What do you think?(my new rig)

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I believe that I am finally ready to purchase my new system. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their input and putting up with my annoying threads. I would also like to give a special thanks to MtGoat for putting up with all my PM's bombarding him with questions. Everyone on these forums are very nice and it feels like an online family, if you will, the first forum that I've ever encountered that has that feeling and I plan on staying here a long time.

I already have my case, its the Antec SOHO case . I also have my mouse, the mx1000 and i have a generic keyboard. I plan on doing a lot of gaming(mainly world of warcraft) and I plan on this system lasting me about 2 years with minor upgrades.
Here is what I plan on getting:

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
eVGA 6800gt
AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego Core with the Zalman 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Western Digital 250GB SATA HDD
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
NEC Silver IDE Drive
Link Depot Super Flower 550w PSU(doesnt match the color of my fans though!)

I will also get a UPS eventually along with the Hyundai 19 inch LCD monitor.

I would like to hear what you think about my new rig.
Thank you,
Rivers
EDIT: Guess i better update...I made some changes before the purchase a while back, just never posted them.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I think that's a great combination.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2005
    I would suggest getting a trusted psu brand antec enermax or pc power and cooling.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited June 2005
    That's a good system, with only a couple of minor caveats....

if you're into overclocking the 3700 is a bad choice, purely because they don't tend to overclock well (from what I've heard). Don't get me wrong, the 3700 is a fantastic chip but if you're interested in overclocking the 3200 offers better bang for your buck. If you're going to be running at stock this isn't an issue though.

Hard drives: if you plan on doing a lot of gaming, seriosuly consider having seperate drives for operating system / data.... games tend to load a lot faster with this speration. If you can afford it I'd recommend a raptor 74GB as your operating system drive and a large (250GB or so) drive for data.

That being said, both of those suggestions are really minor things, the system you've picked out is fantastic :D
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited June 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    I would suggest getting a trusted psu brand antec enermax or pc power and cooling.

I've done my homework, this PSU can be trusted.

When I first had the idea of building a computer, I thought for sure I was going to overclock. But lately I've been thinking and i really dont think im going to be overclocking. I will look into the 2 diffferent drives for OS and data. Thanks a lot for the replies, keep em' coming!
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    GrayFox wrote:

The super flower is a great PSU built by TTGI.

Tex
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited June 2005
    Wait for the dual core 4400+!!! You'll get twice the total power, and matching single thread power. You'll probably be glad you got one before everyone else, hehe, I need to do that.
    edited June 2005
    D00D wrote:
    Wait for the dual core 4400+!!! You'll get twice the total power, and matching single thread power. You'll probably be glad you got one before everyone else, hehe, I need to do that.

No thank you. I waited about 2 months for the san diego core, I'm not waiting again!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    My Superflower 550 runs all over my Antec True 550 EPS12V. The rails are much steadier and beefier. I was surprised to see how little it takes to pull down my Antec, the Superflower doesn't budge. I aslo learned that the TTGI (Superflower = Link Depot) are not rated @ max but nominal power like the PCP&C!

Rivers,

looks great!
  • edited June 2005
    I'd wait on the video card, as ATI is just about to come out with their next-gen card (and with that, big price drops all around), but otherwise that system is something I wouldn't mind owning, if I had the money. :P
    edited June 2005
    No thank you. I waited about 2 months for the san diego core, I'm not waiting again!
    I really would though, the cpus started shipping June 1st I believe, they should soon be at places like newegg or zzf, etc. And I also agree with the video card, a fair price drop soon. I know you don't want to wait, but if I were you I would, I know what it feels like, I'm waiting right now, maybe for a long time
    :bawling:

Besides, The 4400 is an excellent show moving into season 2 now. :woowoo:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    Should be a great system man! I'm sure you'll love it. Be sure to post some pics when u get it all together :thumbsup:
  • SmallsSmalls Boring Missouri
    edited June 2005
    Your system looks great! I would love to have it!
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    edited June 2005
    PICS!!! I CAN NOT ESTABLISH THE FACT THAT WE WILL NEED PICS ENOUGH! ;D

No pics and I will :shakehead you!
  • edited June 2005
    I think Im ganna make about the same one as you for my friend :D

and do you guys know the hyundai LCD monitor warranty for dead pixels?
    edited June 2005
    Alright, I've decided that im not going to overclock. So if I'm not going to is that RAM really necessary? I need some suggestions for good, cheap RAM that I could use in my computer without suffering any flaws. Thank you
    edited June 2005
    At stock speeds with my 3400+ I used a GB of the cheaper Geil and a GB of Kingston value ram ddr in my DFI ultra. Both worked ok.

