Power
    Any suggestions please, Knackered Card, any way i can test this? Anywhere i can get it fixed (UK)????

Chaz
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I am going to say it sounds like a cheap PSU and replacing it with a good quality PSU will likely fix the problem. If you could find an Antec, OCZ or some other weel known brand of at least 500W. I tried to Google that PSU you have and mostly came up with links for sale and a couple where users had problems crashing to desktop, etc. It looks like the manufacturer (which is not a well known quality brand) is more concerned with eye appeal than performance.

Have you tried it with your system @ stock speeds? Try running your CPU stock to see if that helps. If it does at al, even just the slightest increase will mean your PSU os not up to the task. The extra power connector going to the vid card provides a lot more than just juice to the fan. It is the source for a large portion of the power for the card itself and will drasticly affect performance! a lot of us here have seen where PSU's rated for 500W + wouldn't run and old Thunderbird 1000 system.
    edited June 2005
    Chaz,
    What was the other PSU brand and wattage you tried? It could be a bad card, but the consensus seems to be PSU problems.
  • edited June 2005
    Not a particullaily powerfull one i have to say, Well it seems i have thoughly underestimated the power needs of this card and going to have to fork out and get a hard core psu, Also have realised buy reading the Nvidia Forum that the PCI-E power cable i have has just 2 cables running in to it (also has an "in" and and "out" so it can fit in between two devices) whereas the "proper" cable should take two Molex rail in to it!!!
    Any PSU suggestions for running:

Thermaltake Aquarius 2 water cooler
    2 IDE HD's, 2SATA HD's
    The 6 Pin PCI-E 6800GT
    Asus A8N-SLI Mobo (24 pin i think)
    3 Additional 80mm Fans
    2 DVD-RW's
    And 2-4" UV Tubes (sorry that ones just so i dont have to buy another light for my room :-) )
    In the UK tho chaps.
    Thanks for all the help guys
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited June 2005
    I have the same mb and video card and am using this:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI

Not a single hiccup.

OOPS! I didn't see the UK requiement. Maybe they'll ship to you although the exchange rate probably sucks!
    edited June 2005
    Chaz, whats your budget, I'm UK based, so I can make some recommendations if I know what sort of money we're talking about.

Based on the amount gear you have in your rig, it ain't gonna be cheap but I know where you can get a PCP & C in the UK . :)
    edited June 2005
    I give another recommendation for PC Power and Cooling. Their support and product quality is outstanding.
    edited June 2005
    They are correct and Jimborae has been very helpful with his recomendations. he can also help if your budget isn't so generous as he knows where to find good equipment at good prices in the UK.
  • edited June 2005
    Hi, emmmmm budget well prefferably £0 but back on planet earth, not sure around the £50 mark would be nice, but i really want a psu with two PCI-E's as one day i want to SLI it, was looking at the thermaltake 680W Silent Power for 85 which is more than i want to pay but then if its going to last for the next 5 years then might be worth it. What are your suggestions??
    Thanks Chaz
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    correct me if im wrong but i hear thermaltake's PSUs arent so great. I'd go with the Antec/Enermax/PCP&C
  • edited June 2005
    Any thoughts on this?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    Go for antec enermax or pc power and cooling.
    edited June 2005
    Chaz I'll do some recommendations however I'd stay away from the Thermaltake as that's the make I had prob's with, with my 6800GT albeit it was a 450w unit not 680w. Mine only had 18 amp on the 12v rail. My PCP&C has 36 amps.
    edited June 2005
    Um well this Tagan 480w looks good, it's sli ready & and has the selectable 12v lines & is pretty much future proof. Costs around £70 & is well regarded.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18525

Has anybody else notice the frightening similarity between Tagan psu's & PCP&C ones.
    edited June 2005
    Here's the link for the PCP&P 510 deluxe SLi, it ain't cheap at £160 but it's widely regarded as one of the best along with OCZ psu's.

http://www.extremeprometeia.com/acatalog/Power_Supplies.html

I also use an OCZ Powerstream 600w model which cost around £145 & is very good.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited June 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Go for antec enermax or pc power and cooling.
    I have to agree with GrayFox, I had a no name power supply in my old computer and it gave me nothing but grief. I went with an Enermax and all my problems went away. I did a lot of reading about power supplies and found out that the power supply is the heart of your computer and the memory is the brains. Now I always buy the best power supply I can afford and the best memory. Then I build the computer around it. Good luck I hope you solve your problem soon.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    Personally I don't like Enermax, I've had 3 & two were bad with fluctuating rails.
  • edited June 2005
    How about this TAGAN one, its 480W and is SLI with 4 SATA cables as well and is one a special offer at £56.34 (£66 ish all next day delivery) including VAT which seems a really good price, heres the link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html#aca_2d000_2dtg

Model:
    Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)
    edited June 2005
    Chazman wrote:
    How about this TAGAN one, its 480W and is SLI with 4 SATA cables as well and is one a special offer at £56.34 (£66 ish all next day delivery) including VAT which seems a really good price, heres the link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html#aca_2d000_2dtg

Model:
    Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG)

Yeah thats basically it's the unsleeved older model of the one I posted, & yes it's a good price so I'd get it.

Be aware that I have real issues with overclockers.co.uk due to their crap customer service when I had to rma something but at that price I'd probably take the risk.
    edited June 2005
    Jim,

Didn't Shorty have problems with overclockers.co.uk about the same time you did? I seem to recall alot of misery in those threads.
  • edited June 2005
    Well gonna give it a go, i dont live a million miles away from overclockers so can give them a good ass wooping if it all goes wrong! :)
  • edited June 2005
    Chazman, do you have an old AT PSU laying around? If so, you could connect that to the video card alone, then start that supply up before booting the PC and see if that helps before you run out and buy a new PSU.

I agree that it's the PSU anyways (it was my first thought), but if you really want to make sure, that's a way to check.

Stupid question: What do the PCIe power connectors look like? This is the first I've even heard of them.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    i think they're 6 pin, 3x2
  • edited June 2005
    Just installed the new power supply and wooopeeee the problem has gone and the machine is running very sweet indeed, now just need up to get the second card and SLI it and ill be away :) Thanks for all the help guys
    Chaz
    edited June 2005
    You're welcome mate, glad we could help. :)

Chalk another one up for Short-Media Tech Support ;D
    edited June 2005
    Woopie!!! :thumbsup:;D