Newegg has each for under a $100 a GB (2x512mb)

Tex
  • edited June 2005
    Then I guess I should get a different set as well. my friend wont be OCing either :p
    edited June 2005
    Im buying the system today. I cant stop thinking about SLI though :shakehead
    Keep giving memory suggestions only a few more hours before i buy the rig! :celebrate

EDIT: Screw it, Ill go ahead and get the OCZ RAM, i may OC in the future. I just purchased it!!!! :D:D:D:D
  • AuthorityActionAuthorityAction Missouri Member
    edited June 2005
    Congrats Kyle. All those days of being the breadstick bitch paid off. ;D

We'll have to get together sometime and put this baby to all kinds of tests (mainly for my enjoyment)
    edited June 2005
    Congrats Kyle. All those days of being the breadstick bitch paid off. ;D

We'll have to get together sometime and put this baby to all kinds of tests (mainly for my enjoyment)

;D ROFL

I agree, tell me when and where and ill be there. I heard you got your a+ and network+(?). Congratulations, even though it comes as no surpise. I should be able to get mine next year when i buy my voucher. I just dont know anything about the OS.
    edited June 2005
    Im buying the system today. I cant stop thinking about SLI though :shakehead
    Keep giving memory suggestions only a few more hours before i buy the rig! :celebrate

EDIT: Screw it, Ill go ahead and get the OCZ RAM, i may OC in the future. I just purchased it!!!! :D:D:D:D

The OCZ is great ram.

Tex
  • edited June 2005
    Dude, my 5 year old sister can come up with a better system than this ****. Please make this and let it break in the first month of owning it. It will overheat, and run like a retard at the special olympics. And using a cracked version of Windows will only get you arrested for copyright infrengment.
    edited June 2005
    I think I will wait calmly for others to give you the verbal spanking you deserve.

I'm walking on thin enough ice on this site anyway. No need to get pushed into icy water for the likes of you.

Tex
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Screw the spanking. First post to insult a long time member? You're banned. See ya.
    edited June 2005
    Hey rivers, i think "TusMadre" is one of your friends:

pcp0010356010pcs.indpnd01.mo.comcast.net

email address starts with: ryno5

One of your buddies? :D
    edited June 2005
    Screw the spanking. First post to insult a long time member? You're banned. See ya.

I don't know prime? Spankings can be fun. Hand the paddle to Thrax and stand back. His back swing is sorta dangerous if you catch my drift here. But his follow through seems very sound.

Hey at least I have learned to just back peddle out of the mess.

Tex

PS OK this looks really stupid since you deleted his posts. LMAO
    edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:
    I don't know prime? Spankings can be fun. Hand the paddle to Thrax and stand back. His back swing is sorta dangerous if you catch my drift here. But his follow through seems very sound.

Tex

I agree, took me a minute to catch what was going on, i thought you were saying i deserved a verbal spanking... I know who "ryno5" is, he just left my house 5 minutes ago. I can give you his address if you would like to send him some house-warming gifts :D

BTW the new rig is running great. You guys have been great, thank you.
    edited June 2005
    Then I'm going to reinstate his post to give this exchange a sense of "context" :p

;D
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:

Tex

Oh yea we could it like in dased and confused. :bigggrin:
    edited June 2005
    I am now enlightened into the world of ignorance he lives in. I've seen those "retards" at the special olympics, they can haul some serious ass :thumbsup: You're right though, my system will probably overheat, I mean 5 case fans and a zalman make for horrible cooling :shakehead
    Also, dont use big words Ryan(Ryno5), especially if you can't spell them right. You'll get confused and forget where you are...I think you meant "copyright infringement."